Houston
Sponsored by

Fav Banh Mi in Houston?

8,289 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by jayelbee
RK
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jetch17 said:

The fried pork banh mi at hughies is the shiiiiiiiit

A shaking beef one would be off the GD chain

Their shaking beef is all of the ballz.
jetch17
AG
I'm just too much of a sucker for the SB fried rice

Why not both?
drmwvr
AG
Went to Pho Huy for lunch. Excellent recommendation! Had the pork Bahn Mi and number 21 pho which is labeled as "clean meat"! Very important!

Ragoo
AG
Yes, it is just sliced brisket and no fat. So good. The broth makes it. I usually pile on the sprouts and parsley. Plus hoisin sauce. So jealous.
Bockaneer
AG
Love Hughie's! Btw, their Spicy fried rice is my absolute favorite fried rice.

Old Saigon has a fantastic Shaking Beef Banh Mi. And they give you a free spoon of Creme Brle.
jetch17
AG
Pho Huy is a weekly staple fo sho when I'm actually in the office
cwpaggie07
AG
White Elm Cafe on memorial has a duck banh mi that is solid
digging tunnels
AG
As your resident Vietnamese guy on the board, Roostar is my favorite one by far. Their bread is on point

Hughie's is also very solid. They used to have a specialty banh mi sandwich that was my favorite, but I can't get it anymore. It had the traditional meats on it that I can't describe to y'all.

Regardless of what sandwich you get, you have to have the pate on it. That puts the sandwich over the top for me, imo
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Les Givrals for me as well
Echoes97
AG
I work up on the upper east side, and am damn fond of Kim's Pho and Grill #2 (45 and West Rd.-ish). Grilled Pork Banh Mi's are excellent!
Us And Them - The Pink Floyd Experience
http://www.usandthemband.net
Cromagnum
AG
How come The Tine doesn't have a restaurant called "Tippin on Pho Phos" ?
jetch17
AG
Cromagnum said:

Phokin' talmbout
Ag_07
AG
Cromagnum said:

Sounds like a perfect name for a soul food/Vietnamese fusion food truck
HtownAg92
AG
Ag_07 said:

Cromagnum said:

Sounds like a perfect name for a soul food/Vietnamese fusion food truck
I'm still waiting on my trademark for my Vietnamese barbeque fusion place: Pho Que

No longer on the West side for work, so don't get to Bellaire Blvd as much. Favorites back then were Paris and Alpha Bakery in the Hong Kong mall.
NoahAg
My dry cleaner's back yard.
Aggie09Derek
AG
NoahAg said:

Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Banh mi with no pate is a burger with no cheese.
HtownAg92
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

NoahAg said:

Unemployed
AG
Damn people, it's banh and not bahn!!
Ag_07
AG
Feel better?
Diggity
AG
RealTalk said:

so seu me
Unemployed
AG
Diggity said:

RealTalk said:

so seu me
Pho Que

* Proper credit goes to HTownAg92.
Boo Weekley
phideaux_2003 said:

I'll kick it off with an obvious choice...

Roostar
Clicked on thread to post this. And I hate to say it, but their chicken banh-mi is legit. I never thought I would depart from the pork, but I'm about 50/50. My close second fav is Hughies.
Boo Weekley
Ragoo said:

Pho Huey and it isn't close.
Their banh me is solid but not my personal number one, but their pho-tai is the best I have ever had and it's not even close. It is pure perfection. I go there about once a week and even did when I lived further away.

And if you don't get the meat on the side w/ pho tai, you're doing it wrong.
HtownAg92
AG
Boo Weekley said:

phideaux_2003 said:

Roostar
Clicked on thread to post this. And I hate to say it, but their chicken banh-mi is legit. I never thought I would depart from the pork, but I'm about 50/50. My close second fav is Hughies.
I've never been to Roostar so I checked their menu. $6.50 for a banh mi? What kind of hisptered-up culture-appropriating outfit are they running there?

Banh Mi is supposed to be 3 bucks or less, per Vietnamese tradition.

I think I'll head to Cali Sandwich for lunch and get a loaded sang and some Vietnamese egg rolls because I have a ten that I need to break.
redag06
I have a great spot, Vietnamese bakery on Veterans Memorial north of Gunspoint, about a year and a half ago they were 3.75 for their most expensive bahn mi, now there is nothing cheaper than 4.50. Don't think I'd want to risk eating a $3 one these days.

Not sure if you've noticed but everything is more expensive.
one MEEN Ag
AG
HtownAg92 said:

Boo Weekley said:

phideaux_2003 said:

Roostar
I've never been to Roostar so I checked their menu. $6.50 for a banh mi? What kind of hisptered-up culture-appropriating outfit are they running there?

I think I'll head to Cali Sandwich for lunch and get a loaded sang and some Vietnamese egg rolls because I have a ten that I need to break.
Meh.

You could make the same argument for any upscale mexican or bbq restaurant. 'Doesn't El Tiempo know that fajitas were traditionally made with scrap cuts of meat?' Yeah they know - they also know it tastes better with higher quality cuts of beef.
rononeill
Not sure if it's still there, but Alpha Bakery in Hong Kong City Mall is super strong. Right across the street from Nguyen Ngo. I asked about the eyeball intestine loaf one time and the toothless old man in line behind me waved me off w a very direct: you no like, to much cholesterol for white boy.

I'll never forget him.
DiskoTroop
HtownAg92 said:

Boo Weekley said:

phideaux_2003 said:

Roostar

Look... I know.

But their sandwich is the best. Dedicated Banh mi place. They don't have pho or vermicelli bowls. Their bread, meat, veg, sauces... they're better than the average. Significantly.

And please don't confuse my preference for them as being dismissive of every other sandwich mentioned in this thread. I have had many of them and they are all quite good.
HtownAg92
AG
I know, and I will definitely try it.

My commentary is more of a longing for the good old days when you could get certain staples for a song, like bbq, Tex Mex, taqueria tacos, Vietnamese sangs, crawfish, oysters, beer...

Speaking of, you want some fantastic, old school, grease bomb tacos for cheap -- Brother's Taco House on Emancipation. Sorry for the thread derail.
BohunkAg
AG
RealTalk said:

Sincerely, meat kolaches
Unemployed
AG
HtownAg92 said:

My commentary is more of a longing for the good old days when you could get certain staples for a song, like bbq, Tex Mex, taqueria tacos, Vietnamese sangs, crawfish, oysters, beer...

Speaking of, you want some fantastic, old school, grease bomb tacos for cheap -- Brother's Taco House on Emancipation. Sorry for the thread derail.
What are Vietnamese sangs?
Diggity
AG
agreed. You also don't have to ask for "double meat" like many of the more traditional places on this list.

You are definitely paying a premium for a higher end buildout (not smelling sewage gas is nice sometimes) and better food quality though.
BohunkAg
AG
Diggity said:

agreed. You also don't have to ask for "double meat" like many of the more traditional places on this list.

You are definitely paying a premium for a higher end buildout (not smelling sewage gas is nice sometimes) and better food quality though.
That's called ambiance, sir.
HtownAg92
AG
RealTalk said:

HtownAg92 said:

What are Vietnamese sangs?
Don't you speak border Spanglish? A "sang" is short for "sangwish".
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.