Houston
Sponsored by

Odds on the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo occurring in 2021?

22,977 Views | 173 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Texaggie7nine
GEA89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not looking good IMO as acts have to be booked and a lot of planning has to be ongoing now.
Ag_07
AG
95%...Planning is ongoing. It actually never stopped

If there can be fans at NRG for a Texans game there can be a HLSR.
rancher1953
The Honorable Mayor Turner and Honorable Harris County Judge Hidalgo have said not NO but HELL NO.
Gap
AG
Who is going to be touring in March or near ready to tour?
JYDog90
AG
I read a thread on here that we should get ready for the level of acts that play the Hideout as opposed to the big stage.

I'm guessing folks like Pat Green, Cory Morrow
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
What will be different in March than current conditions? If current conditions call for 25% max, how will we ever move beyond that in the next few years unless lawmakers change their attitudes?
AustinCountyAg
Gap said:

lol..."ready to tour"....

do they need to get their arms in shape? have to start with a couple miles first before marathon distance?
Ag_07
AG
Gap said:

Musicians who aren't also producers, don't have a ton of side projects, and make a boat load on live shows are hurting right now.

They're chomping at the bit ready to play in front of audiences. Finding performers won't be a problem at all.
Proposition Joe
All musicians are "chomping at the bit" to perform - yet almost all major tours are getting pushed out to late Q2/Q3.

When you are selling the stadium at 25% capacity, even if those performers are available to be booked, the revenue decrease makes it unlikely you can afford to book them.

If the concerts take place, it will likely be a bargain-basement lineup... You'll still get a few great second-tier country acts (like a Cody Johnson and the like), but you the 4-5 nights of big time artists likely aren't going to happen.
Foamcows
AG
The rodeo concert setup is ideal for social distancing... The stage is 100 ft from the nearest person
tamuags08
AG
Concerts on zoom
htxag09
AG
TXAG 05
AG
Willy Wonka said:

I read a thread on here that we should get ready for the level of acts that play the Hideout as opposed to the big stage.

Pat and Cory are bigger than hideout level acts, but it wouldn't surprise me to see a lot of those types of guys on the lineup if there is one.
78_Pacecar
AG
TXAG 05 said:

Willy Wonka said:

Pat and Cory are bigger than hideout level acts, but it wouldn't surprise me to see a lot of those types of guys on the lineup if there is one.
Would make for a better Rodeo and concert that inviting Cardi-B or K-Pop IMO
AGHouston11
AG
The concerts usually suck!
Post removed:
by user
TXAG 05
AG
AGHouston11 said:

The concerts usually suck!

Dynamite drop in Monty
JYDog90
AG
TXAG 05 said:

Willy Wonka said:

I agree. However, I seem to remember that typically you'd have one or two Hideout acts that were kinda middling (too big for hideout but not quite big enough for the big stage on their own).
HtownAg92
AG
Isn't the "LS" part of "HLSR" a big part of it? Like the supposedly main reason for it (scholarships). The livestock show is how Dora and Sly can justify a shutdown -- large indoor gathering with minimal ability to social distance. Those kids are jammed into the convention center a-hole to elbow for long periods of time. They are kids, so they need chaperones, parents, etc. To Dora and Sly, this is a super-spreader potential that "we are not ready to allow yet." Carnival would be out too.

If they just move forward with rodeo and concerts, it will distort the message that this is all for the kids.

There are many major events in 2021 that have already been cancelled. This is early March, during flu season. I'll put the odds of this happening at <5%.

Ag_07
AG
With minimal visitors it's actually pretty easy to social distance at the LS. The stalls in the center are spread out and the chaperones are typically their parents.

My in laws raise show cattle and there a shows ongoing right now.

I would expect no exhibitors, minimal visitors, and no carnival. It can be done.
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
HtownAg92 said:

Isn't the "LS" part of "HLSR" a big part of it? Like the supposedly main reason for it (scholarships). The livestock show is how Dora and Sly can justify a shutdown -- large indoor gathering with minimal ability to social distance. Those kids are jammed into the convention center a-hole to elbow for long periods of time. They are kids, so they need chaperones, parents, etc. To Dora and Sly, this is a super-spreader potential that "we are not ready to allow yet." Carnival would be out too.

If they just move forward with rodeo and concerts, it will distort the message that this is all for the kids.

There are many major events in 2021 that have already been cancelled. This is early March, during flu season. I'll put the odds of this happening at <5%.

We might as well just shut it down for 2022 as well.
HtownAg92
AG
I'm not in favor of shutdown at all. I love the rodeo. I'm just guessing the talking points from the dynamic duo running our county and city.
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
HtownAg92 said:

I'm not in favor of shutdown at all. I love the rodeo. I'm just guessing the talking points from the dynamic duo running our county and city.
I know, I get what you were saying. I'm talking more to Lina and Sly - if the current level is still "too risky" to have events, then we're just not going to have events for years.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
HtownAg92 said:

We are definitely having a stock show.

We are getting zero help from our fearful leaders of Harris County and CoH.

buda91
AG
HtownAg92 said:

LS is definitely a big part of it. Scholarship is the MAIN part of it, and LS is only a part of the scholarship aspect. A whole lot of the scholarship money comes from the carnival, exhibits, rodeo and concerts. I hope it all happens, and I'm a there-every-day guy. To date I haven't heard any concrete rumors of anything getting cancelled. (... But I'm usually terrible at monitoring for rumors, and also probably wouldn't share them here if I did here somethjng).
The TC Jester
Oh no, no J Balvin, Florida Georgia Line or Cardi B, whatever will I do???

In all seriousness, I hope it happens for the workers who put so much time into it, and most of all the thousands of people who are helped as a direct result.

Just selfishly wish it would go back to it's roots a bit and feel like more of an actual HLSR. Each year the calendar gets more and more cringey. Why not just go to all K-Pop, Latino and Rap acts, if it's only about the money??

I am glad that morbidly obese naked black chick couldn't perform this year. Not sorry.
HtownAg92
AG
The TC Jester said:

Oh no, no J Balvin, Florida Georgia Line or Cardi B, whatever will I do???

In all seriousness, I hope it happens for the workers who put so much time into it, and most of all the thousands of people who are helped as a direct result.

Just selfishly wish it would go back to it's roots a bit and feel like more of an actual HLSR. Each year the calendar gets more and more cringey. Why not just go to all K-Pop, Latino and Rap acts, if it's only about the money??

I am glad that morbidly obese naked black chick couldn't perform this year. Not sorry.
You aren't alone, but I just avoid those nights. I've been going since the '70's and I think the only non-country, non-Go Tejano acts I've seen are Skynyrd and Amy Grant (who was with Vince Gill).
GEA89
AG
Remember when it was 14 days to stop the curve?
ccolley68
AG
TXAG 05 said:

Willy Wonka said:

I don't see the issue with these guys and their ilk playing. Hell, give me PG and CM, throw in Cody Johnson, Jon Wolfe, Roger Creager, Josh Abbott, Randy Rogers, Aaron Watson, Charlie Robison and a few more like that and you'd have an amazing concert lineup. I'd go to several nights instead of 1 or 2.

You may not pack the stands with Cholos and Cholitas like Tejano night, but you will pack it with people who will actually spend money and enjoy what the rodeo has to offer, not just the free tickets their boss didn't want.
JSKolache
AG
ccolley68 said:

TXAG 05 said:

Willy Wonka said:

I don't see the issue with these guys and their ilk playing. Hell, give me PG and CM, throw in Cody Johnson, Jon Wolfe, Roger Creager, Josh Abbott, Randy Rogers, Aaron Watson, Charlie Robison and a few more like that and you'd have an amazing concert lineup. I'd go to several nights instead of 1 or 2.

You may not pack the stands with Cholos and Cholitas like Tejano night, but you will pack it with people who will actually spend money and enjoy what the rodeo has to offer, not just the free tickets their boss didn't want.
Creager, Fowler, et al usually play the outdoor/cookoff stage on the first weekend
BMX Bandit
Love a lot of those guys, but few would pack the house
Ducks4brkfast
AG
VC's met last night and the go/no go decision date is 12/15 in terms of what HLSR will look like in 2021.
TXAG 05
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

VC's met last night and the go/no go decision date is 12/15 in terms of what HLSR will look like in 2021.

Sounds about right. I was thinking somewhere between Thanksgiving and early December. Probably smart to see how NFR goes, then pull the trigger.
agnerd
AG
78_Pacecar said:

TXAG 05 said:

Willy Wonka said:

Would make for a better Rodeo and concert that inviting Cardi-B or K-Pop IMO
Leave Cardi-B alone! I paid for like 6 concert tickets after selling the ticket to that one show.
Buck Turgidson
Will Democrats still be running Houston and Harris County? I think we know they'll milk this bull**** as long as they can.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.