Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,496,785 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ciboag96
Texaggie7nine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
HotardAg07 said:

For me, requiring masks while in public places sits squarely in the middle here. Of course I am concerned about government overreach, but in THIS SPECIFIC issue, that concern is balanced out with my desire to get back to work safely.

You can quibble over the specifics of the ordinance, but we haven't even seen it yet. Broadly, this is a good idea.
Yep. And if it was coming from the Fed, I would be pissed. From the state, and I would be upset. Locally is the place for these kinds of rules. If you don't like it, move out to the country.
7nine
Jack Klompus
AG
It sounds to me like Gov. Abbott will open up the state for business, and in turn, La Comandte will require face coverings as a sort of "compromise".
aTm2004
AG
aggiemike02 said:

you got strep from your kids, and you know it.
My kids who haven't been anywhere in over 2 weeks and never had it?
aTm2004
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Ya, and you would never be able to fly anywhere, have to order everything online and never go into any private business except for a small subset, couldn't leave the country, ect. All to prove your stupid little point.

But thankfully that won't happen. At least not with this virus.
No. Some private businesses won't require it and you'll see a percentage of the population move to those businesses. That's the great thing about freedom and the free market.

You keep saying it won't happen, but I bet you thought you'd never see the day where the government forces the economy to shut down for over a month, yet here we are.
07ag
AG
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2653186/

Ben Franklin lost a son to smallpox and regretted not taking steps to protect him
https://ts.la/eric59704
aTm2004
AG
07ag said:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2653186/

Ben Franklin lost a son to smallpox and regretted not taking steps to protect him

Quote:

Benjamin Franklin in his autobiography said:
Quote:

"In 1736 I lost one of my sons, a fine boy of four years old, by the smallpox taken in the common way. I long regretted bitterly and still regret that I had not given it to him by inoculation. This I mention for the sake of the parents who omit that operation, on the supposition that they should never forgive themselves if a child died under it; my example showing that the regret may be the same either way, and that, therefore, the safer should be chosen."1

So, he regretted not giving him whatever medicine was available, and it sounds like he's pushing for the parents to make individual decisions on what they see is best, not the government.
Texaggie7nine
aTm2004 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Ya, and you would never be able to fly anywhere, have to order everything online and never go into any private business except for a small subset, couldn't leave the country, ect. All to prove your stupid little point.

No. Some private businesses won't require it and you'll see a percentage of the population move to those businesses. That's the great thing about freedom and the free market.

You keep saying it won't happen, but I bet you thought you'd never see the day where the government forces the economy to shut down for over a month, yet here we are.
This is not something you can stick to your principles 100% on unless you are willing to kill everyone. Imagine a virus or other highly communicable illness comes around that kills off over 80% of all that are infected. Not enough? 90%. Not enough? 100%. You would have to hold true to your standard that government, of any level, can never temporarily shut down any sort of private commerce to save lives, no matter how many, to the point of 100% death of the entire population. Otherwise you will have conceded that at some arbitrary point, it is a legitimate function of government.
7nine
IrishTxAggie
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

aTm2004 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

This is not something you can stick to your principles 100% on unless you are willing to kill everyone. Imagine a virus or other highly communicable illness comes around that kills off over 80% of all that are infected. Not enough? 90%. Not enough? 100%. You would have to hold true to your standard that government, of any level, can never temporarily shut down any sort of private commerce to save lives, no matter how many, to the point of 100% death of the entire population. Otherwise you will have conceded that at some arbitrary point, it is a legitimate function of government.
Texaggie7nine
Quote:

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."
7nine
IrishTxAggie
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Quote:

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

Forgot to bold a part...
Texaggie7nine
IrishTxAggie said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Quote:

Forgot to bold a part...
Right, and the way the "people" control the powers wielded and used by their state and local governments that are not expressly prohibited by the USC is through local and state elections.... and if they don't like the results. move to a different city or state.
7nine
Zobel
AG
Not a new debate.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/197/11

USSC found in 1905 states retain police power, epidemic defense is a kind of collective self-defense, and they can require vaccines as long as the requirement is not arbitrary, unevenly applied, egregious, whatever.
HotardAg07
AG
Don't we already require kids to have certain vaccines to be enrolled in schools?
cajunaggie08
AG
yup. to which you have the right to not enroll your kid in school and homeschool them. I've got a branch of my family that homeschools strictly because they are anti-vax and think Bill Gates is trying to microchip us.
Daddy-O5
AG
HotardAg07 said:

Don't we already require kids to have certain vaccines to be enrolled in schools?
Yes, but there are exemptions that basically allow anyone to circumvent those requirements.

Minimum Vaccination Requirements

Although I have fairly strong opinions on this as well, I'll leave them be at the risk of opening a whole other can of worms on this thread.
Daddy-O5
AG
k2aggie07 said:

Not a new debate.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/197/11

USSC found in 1905 states retain police power, epidemic defense is a kind of collective self-defense, and they can require vaccines as long as the requirement is not arbitrary, unevenly applied, egregious, whatever.
Just skimmed the link for now, but based on your snippet I would certainly call the designation of certain private businesses as essential or non essential arbitrary and unevenly applied.

aTm2004
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

aTm2004 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

I wouldn't want the government mandating me to do anything to protect myself. I want them to make their suggestions and allow me the freedom to make the choice on what feel is best for me and my family. So yes, I would hold true to my standard of government. It would be no different at 80-100% or the <1% this is turning out to be.
cone
AG
let me off this crazy train
Ag_07
AG
Man some of you guys are f'in nuts
Texaggie7nine
Quote:

I wouldn't want the government mandating me to do anything to protect myself. I want them to make their suggestions and allow me the freedom to make the choice on what feel is best for me and my family. So yes, I would hold true to my standard of government. It would be no different at 80-100% or the <1% this is turning out to be.
This has hardly anything to do with you protecting yourself and everything to do with protecting everyone else from you or anyone else that refuses to follow whatever precautions are set to prevent the spread.

I'm mostly with you on drugs, prostitution, seat belts and other things that just case harm to the person doing it or not doing it. Communicable disease is an entirely different ballpark.
7nine
Zobel
AG
The USSC is not going to arbitrate how the citizens of Texas give emergency powers to the governor or county judge or mayor. From the ruling:
Quote:

...it is to be observed that the legislature of Massachusetts required the inhabitants of a city or town to be vaccinated only when, in the opinion of the board of health, that was necessary for the public health or the public safety. The authority to determine for all what ought to be done in such an emergency must have been lodged somewhere or in some body; and surely it was appropriate for the legislature to refer that question, in the first instance, to a board of health composed of persons residing in the locality affected, and appointed, presumably, because of their fitness to determine such questions. To invest such a body with authority over such matters was not an unusual, nor an unreasonable or arbitrary, requirement. Upon the principle of self-defense, of paramount necessity, a community has the right to protect itself against an epidemic of disease which threatens the safety of its members. It is to be observed that when the regulation in question was adopted smallpox, according to the recitals in the regulation adopted by the board of health, was prevalent to some extent in the city of Cambridge, and the disease was increasing. If such was the situation,--and nothing is asserted or appears in the record to the contrary,--if we are to attach, any value whatever to the knowledge which, it is safe to affirm, in common to all civilized peoples touching smallpox and the methods most usually employed to eradicate that disease, it cannot be adjudged that the present regulation of the board of health was not necessary in order to protect the public health and secure the public safety. Smallpox being prevalent and increasing at Cambridge, the court would usurp the functions of another branch of government if it adjudged, as matter of law, that the mode adopted under the sanction of the state, to protect the people at large was arbitrary, and not justified by the necessities of the case. We say necessities of the case, because it might be that an acknowledged power of a local community to protect itself against an epidemic threatening the safety of all might be exercised in particular circumstances and in reference to particular persons in such an arbitrary, unreasonable manner, or might go so far beyond what was reasonably required for the safety of the public, as to authorize or compel the courts to interfere for the protection of such persons.

...If the mode adopted by the commonwealth of Massachusetts for the protection of its local communities against smallpox proved to be distressing, inconvenient, or objectionable to some,--if nothing more could be reasonably affirmed of the statute in question,--the answer is that it was the duty of the constituted authorities primarily to keep in view the welfare, comfort, and safety of the many, and not permit the interests of the many to be subordinated to the wishes or convenience of the few.

There is, of course, a sphere within which the individual may assert the supremacy of his own will, and rightfully dispute the authority of any human government, especially of any free government existing under a written constitution, to interfere with the exercise of that will. But it is equally true that in every well-ordered society charged with the duty of conserving the safety of its members the rights of the individual in respect of his liberty may at times, under the pressure of great dangers, be subjected to such restraint, to be enforced by reasonable regulations, as the safety of the general public may demand. An American citizen arriving at an American port on a vessel in which, during the voyage, there had been cases of yellow fever or Asiatic cholera, he, although apparently free from disease himself, may yet, in some circumstances, be held in quarantine against his will on board of such vessel or in a quarantine station, until it be ascertained by inspection, conducted with due diligence, that the danger of the spread of the disease among the community at large has disappeared. The liberty secured by the 14th Amendment, this court has said, consists, in part, in the right of a person 'to live and work where he will'; and yet he may be compelled, by force if need be, against his will and without regard to his personal wishes or his pecuniary interests, or even his religious or political convictions, to take his place in the ranks of the army of his country, and risk the chance of being shot down in its defense. It is not, therefore, true that the power of the public to guard itself against imminent danger depends in every case involving the control of one's body upon his willingness to submit to reasonable regulations established by the constituted authorities, under the sanction of the state, for the purpose of protecting the public collectively against such danger.

It is said, however, that the statute, as interpreted by the state court, although making an exception in favor of children certified by a registered physician to be unfit subjects for vaccination, makes no exception in case of adults in like condition. But this cannot be deemed a denial of the equal protection of the laws to adults; for the statute is applicable equally to all in like condition, and there are obviously reasons why regulations may be appropriate for adults which could not be safely applied to persons of tender years.
I think the chance of these kinds of laws being overturned are 0.0% unless there is some egregious singling out of race, class, creed, etc.
Daddy-O5
AG
Ag_07 said:

Instead of drive by posts like this why not contribute something to the conversation? Stars?

I whole heartedly disagree with a couple of posters on this thread but appreciate the thoughtful responses, discourse, and conversation. That's what threads like this exist (or should be).
Daddy-O5
AG
For the time being, no arguments from me. I'll get read through and process the entire case and come back to it with a more thoughtful response.
IrishTxAggie
AG
HPOU just told lil'Lina to **** off!
Zobel
AG
Regardless of what I think about Lina Hidalgo, that kind of rhetoric about an elected official is not helpful.
IrishTxAggie
AG
As did Harris County Deputies Organization
Unemployed
AG
aTm2004 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

aTm2004 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

I agree with you if everything happens in a vacuum. If your actions affect you and only you, then fine, do whatever you want.

But when it starts to affect other people on a certain scale, then government intervention is required because God knows there are some people who just doesn't have common sense or straight up don't give a sht.
Fitch
AG
Seems to miss the point that it's not about enforcement, it's about individual households adopting the practice.
Ag_07
AG
J.D. c/o 05 said:

Ag_07 said:

Instead of drive by posts like this why not contribute something to the conversation? Stars?

I whole heartedly disagree with a couple of posters on this thread but appreciate the thoughtful responses, discourse, and conversation. That's what threads like this exist (or should be).

I did that a couple pages back.

Now I've resorted to just sitting back and reading all the big bad gubbament conspiracy theories.

It's just amazing to me that people get so bent out of shape about having to wear a mask during a pandemic.

Just take a sec and look at how little sense this makes...

GD open it back up. This is getting ridiculous. The cure is becoming worse than the problem.
OK...we're gonna start opening things up but for the next 30 days we're gonna require you wear a mask.
OMG!! WTF!! F this!!

It's comical.
CDUB98
AG
The Commandante got *****ed slapped.
aggietony2010
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

That pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter. You should wear a mask. But as soon as you start telling people they have to, then I'll get mad.
Unemployed
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

Meh...not defending Hidalgo but I'm sure she and her minions understand that enforcing this mandate is close to impossible.

She's hoping that there'll be a certain percentage of the populace who will start wearing masks out in public due to her announcing the mandate irrespective if people will get arrested or not.
Betoisafurry
k2aggie07 said:

Regardless of what I think about Lina Hidalgo, that kind of rhetoric about an elected official is not helpful.
Texaggie7nine
I'm fine with the order to wear masks, and I'm fine with the Police not enforcing it.

I don't see much point in wearing them when outside where police would most likely be enforcing it, but I think it will push businesses to start requiring them to enter their buildings and it will get more people to wear them when they are out.
7nine
Onceaggie2.0
Wear a mask no one is stopping you just don't make others .
First Page Last Page
Page 94 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.