Houston
Sponsored by

Another Houston Institution sold out

8,160 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ChipFTAC01
cajunaggie08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Diggity said:

isn't Dunkin more of a coffee chain these days?
Pretty much. Its part of why they dropped the Donut part of their name. When they first came to the area a few years ago i figured I'd give them a shot. The donuts were just meh. It made me wonder how the hell this became a large national chain. Then i picked up their coffee on the way to a work training and the amount of sugar they shoved in the drink made me realize how this became a popular breakfast spot in the NE before Starbucks fully took over. When you think of it as a coffee shop with donuts it changes the expectation completely than if you go to it thinking its a donut shop that happens to have coffee (like shipley's)
Stat Monitor Repairman
TXAG 05 said:

Dunkin Donuts is opening a store practically across the street front the Ella Shipley store. Bold move.

So lines of cars down both sides of the street.

Maybe they'll have a dance off like the Thriller video.
Diggity
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Maybe they'll have a dance off like the Thriller video.
TXAG 05
AG
The Wonderer said:

TXAG 05 said:

Dunkin Donuts is opening a store practically across the street front the Ella Shipley store. Bold move.
Where?

In the old Carl's Jr. building.
The Wonderer
AG
TXAG 05 said:

The Wonderer said:

TXAG 05 said:

Where?

In the old Carl's Jr. building.
Yikes, Ella/610 corner is going to be even more of a CF in the morning.
htxag09
AG
The wife and I were considering GO/OF. A few weeks ago we had an early dinner at Aladdins so dealt with rush hour traffic. We quickly realized we want to have no part in dealing with that crap daily.
The Wonderer
AG
htxag09 said:

The wife and I were considering GO/OF. A few weeks ago we had an early dinner at Aladdins so dealt with rush hour traffic. We quickly realized we want to have no part in dealing with that crap daily.
If you know the other roads, you can avoid most of that crap. I live on Wakefield and office at 290/610 and never deal with rush hour traffic by taking other non-major routes.
ptothemo
AG
Dunkin : Boston :: Shipley : Houston

Realizing that Dunkin is more national than Shipley and all of that, the comparison fails in some ways. But knowing people from Boston and that area, you would think that Dunkin glazed their donuts and sweetened their coffee with actual gold dust. Those same people will trash Shipley to no end.
David_Puddy
AG
htxag09 said:

You're getting your wife an OnlyFans account? Bold move, Cotton
Jock 07
AG
Doesn't dunkin pump their donuts full of preservatives and ship their donuts to all this locations? They are definitely trash.
HtownAg92
AG
I don't see a new Dunkin putting that much more strain on Ella. The Dunkin on Yale is a ghost town most of the time because their donuts suck. I agree that it is a bold, but stupid, move.

That's like putting an On The Border next to a Ninfa's or El Tiempo.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Yes the Dunkin donuts are basically shipped in frozen.
AndesAg92
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Yes the Dunkin donuts are basically shipped in frozen.

Sounds like the donut discussion between the two is over with. No doubter.

Shipleys coffee is roadhouse style. I would assume dunkins is better but that's not the argument.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I worked at Dunkin for their aborted growth into Houston back in 08. The real strategy/goal was to just get by on selling you donuts until they became your goto stop for a cup of coffee. Obviously the profit margins on coffee are astomoically hire on coffee than food.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.