Houston
Sponsored by

Another Houston Institution sold out

8,135 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ChipFTAC01
DiskoTroop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.chron.com/food/article/Shipleys-Donuts-Peak-Rock-capital-private-equity-15853038.php?utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&fbclid=IwAR0wtcViaCjA3vXiuG3hxcYKpTUSEuGV4-p5Fy-06q6ipgcPQngfEVehRfk

Unpopular opinion... Shipley's Donuts aren't that great.

Oh well.
Onceaggie2.0
agreed definitely not worth lining up in your car and blocking traffic.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Good for them. We all should hope to sell out at some point.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
DiskoTroop
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

Good for them. We all should hope to sell out at some point.
There's a perspective I'd not considered...
Silky Johnston
Building a business and then selling it for a giant sum of money? You have never once considered that??
HtownAg92
AG
There may be a few mom and pops that are equal to Ships, but I'd say only Southern Maid tops them for donuts. Lots of better kolache places out there, but not infinitely better. Ships is a solid and convenient, so no knocks on it from me.

Voodoo is a novelty shop. Wow, I can get a wrapped piece of bubble gum on my donut? Or smashed up Captain Crunch? Here's my $4.

Dunkin is absolute crap.

DiskoTroop
Silky Johnston said:

Building a business and then selling it for a giant sum of money? You have never once considered that??
A business? Sure.

An institution? Oooof... No I can't say I'd considered that.
cena05
AG
Old news, right. This was from January.
DiskoTroop
holy hell. you're right. It was on my news ticket like it was new today. Well that's lame.

Whomp whomp
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Pretty sure we discussed it here at the time.

They've already switched to standard sized napkins.....dead to me.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Tell me when they get better coffee.
Irish 2.0
Bakery Donuts on 11th and Shepherd
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Queen Donut. "Yes boss. Thank you boss."
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

Wamitup? Yuwan WAMITUP?!?
Onceaggie2.0
best Kolaches are in Czech Rep i know had a bunch when I was in Prague.
chico
AG
North Main location where to go. Old school recipe (only location) with plain glazed always fresh
I Am A Critic
chico said:

North Main location where to go. Old school recipe (only location) with plain glazed always fresh
The only Tine myth bigger than Jeff Alm's severed dick.
chico
AG
Then why the sharpie pen scratching out some of the ingredient list on the boxes from that location?
AndesAg92
AG
I think everyone can agree.

Their Kolaches work, wish they were better and certainly many better all over the place.

But DAMN, a fresh hot plain glazed is the best donut in America. All about timing to get the freshys though.
The Wonderer
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

This is correct.
MAS444
AG
The North Main location's kolaches were different and better than the others too.
Diggity
AG
the consistent lines spilling onto Ella in the afternoon was a good reminder as to why Houston is so ****ing fat.
The Wonderer
AG
Diggity said:

the consistent lines spilling onto Ella in the afternoon was a good reminder as to why Houston is so ****ing fat.
Left lane, MFer.
Boo Weekley
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

Queen Donut and Summit Donut
Silky Johnston
Those are the same things.
RK
AG
the glazed at the N Main location are definitely different than the others. darker color, crispier exterior shell. whether that's recipe or cooking time/method, i don't know...but they are better than the rest.
Boo Weekley
Diggity said:

That used to be my pre-game tradition for 11am kickoffs. There would always be a line of cars usually through the 34th light on saturday mornings. But park, and walk in (a tall tall order for a lot of people), and it was in and out faster than McDonald's.

Only a complete rookie even thinks about cruising in the right lane heading north on Ella towards 34th at any time of the day, unless you are taking the right towards Shepherd.
Charlie Murphy
Man, no "best doughnuts in houston are made in my backyard" comments yet? I'll blame the heatwave on this slipup.
Texan_Aggie
AG
Bakery Donut on 11th and Hugs & Donuts on 19th are my spots. I don't hate Shipley's, but prefer quality over quantity.
HtownAg92
AG
Boo Weekley said:

Diggity said:

That used to be my pre-game tradition for 11am kickoffs. There would always be a line of cars usually through the 34th light on saturday mornings. But park, and walk in (a tall tall order for a lot of people), and it was in and out faster than McDonald's.

Only a complete rookie even thinks about cruising in the right lane heading north on Ella towards 34th at any time of the day, unless you are taking the right towards Shepherd.
Until they opened the new one on Yale, this was my store. Came at it from 34th WB though, and parked at the auto shop before getting to Ella and walked the gauntlet through drive thru cars.

It is best to avoid the CF that is Ella between 610 and 34th just about any time of day.
AgLA06
AG
HtownAg92 said:

Boo Weekley said:

Diggity said:

Until they opened the new one on Yale, this was my store. Came at it from 34th WB though, and parked at the auto shop before getting to Ella and walked the gauntlet through drive thru cars.

It is best to avoid the CF that is Ella between 610 and 34th just about any time of day.

GOOF thanks you for staying on your side of the tracks.
HtownAg92
AG
AgLA06 said:

HtownAg92 said:

Boo Weekley said:

Diggity said:

I'm all GO, homes.

AgLA06
AG
HtownAg92 said:

AgLA06 said:

HtownAg92 said:

Boo Weekley said:

Diggity said:

I'm all GO, homes.

If Yale is closer, you must be in THAT section of Garden Oaks.
RK
AG
OG Section 1 Garden Oaks is la-jit.
HtownAg92
AG
AgLA06 said:

HtownAg92 said:

AgLA06 said:

HtownAg92 said:

Boo Weekley said:

Diggity said:

I'm all GO, homes.

If Yale is closer, you must be in THAT section of Garden Oaks.
Yep, the Dirty Penny, Uno Loco.

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.