Houston
Sponsored by

Residential Architect recommendations

1,928 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by fishJones
mproebuck09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm looking to see if anyone has any recommendations for architects they've used for their custom home. We re wanting our house to be 4000-4300 SF, open floor plan, and a combination of country French and English style. We have a 1 acre lot and are wanting an architect that would just do the design for us and not require using their construction management services.

We would also prefer to just pay per square foot as opposed to charging a % of total build cost.
Bubba smollett
Art Vandelay\
MAS444
AG
Kelly Cusimano
pdawg10384
AG
I really like Kelly Cusimano houses (more on transitional side), but he's pretty expensive and charges by the hour.

Todd Rice is the default for many builders and should be considered. He charges by the foot.

I recently used Aaron Lytal and was pretty happy. His 3d software is pretty neat and allows you to view every room and exterior in a 3d walk-thru, almost like a video game, which allows you to catch things that would be easy to miss in a 2d format. He will be the cheapest of these 3 options.

(Not sure about Kelly, but other 2 are not certified architects. They are home designers. Most homes are not designed by architects, as the complexity isn't near the same as large scale projects.)

Good luck
dulak
AG
We used Brickmoon Design for our house currently under construction and it was a good experience overall. As a bonus, the owner is an Aggie.

They charge by the design sq ft and progress the drawings in stages - they dont move to the next stage until you sign off on the previous stage.

Site inspections and interior design services are an additional fee billed at an hourly rate.

We also had them provide the geotechnical investigation/report, structural engineering design and energy consultant in our contract.

HeightsAg
Another vote for Brickmoon. We used them for our house in the Heights and they were amazing. Jeremy is a good dude.
SnowboardAg
AG
Todd Rice. He has a wealth of knowledge, experience and to me knows what works and what doesn't. He also has an incredible database of plans and pictures to leverage ideas.

Cusimano was great to talk to and does outstanding work, but I thought he would blow our budget.

While we really liked Cusimano, we felt that Todd understood our project concept the best and meshed with our approach / style. Todd is confident in his work and could help me make the right investment decisions (bc I want a house that sells more than too custom / out there).
CyAg86
AG
Wyrick Residential Design, Chris Wyrick. Very pleased, we built our own custom on a 1 acre lot.
The Kraken
AG
HeightsAg said:

Another vote for Brickmoon. We used them for our house in the Heights and they were amazing. Jeremy is a good dude.
I've known Jeremy for over 20 years. I've never worked with him professionally but can vouch for his character as well.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Sam Gianukos at Creole Design.
fishJones
AG
As a custom home builder, I can tell you that each of the architects suggested above are great options. We have built for all of them with the exception of Cusimano.

Of course if you need a builder - let me know.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.