Houston
Sponsored by

Braeburn/Maplewood Areas - Buying

11,459 Views | 119 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Diggity
Steve McQueen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Didn't realize there were so many Ags in the area... Wife and I have been in Willowbend (just southeast of the SPO intersection) for 3 years.

We moved from Montrose once we got pregnant and couldn't be happier with the neighborhood. Big age gulf with tons of blue hairs (some original owners!) and then young families in their late 20's / early 30's, but we love it.

Guess it's nearing time for us to start thinking in earnest about schooling as our twochebag approaches 3. We're zoned to Red Elementary and may roll the dice... any thoughts?
TexAg2001
AG
PoopyPullup said:

also Teotihuacan has been very consistent for us, and they are fast! Only other mexican place we go to is Carmelita's and I don't like it nearly as much
I guess I shouldn't say that Teo's is inconsistent. We go fairly often and I like to try something different each time I go. Most of the time it's great, but every so often I choose something that isn't a hit with me. We ordered to go from there a few weeks ago an was very impressed. Portions were very generous. I tried a mixed plate they call "El Picudo", which featured an avocado stuffed with chicken fajita and cheese. It was REALLY good.
Diggity
AG
Have you tried the carnitas? Different style there but excellent.
Mack Brown on a Mobile
AG
We have a rent house on Kingfisher and love ourselves in Meyerland. Great area with lots of young families. Red is not great but seems to be headed in the right direction. You can magnet to Parker, Kolter, or Lovett, which are all very close or Trafton academy is across the street from Red And is a very reasonable private school. Our kids went to Lovett and then one went to Trafton four middle school
Diggity
AG
Red is fine, but I would go with something zoned to Parker or Kolter in Westbury/Parkwest if schools are a priority.

I would advise people not to count on the magnet program. They have limited spots for a lot of applicants. Always good to be zoned to a good neighborhood school where people around you have kids attending.

I think there about 10 kids on our extended street that will all be going to Kindergarten together. That will make the transition much easier.
jaggiemaggie
AG
jaggiemaggie said:

Here's a listing in our area:

For Sale

And depending on your timeline, there seems to be 3-4 houses being flipped right now on Oasis drive.

Looks like they just lowered the price by $10k
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
aTm_bomb said:

PoopyPullup said:

Mose Schrute said:

Juuuuust a bit outside our price range (first home btw). Great looking home though!
you might look at some of the homes that are for sale on willowbend blvd, being on the busier street keeps the values down a bit but it's nothing like bellfort, hillcroft, or chimney rock. There are a few that have been sitting a while.
May not be as busy but people fly down willowbend since there is only 1 light that doesn't change often. Have a buddy who lives on willowbend west of hillcroft and he doesn't really like his kids walking on the sidewalk bc there is no grass median.

Also if you don't get a house with a 2 entrance driveway its a PITA to get out of your driveway.

AND your backed up the the greenspace with the heavy duty electrical lines behind you.

Still not sure why its cheaper...?
This is true, we have a pull through driveway so it's not a real big issue. Join me in making Willowbend a better place by going no more than 34, and when you're sitting at the light at chimney rock and someone in a clunker pulls up into the right lane next to you, punch it off the line and beat them to the merge, then proceed to go the speed limit. I wish they'd put in speed bumps

I like the green belt, the power lines are like 150 feet off the ground and 100 feet from my property line. Too bad they ran off the parakeets though

AgLiving06 go to the shoe repair place over behind Annie's on S. Post Oak. He's good
Jackal99
AG
PoopyPullup said:

This is true, we have a pull through driveway so it's not a real big issue. Join me in making Willowbend a better place by going no more than 34, and when you're sitting at the light at chimney rock and someone in a clunker pulls up into the right lane next to you, punch it off the line and beat them to the merge, then proceed to go the speed limit. I wish they'd put in speed bumps

My man.gif

I would ask you which way on Willowbend, but it's the same going both ways at that light.
Diggity
AG
PoopyPullup said:

Join me in making Willowbend a better place by going no more than 34, and when you're sitting at the light at chimney rock and someone in a clunker pulls up into the right lane next to you, punch it off the line and beat them to the merge, then proceed to go the speed limit. I wish they'd put in speed bumps

The people that do this, along with the folks on Bellfort that feel the need to move over to the right lane when going straight (to save one whole car length), anger me way more than they should.

It's like clockwork though.
aTm_bomb
AG
I am the other way. I use the right lane at the light on willowbend to get in front of the lollygaggers. What drives me nuts is people who go to the right lane because the need to be front of the line, don't accelerate as they are not in a hurry and end up behind they car they were next too.

And they are somehow surprised that the lanes merge in front of them.

Speed bumps on willowbend would likely result in me moving away. That is a road too far.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Jackal99 said:

PoopyPullup said:

My man.gif

I would ask you which way on Willowbend, but it's the same going both ways at that light.
westbound, my house is over by Parker.
I do it eastbound from time to time but it doesn't piss me off as much
Diggity
AG
I am always amazed at people that have a daily commute and can't figure out that merge. I think it's a cultural thing.
jaggiemaggie
AG
Diggity said:

PoopyPullup said:

Join me in making Willowbend a better place by going no more than 34, and when you're sitting at the light at chimney rock and someone in a clunker pulls up into the right lane next to you, punch it off the line and beat them to the merge, then proceed to go the speed limit. I wish they'd put in speed bumps

The people that do this, along with the folks on Bellfort that feel the need to move over to the right lane when going straight (to save one whole car length), anger me way more than they should.

It's like clockwork though.
There's special place in Hades for those people... and the people that honk or try to squeeze in to my right because they can't wait an extra 5 seconds as I have to wait for an east bound car to pass before I can turn left from Willowbend into Checkboard... of course most of the time, they are the same people that try to beat me to the merge... now I need another beer
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
The cut-thru traffic on Willowbend seems to have increased in speed and aggressiveness lately. They'll ride your ass and honk on their way to blast through Hillcroft to wherever they're going.
Jackal99
AG
I've noticed an increase in speed/aggressiveness even in my own neighborhood. What used to be calm streets now seem to have a lot more traffic cutting through, and not always at friendly speeds. Combine this with all the morons who are out walking in the streets with strollers and dogs and whatnot, and kids riding bikes in the middle of the street, I'm surprised I haven't seen an accident yet.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Mike, mind sharing how you find renters? Craigslist or realtor or ?
About to put our house on Willowbend up for rent
Mack Brown on a Mobile
AG
I have always used a realtor. I know an Aggie who lives in the Area who does a great job. I think Diggity might be a realtor also. If you want to text me at 713-213-1362, I am happy to send you his number. Craig's List would be a little scary to me. I think I have put it on facebook also.
Bibendum 86
AG
As a longtime Meyerlander I'm glad to hear so much interest in Maplewood and Westbury from you youngsters.

The properties you're considering are some of the best values around, but I suggest that you budget private school if you're going to hold for term. Buy flood insurance without fail - the demarcation from scary expensive to modestly expensive flood insurance in my case is the front curb on the neighbor between me and the bayou. Harvey got within 2" of flooding him and 6" of me but we were both dry. Every house in the 1200 yards between his house and the bayou got water intrusion.

Never mind that. All you need to know is that it generally takes between 1:25 and 1:40 to drive from CJ Liquors next to the old Belden's to the West Campus Garage between Kyle Field and Reed Arena if you don't let your wife stop to pee on the way. We've driven it dozens of times.
LondonAg89
AG
I went to that shoe repair place in high school and college and the cobbler was old then. Is he still alive?
Bibendum 86
AG
LondonAg89 said:

I went to that shoe repair place in high school and college and the cobbler was old then. Is he still alive?
If you're talking about the gruff eastern European guy with floppy hair, he was there this time a year ago. We've tried to take stuff to him since but he's never open when my wife goes by. Between the trumpet store and the ethnic barber shop, plus the paving job that makes Sylvester Turner look like an adequate steward of local infrastructure, that entire center is a microcosm of Westbury history.
aTm_bomb
AG
Bibendum 86 said:

LondonAg89 said:

If you're talking about the gruff eastern European guy with floppy hair, he was there this time a year ago. We've tried to take stuff to him since but he's never open when my wife goes by. Between the trumpet store and the ethnic barber shop, plus the paving job that makes Sylvester Turner look like an adequate steward of local infrastructure, that entire center is a microcosm of Westbury history.

Annie hamburgers... Hope it survives the Rona.
Diggity
AG
Don't forget about the fencing academy/event center!
LondonAg89
AG
Annie's son is a friend of mine. I'll check in with him and see what he has to say.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Cool thanks, we've got a friend who's a realtor in the area who's offered to work with us on it in the past. Always used craigslist or a sign in the yard for our other rental property, but that's a different market
texas_ute
AG
https://www.har.com/homedetail/5754-valkeith-dr-houston-tx-77096/9645527

My parents just listed their house in the neighborhood (Maplewood). It is the house where I grew up. I posted the link to the listing. They have lived there since 1983. They have done a lot of work on the house over the years.
Mose Schrute
AG
Great looking home, thank you for sharing! Hope it goes quickly, they sure seem to be!
K-Bob
AG
Just found this thread. My wife and I are thinking putting our house on the market (live just south of west Belfort and east of chimney rock off Endicott). We have lived here 8 years and have enjoyed every minute, but we are looking to head further north. We have a ton of young doctors in our neighborhood which has been awesome for our kiddos.

We have not 100% committed on moving yet, but wanted to get some of your thoughts on current market. I am having an extremely difficult time getting an idea on market and how quick homes are moving.

Our house was renovated in 2013 and did not flood during Harvey. We have put in a new HVAC, PEX plumbing and waste lines during our time here.

House is 1850 Square feet, 3/2, 8500 lot size. Zoned to Parker.
TexAg2001
AG
Maybe the OP would be interested?

I think there is at least 1 realtor who lives in the area and has posted on this thread, so hopefully they can chime in. I'm not sure abou the current real estate market, but some friends of mine lived very close to you on Kinglet. They had just finished renovating most of their home around May/June last year and, due to a job relocation, put it on the market in late July. It sold in 2-3 weeks. SF and lot size were nearly identical to yours and they got about $160/SF for it (which I felt was a little low at the time).

Homes in my area (NW corner of Willowbend/Hillcroft) seem to be moving really slow right now on average, but there are still some homes that are selling almost as soon as they come on the market. I think it has a lot to do with your listing realtor and if they have a pool of buyers already lined up and looking for a home like yours.
Diggity
AG
I keep a pretty close eye on that market.

What I've been seeing is that updated homes in the low to mid 300K's are moving pretty decently. Once you get into the $400K's and up, it's pretty dead right now.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Does the same apply to homes in Meyerland (zoned to Kolter) that have been updated and did not flood?
Diggity
AG
Honestly, I haven't researched Meyerland in a while.

I'll take a look when I get a chance later this afternoon.
jh0400
AG
Diggity said:

I keep a pretty close eye on that market.

What I've been seeing is that updated homes in the low to mid 300K's are moving pretty decently. Once you get into the $400K's and up, it's pretty dead right now.

I've been kicking around the idea of moving to the beach since my company seems to be leaning pretty hard away from returning to the office in a full-time capacity, but I'd have to sell our house here first.
Diggity
AG
you and me both. I was looking to move up north but not going to sell at a lull.
Mack Brown on a Mobile
AG
I did not know that there were any houses zone to Kulture they have not flooded in the past six or seven years
Teddy Perkins
AG
There are a few pockets. I'm far enough south from the bayou that we have not flooded yet. Harvey was really close though.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.