Houston
Sponsored by

Odds on the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo occurring in 2021?

23,152 Views | 173 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Texaggie7nine
98Ag99Grad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I hope they have a show for the vendors sake. I remember seeing so many people last year on the news who lost money and were maybe going to lose their business when everything was shutdown.
Betoisafurry
If there is no hlsr, that is the time to march from our suburbs and show little Lina we mean business
Jugstore Cowboy
AG

Quote:

In order to safely host a livestock competition and follow the health and safety guidelines, the Livestock Show will focus solely on the Junior Show and select Youth Show events and we will not hold the adult-focused Open Show in 2021.

Quote:

The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo is planning for participants to be able to compete in the 2021 Houston Livestock Show Junior Show, following the necessary health and safety protocols in place. Specific health and safety guidelines for Junior Show exhibitors will be posted as soon as they are finalized. Livestock entries for the 2021 Junior Show will open Nov. 15 and close Dec. 15, 2020. Junior Show competitions include Breeding Beef Heifers, Breeding Gilts, Breeding Sheep, Dairy Cattle, Market Barrows, Market Broilers, Market Goats, Market Lambs, Market Steers and Market Turkeys. In addition, various judging competitions and contests will be held, including Ag Mechanics, Archery, Industrial Craft, and Young Guns Shooting Sports and some virtual events like the Ag Science Fair and Public Speaking Contests. Youth competitions that will take place include Youth Meat Pen Rabbits, Youth Breeding Rabbit/Cavy, and Llama & Alpaca shows.

By foregoing the Open Show and focusing primarily on the Junior Show, it limits the number of participants on-site and allows event organizers to spread out Junior Show events over a longer period of time, allowing for the proper health and safety measures to be followed for the safety of exhibitors and guests.

"While our 2021 Livestock Show might look different amidst COVID-19, we are optimistic that we will be able to welcome back our Open Show exhibitors to the Rodeo grounds in 2022, and give them the experience that they deserve and expect at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo," Boleman said.

Additional plans for the 2021 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, as well as full health and safety guidelines will be announced toward the end of the year
Jackal99
AG
For those of who don't speak Rodeo, what is the Open Show? I assume the Junior Show is the stuff in the NRG Center halls. Is the Open Show the stuff in the NRG Arena? It obviously sounds stripped-down, just curious how much.
agnerd
AG
They sent out a survey to season ticket holders asking:

1. Do you plan to keep your tickets?
2. What if you have to wear a mask and move to different location?
3. What if there's only rodeo without any concerts but tickets are cheaper?

Jugstore Cowboy
AG
That statement was about the fat stock show and other exhibitions/events, not the "rodeo."

Clarification went out today:
Quote:

Recent decisions, such as this week's announcement regarding the Livestock Show portion only is not reflective or indicative of other decisions related to the many other aspects of the Show such as entertainment, Rodeo competitions, horse show, carnival, shopping, dining, etc.

This week's announcement also states that "additional plans for the 2021 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, as well as full health and safety guidelines, will be announced toward the end of the year."
Jackal99
AG
Harry Lime said:

That statement was about the fat stock show and other exhibitions/events, not the "rodeo."

Quote:

Recent decisions, such as this week's announcement regarding the Livestock Show portion only is not reflective or indicative of other decisions related to the many other aspects of the Show such as entertainment, Rodeo competitions, horse show, carnival, shopping, dining, etc.

This week's announcement also states that "additional plans for the 2021 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, as well as full health and safety guidelines, will be announced toward the end of the year."

Okay. For those of us who don't speak Livestock Show, what if the Open Show?
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
The events are listed in the gd statement.
I Am A Critic
Jackal99 said:

Harry Lime said:

Quote:

Basically, anyone showing animals beyond 12th grade.
digging tunnels
AG
Open show is the first week of rodeo in the NRG Center. These are mainly exhibitors who are selling/showing off their cattle. It's not where the kids are showing
Jackal99
AG
I Am A Critic said:

Jackal99 said:

Harry Lime said:

Quote:

Basically, anyone showing animals beyond 12th grade.

Thank you.
TXAG 05
AG
https://www.rodeohouston.com/News/Article/ArtMID/494/ArticleID/2745/Houston-Livestock-Show-and-Rodeo-Announces-Plans-for-2021-Rodeo-Now-Scheduled-for-May-4--23-2021
Chewy
AG
Rodeo moved to May 4 through 23. Interesting move but I get why.
Ag_07
AG
I don't get it

The same crap has been going on since March so what's gonna change in pushing it back a month or two?

Again it's just kicking the can down the road.
jja79
AG
Fat Stock Show? I haven't heard that term since I was a kid at Fort Stockton in the 60's and 70's and everyone was excited about going to San Angelo.
Chewy
AG
Livestock Show is happening in March

Rodeo is being pushed to May. Rodeo is a numbers game. March wasn't looking good for attendance so they're hoping by May there will be normalcy so more can attend which means more money.

OTC has also be pushed to August because of this.
TXAG 05
AG
Ag_07 said:

I don't get it

The same crap has been going on since March so what's gonna change in pushing it back a month or two?

It is. But this gives better chances of actually having the rodeo.
redag06
Well at least it won't be cold at Cookoff.
78_Pacecar
AG
I suppose they believe that with the extra time there will be more distribution of the vaccine, enough that even Dora the Explora and Sly would allow such a gathering.

bigjag19
AG
redag06 said:

That's cute.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
jja79 said:

Fat Stock Show? I haven't heard that term since I was a kid at Fort Stockton in the 60's and 70's and everyone was excited about going to San Angelo.
My dear old mother has never been able to call the HLSR anything other than "tha fat stock show," because that's what they called it when she was growing up. I mix it into conversation every now and then.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
redag06 said:

I really doubt there's a cookoff any time in 2021, unless they do a very small, closed judging competition. No way they want to deal with the PR after all the mythology and B.S. about Patient Zero spreading the contagion at cookoff this year.
jja79
AG
By the way San Angelo is going forward with the full rodeo, stock show, midway, the whole deal this year.

Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Ag_07 said:

I don't get it

BC our elected officials wouldnt sign the permit for March.
redag06
bigjag19 said:

redag06 said:

That's cute.
I would prefer the cooler weather than most nights in May, but I doubt there is a cookoff in 2021.
BarryProfit
Hildago just tweeted re: May.... we'll see about it.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Political opinion speaking, I hope she does shut it down. It'll be the end of her in politics.
W
AG
Turner's statement was semi-optimistic.

Hidalgo's was not --- doesn't seem interested

Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I think it's been that way all year. Turner is a Dem, but he's a little more pragmatic. Hidalgo is just a power hungry child.
BarryProfit
Anyone still think this is going to happen?
TXAG 05
AG
I wouldn't get your hopes up. The livestock show will happen, but I doubt the rodeo, cookoff, etc happens.
Diggity
AG
not a chance.
BarryProfit
Agree
Post removed:
by user
strohag
AG
No way cookoff happens. It's arses to elbows every year. How are you going to enforce masks when literally everyone in there has a drink in their hand the whole time.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.