Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,503,425 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
E
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ok, let's get back to the important issue...

Will I get fined or thrown into FPYITB prison if I don't wear a mask while playing golf this weekend??
Daddy-O5
AG
E said:

Will I get fined or thrown into FPYITB prison if I don't wear a mask while playing golf this weekend??
Good news for me is if I'm playing golf there's a good chance I'm never with 6' of anyone else who actually hits the fairway.
Onceaggie2.0
Leaders should not be questioned right comrade ?
Diggity
AG
so you think it's reasonable to pass an ordinance that you know your police force will not be able to enforce? You don't think they're going to get flooded with calls and complaints from "concerned citizens" about a neighbor or some guy at HEB not wearing a mask?

I don't blame them for being pissed because they are the ones that have to deal with her decisions.
Texaggie7nine
it's FPMITA
7nine
sts7049
AG
aTm2004 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

aTm2004 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Ya, and you would never be able to fly anywhere, have to order everything online and never go into any private business except for a small subset, couldn't leave the country, ect. All to prove your stupid little point.

But thankfully that won't happen. At least not with this virus.
No. Some private businesses won't require it and you'll see a percentage of the population move to those businesses. That's the great thing about freedom and the free market.

You keep saying it won't happen, but I bet you thought you'd never see the day where the government forces the economy to shut down for over a month, yet here we are.
This is not something you can stick to your principles 100% on unless you are willing to kill everyone. Imagine a virus or other highly communicable illness comes around that kills off over 80% of all that are infected. Not enough? 90%. Not enough? 100%. You would have to hold true to your standard that government, of any level, can never temporarily shut down any sort of private commerce to save lives, no matter how many, to the point of 100% death of the entire population. Otherwise you will have conceded that at some arbitrary point, it is a legitimate function of government.
I wouldn't want the government mandating me to do anything to protect myself. I want them to make their suggestions and allow me the freedom to make the choice on what feel is best for me and my family. So yes, I would hold true to my standard of government. It would be no different at 80-100% or the <1% this is turning out to be.

that's fine. prove to me how your choice will not impact me or my family in this situation.
E
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

HPOU just told lil'Lina to **** off!

How is the HPD spread thin due to Coronavirus? The mayor has told all the criminals to chill, so there shouldn't be any crime going on right now...
Daddy-O5
AG
The burden of proof should be on those who want to implement and enforce new restrictions, not the other way around.

Edit: This isn't intended to be a statement of fact regarding the efficacy of "masks" or any other measures taken, simply about where the burden of proof should lie.
Daddy-O5
AG
Diggity said:

so you think it's reasonable to pass an ordinance that you know your police force will not be able to enforce? You don't think they're going to get flooded with calls and complaints from "concerned citizens" about a neighbor or some guy at HEB not wearing a mask?

I don't blame them for being pissed because they are the ones that have to deal with her decisions.
I can't wait for the nextdoor posts.
Bondag
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

Why is the background behind the text a different color? Looks like a bad photoshop.
Texaggie7nine
Bondag said:

IrishTxAggie said:

Why is the background behind the text a different color? Looks like a bad photoshop.
It's legit

7nine
IrishTxAggie
AG
Bondag said:

IrishTxAggie said:

Happens when adding characters to a standardized PDF letterhead
Koldus131
AG
This thread got so dumb so fast
htownag2007
AG
J.D. c/o 05 said:

E said:

Good news for me is if I'm playing golf there's a good chance I'm never with 6' of anyone else who actually hits the fairway.

If you make sure you're drinking for all 18 holes, then you're in the clear...
FarmerJohn
AG
This thread reminds me of my grandfather. He hated the idea that the government could tell him that he needed to wear a seat belt so he got a doctor to write a note saying he didn't have to. Of course he lived in rural Nebraska so no one really cared, but fine he didn't have to.

It's so bizarre reading through this that you'd have to state something as simple as, "In a society, you have to look out for each other." That's why there are societies. What has taken thousands of years to arrive at is that we don't need the government to be the one looking out if we'd collectively do it ourselves. So we've spent generations with 20% of the people kicking and screaming as they are dragged forward. It took a long time for us all to agree not to poop in the streets. But it keeps things cleaner and leads to less disease. Yet in San Francisco (and China) it still occurs and we have to work on something so basic.

Wearing masks in public during a pandemic is the same deal, just without the long history. You know who has a long history of pandemics? Asia. They wear masks there with a lot worse general hygiene. (Just try and wash your hands in some bathrooms over there.) They may be on to something, so lets give it a shot. I'm sorry that message is delivered by the intern that we voted to run the county. But lets separate the two issues.
FHKChE07
AG
Our daycare is open for essential workers only to be able to drop their kids off for while they work. There are less than 15 kids or so in the whole school. Yet a woman who lives across the street calls the fire marshal every day to report them as being open as a non-essential business. So the fire marshal and cops have to come out and do an inspection everyday even though they are specifically allowed by the governors order. Apparently the fire department said they are getting hundreds of nuisance calls a day from "Karens" who are clutching their pearls about certain businesses being open and infecting them. This is a huge waste of resources and the kind of thing that the police and sheriff's office are worried about. Now, every time a karen sees someone not wearing a mask they are going to call the police and this will lead to confrontation between people who did not know, or did not want to wear one and in general just waste resources.
CDUB98
AG
Again, for the elevety-billioniath time, it's not about society's health, it's about gov't mandate.
FHKChE07
AG
You need to follow the sage advice of John Daly:

Quote:

"I only drink one drink a day, it just happens to be a bottle of good old Belvedere," Daly said while holding the clear bottle of vodka up toward the camera. "Just drink one of these a day. You know, sippy, sippy on a McDonald's diet Coke ya know, wash it down pretty good. Never have a hangover.

"And that's the way you kill this coronavirus I believe."
https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2020/04/19/coronavirus-john-daly-donald-trump-vodka/
Zobel
AG
FPS_Dough said:

Question away, but try to act like an adult. Harris County Deputy's organization release is great. Police offer's union reads like a tantrum.
DuncanAg
AG
FHKChE07 said:

Our daycare is open for essential workers only to be able to drop their kids off for while they work. There are less than 15 kids or so in the whole school. Yet a woman who lives across the street calls the fire marshal every day to report them as being open as a non-essential business. So the fire marshal and cops have to come out and do an inspection everyday even though they are specifically allowed by the governors order. Apparently the fire department said they are getting hundreds of nuisance calls a day from "Karens" who are clutching their pearls about certain businesses being open and infecting them. This is a huge waste of resources and the kind of thing that the police and sheriff's office are worried about. Now, every time a karen sees someone not wearing a mask they are going to call the police and this will lead to confrontation between people who did not know, or did not want to wear one and in general just waste resources.
I've seen this happening to other businesses as well that are within the compliance of the order. Don't understand why it's the policy of the city for every complaint they receive (including anonymous) they must respond and re-inspect the business (HFD Fire Marshals Office is the inspecting authority). After 4+ times of inspecting you would think they would just inform the complainant that the business has been inspected and is in compliance. Complete waste of resources.

This will absolutely happen with mask compliance. People are crazy and will call 911 for this kind of stuff.
CDUB98
AG
k2aggie07 said:

FPS_Dough said:

Question away, but try to act like an adult. Harris County Deputy's organization release is great. Police offer's union reads like a tantrum.

Well, considering the number of tantrums the Police Chief has thrown, it's not surprising.
Chewy
AG
k2aggie07 said:

FPS_Dough said:

It's Gamaldi. He should have been fired after the no knock raid fiasco. He's a petulant child that must be related to someone high up in the Union best I can tell.
Diggity
AG
I slid my desk to the front window today so I can catch some folks walking dirty.

Announcement isn't official as of yet so I'm just giving warnings for now.
DuncanAg
AG
Diggity said:

I slid my desk to the front window today so I can catch some folks walking dirty.

Announcement isn't official as of yet so I'm just giving warnings for now.
We have a crazy lady in our neighborhood who when out walking her dog yells at people about not wearing a mask and gloves (while not wearing a mask and gloves herself).
Diggity
AG
Nitro Power
AG
Dora is a disgrace to the office she holds.
When you fall to your knees and ask God for help, don’t forget to fall back on your knees and say ‘thank you’ when He answers.- Steve Torrence
Tom Hagen
AG
E said:

I won't, because I am driving to Montgomery County again this weekend to play golf. Gas is cheap. No reason to spend my dollars in a county run by morons.
Unemployed
AG
Diggity said:

I said nothing of the sort. Just offering what I think is her reasoning for this ordinance and why she doesn't care if it gets enforced or not.

Do I think people should be wearing masks out in public? Yes.

Do I think people should get ticketed for not wearing one? No.

Zobel
AG
No argument here. I think you've missed my point.
dragmagpuff
AG
Honestly, over the past few weeks, my local HEB has gone from ~20/80 up to ~80/20 mask wearing just based on government recommendation. Based on what i have read about masks with other respiratory illnesses, 80% compliance gives effective herd immunity. This may or may not apply with COVID-19.

I think all this will change is it will give people the push they need to start wearing masks everywhere without feeling weird. I've also heard numerous stories of people not being allowed to wear a mask at their job, even if they personally want to.

If mask compliance lowers the R0 of the virus enough that we can increase our interactions and have more economic activity, then so be it.

Marvin_Zindler
AG
Lina can f*** right off. You don't get to tell me what I will or will not wear in public, little girl.
case04
AG
When do we get to police people for not wearing their masks correctly? How dare the workers of target wear a mask AND NOT cover their nose.
Diggity
AG
not sure how else I could have read your post
aTm2004
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Quote:

I wouldn't want the government mandating me to do anything to protect myself. I want them to make their suggestions and allow me the freedom to make the choice on what feel is best for me and my family. So yes, I would hold true to my standard of government. It would be no different at 80-100% or the <1% this is turning out to be.
This has hardly anything to do with you protecting yourself and everything to do with protecting everyone else from you or anyone else that refuses to follow whatever precautions are set to prevent the spread.

I'm mostly with you on drugs, prostitution, seat belts and other things that just case harm to the person doing it or not doing it. Communicable disease is an entirely different ballpark.
If you're afraid of what others would do, then you would take the precautions to protect yourself from it. That includes not going out into public if you feel it is too dangerous. I really is that simple. Don't rely on others do do what is the best interest of you and your family. Again, freedom isn't always a pretty thing.

Drugs harm others. Ask family members of addicts or alcoholics. My uncle died at 47 from being an alcoholic for so many years. I'm sure his then 12 year old daughter would tell you differently that drugs don't cause harm to others.

Prostitution can cause harm to others through STD spread.

Someone not wearing a seat belt in a car can cause harm to others as they can be ejected from the vehicle and possibly hit an innocent bystander.
First Page Last Page
Page 95 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.