Houston
Sponsored by

Fav Banh Mi in Houston?

8,150 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by jayelbee
one MEEN Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Diggity said:

agreed. You also don't have to ask for "double meat" like many of the more traditional places on this list.

You are definitely paying a premium for a higher end buildout (not smelling sewage gas is nice sometimes) and better food quality though.
And increased sanitation methods.

There's a local pho place I went to with coworkers one time. The coworker had remarked that they came there one time when it was slow and saw one of the workers mopping the floor, then take the mop and put it on the table to clean the table and then go back to the floor.

Funny enough, he still ate there and kept recommending it to us.

"Just keep your food in the little baskets they give you' was his thought process. The food was delicious though.
HtownAg92
AG
Dirty mop water smell = authentic Vietnamese street cred
Aggie09Derek
AG
Les Givrals has been closed the last two times I've been the last couple of weeks...any idea what is going on?
BBRex
AG
RealTalk said:

Damn people, it's banh and not bahn!!
Although "Auto Bahn Mi" would make a good name for a German-Vietnamese fusion restaurant.
HtownAg92
AG
BBRex said:

RealTalk said:

Damn people, it's banh and not bahn!!
Although "Auto Bahn Mi" would make a good name for a German-Vietnamese fusion restaurant.
Jersey cheesesteak - Vietnamese fusion restaurant: Jon Banh JoMi
Diggity
AG
you give puns...a bad name
HtownAg92
AG
Diggity said:

you give puns...a bad name
Awesome
ClutchCityAg
TX04Aggie said:

Le baguette on Ella and 34th is tasty. Also, second Roostar
Le Baguette +1, try the butter chicken banh mi for something unique and delicious
Let it ride
ClutchCityAg
Aggie09Derek said:

Les Givrals has been closed the last two times I've been the last couple of weeks...any idea what is going on?
Remodeling I think.. was needed
Let it ride
drumboy
AG
Forgot about Les Baget, they're very good. I believe same folks at Les Noodle & Les Givrals.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
DiskoTroop
Just ordered a pork banh mi at Pho Huy... we'll see what it's all about!!

Dude just walked in after parking his work truck, in a work shirt and steel toes and REEKED of weed. Sometimes I miss spring branch...
T Durden
AG
phideaux_2003 said:

Just ordered a pork banh mi at Pho Huy... we'll see what it's all about!!

Dude just walked in after parking his work truck, in a work shirt and steel toes and REEKED of weed. Sometimes I miss spring branch...

How else do you take the edge off of working for the man?
DiskoTroop
Sooo it wasn't bad. But three complaints...

1: I ordered pork and got beef.
2: No jalapeno??
3: Beef had two big ole hunks of inedible fat.

Pros:

1: pickled carrot was awesome
2: bread was really good
3: the edible meat was really good.

If they fix some execution issues, they could compete with Roostar...
jetch17
AG
https://thedailyhoustonnews.com/the-vietnamese-restaurant-les-givrals-in-houston-has-closed/
Ag_07
AG
Did you schedule a sit down with the owner to discuss the issues and offer your foodie expertise on how you think they should run their business?
DiskoTroop
Well I AM a very active eater in Houston...
Aggie09Derek
AG
Wonder if lease dispute or what.seems like could move to a similar location and still kill it. It was always busy, if I owned it I would have stayed open till at least 9pm though and raised prices by 20-30%.
mikeiah
AG
My buddy told me awhile back that they owned the jewelry store across the street. Strange that they're closing. Pretty sad. Actually one of my favorites.

For bnh m, my favorites are (were) Les Givrals, Thien An, Cali Sandwich for ITL. Hughies is pretty good. I try not to venture to Bellaire too much (traffic/bad drivers - I'm Vietnamese- it's true.) Those spots feed me plenty well.

You really can't mess up a banh mi. Unless it was Les Givrals Kahve on Washington. That was the worst in my life. I'm still upset thinking about it. I'm glad they're closed.
Glish21
AG
Thien Anh for sure is my number one.

Roostar/Hughies both great
jetch17
AG
Going for a Father's Day shaking beef banh mi at hughies for dinner tonight
jetch17
AG
Sh*t was off the chain

Anubus
I've been wanting to try Banh Mi for awhile and I was in town Friday with a friend so we went to Roostar because of what I read on here. It was fantastic.
ClutchCityAg
Anubus said:

I've been wanting to try Banh Mi for awhile and I was in town Friday with a friend so we went to Roostar because of what I read on here. It was fantastic.
As good as the sandwich is.. the best thing at Roostar is that soup you get with it
Let it ride
digging tunnels
AG
So I'm trying Pho Huy right now for the first time because of the board recommendation. Got both pho and banh mi.

The pho is pretty good but still missing something in the broth, but can't put my finger on it. Still not as good (as expected) as my go-to places in Chinatown. I would eat pho here again

The banh mi didnt blow me away at all. Bread was good but the meat was ok. Hughie's and Roostar are much much better. I'll have to try another sandwich and give it a second chance
Ag_07
AG
Their chargrilled chicken steamed rice plate is incredibly good. So are the pork vermicelli bowls.

There's better pho in the neighborhood and I've yet to try their bahn mi. If that what I want I'll just go to Rooster down the street.

Still a really solid place I just don't go there for what you ordered.
RVAg02
AG
which soup is fav?
ClutchCityAg
RVAg02 said:

which soup is fav?
Thai Chicken *chef's kiss*
Let it ride
Post removed:
by user

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.