Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,601,617 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by Ciboag96
rhoswen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A) HISD is a week behind just about everyone else on having their spring break, so any districts "waiting" for them would have to go back, wait for HISD, then cancel.

B) katy is then the only district that waits on HISD cuz mine sure doesn't. We "cluster" like what was said about the north side. Following HISD's lead on anything is a recipe for disaster.
Mikeyshooter
AG
dbryanc87 said:

I'm getting married in Spring on March 28. 147 people RSVP'd yes. Should I be getting nervous about being able to still have it? Is wedding "insurance" a thing? TIA
Yes, you should be nervous.
stroodles
AG
DartAg1970 said:

I heard Spring Branch ISD board voted to close for 3 weeks after spring break. Can't confirm though.

Martin Q. Blank
Why is the Zoo still open? Museums? Shut it down, Mayor.
tylercsbn9
AG
Three weeks seems too much. Especially accountIng for spring break.

I'd think most take the next two weeks off.

Mikeyshooter
AG
DartAg1970 said:

I heard Spring Branch ISD board voted to close for 3 weeks after spring break. Can't confirm though.
I've heard 1 week. They have spring break next week.
lunchbox
This is about to be announced by Harris County...

tylercsbn9
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

Yeah this is the thing I don't get. If all the sports and stuff are getting shut down. Even with limiting fans then why is everything else open?
Mikeyshooter
AG
stroodles said:

DartAg1970 said:

LOL. I can't imagine your wife being home with all 4 kids for the next 4 weeks...
Ciboag96
tylercsbn9 said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Yeah this is the thing I don't get. If all the sports and stuff are getting shut down. Even with limiting fans then why is everything else open?

Rodeo high profile and makes the news. Zoo wont.
Bondag
AG
Mikeyshooter said:

stroodles said:

DartAg1970 said:

LOL. I can't imagine your wife being home with all 4 kids for the next 4 weeks...
Are we no longer including Stroodles in the kid count?
GCRanger
AG
Does fast food go to drive-thru only?
Restaurants do take out only?
Grocery stores limit access?

Seems reasonable without completely shutting down.

I think it was a bad choice to completely stop the rodeo. They could have kept the competitions sans fans and the auctions while stopping the concerts, carnival, etc. That could have significantly reduced spread without impacting pocket books of so many.
stroodles
AG
Mikeyshooter said:

stroodles said:

DartAg1970 said:

HAHA! I can't either. Its a frightening thing.
CFTXAG10
AG
Was in a bar meeting this afternoon and our chapter is primarily older attendees. Needless to say the CLE portion was about 10 minutes, while the rest of the time was spent talking about the courts pretty much shutting down most in person contact and switching to Zoom or other teleconference or video conference methods. Then boomer needed a little help on a description of what Zoom is and how video conferencing would work.

On the other hand, we had one attorney in life planning who said she has been flooded with calls at her office this week.
Zobel
AG

Quote:

Does fast food go to drive-thru only?
Restaurants do take out only?
Grocery stores limit access?
This is what they did in China and Singapore.

And when you go in to pick up or whatever they take your temperature, and it is limited to however many people can fit at 6' spacing can come in at a time, with a little grid laid down on the floor.
TXTransplant
Ciboag96 said:

tylercsbn9 said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Rodeo high profile and makes the news. Zoo wont.

Seattle area attractions (like museums) didn't shutdown until yesterday. I can't help but think that's going to be criticized in the coming weeks and months.
94chem
Bondag said:

jenn96 said:

Quote:

What happened in the last 24 hours?

You're joking, I assume? NBA season suspended, rodeo cancelled, NCAA tournaments cancelled, EU travel suspended, one of the most beloved and famous Hollywood actors and his wife test positive - perception-wise, it's off the rails. Plus more and more people are becoming cognizant of the benefits of flattening the curve and social distancing, and grasping that it's not the disease itself that's especially dangerous but the potential for health care system overload that we need to be proactive about.

Quote:

there are more than 85 hospitals in the Houston area with more than 19,300 beds, including those in TMC. These facilities employ more than 100,000 health care professionals, almost seven percent of the Houston-area workforce.
Right now there are 7 or 8 hospitals per corona virus patient, and most if not all of the Houston cases were sent home to self quarantine and recover.

Don't make out with everyone you see and give a fist bump or a wave instead of a handshake.

If you traveled out of Texas for Spring Break then stay at home for 2 weeks, but if you went to the rodeo (yes it is ok) or the park or stayed within 500 (Not New Orleans) then you should be good to go and continue life as normal.

You quote and re-quote some real numbers, but your math is way off. The United States has less than 1 million staffed hospital beds (and ~ 2.3 million prison beds, FYI). That one million isn't enough, especially when you recognize that many of them are ALREADY OCCUPIED. Sorry about your 401(k) and those stocks you bought on margin.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

The United States has less than 1 million staffed hospital beds (and ~ 2.3 million prison beds, FYI).
Trashcan Man will be wandering free pretty soon.
Zobel
AG

Quote:

You quote and re-quote some real numbers, but your math is way off. The United States has less than 1 million staffed hospital beds (and ~ 2.3 million prison beds, FYI). That one million isn't enough, especially when you recognize that many of them are ALREADY OCCUPIED. Sorry about your 401(k) and those stocks you bought on margin.
Eh, consider that the numbers that are counted as hospital beds typically don't include outpatient care.

So all those day surgery centers etc. aren't represented. There is a lot of silent capacity in the system.
94chem
k2aggie07 said:

Quote:

Eh, consider that the numbers that are counted as hospital beds typically don't include outpatient care.

So all those day surgery centers etc. aren't represented. There is a lot of silent capacity in the system.
I'm not eager to find the hard limit, nor to have my care rendered by a dental assistant.
Zobel
AG
You and me both brother. And I'm glad we aren't under UHC where there is no backstop and no excess capacity.
Ag_07
AG
tylercsbn9 said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Sporting event is thousands of people inside within 1' of each of other for a couple of hours.

Zoo is outdoors and not a lot of close contact and any close contact is just for a few minutes.

Risk of transmission is WAY higher for a sporting event.

I'm just hoping Paw Patrol Live happening Sunday at Hobby Center isn't cancelled or my 3 yo is gonna unleash hell when we break it to her that she's not going after all.
tylercsbn9
AG
Ag_07 said:

tylercsbn9 said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Sporting event is thousands of people inside within 1' of each of other for a couple of hours.

Zoo is outdoors and not a lot of close contact and any close contact is just for a few minutes.

Risk of transmission is WAY higher for a sporting event.
But lots of the sporting events planned to go no spectators. They could have gone on with no or minimal spectators. The amount of people there then wouldn't be much different from the amount of people that go to costco for a given day.
jenn96
AG
Maybe they're worried about players infecting each other too; since all the cancellations seemed to happen after the Jazz players tested positive.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah that was the plan until athletes were confirmed positive.

Now you've got union protected athletes playing, in locker rooms, flying to and from games with other players that are confirmed positive. That's almost as bad as a cruise ship.
TombstoneTex
AG
Ag_07 said:

I'm just hoping Paw Patrol Live happening Sunday at Hobby Center isn't cancelled or my 3 yo is gonna unleash hell when we break it to her that she's not going after all.
THIS!!!! My 3 year old learned how to use a calendar for this event and has been counting down the days for MONTHS.
Jack Klompus
AG
I'm guessing that most large churches will go online only for the foreseeable future.
Post removed:
by user
Zobel
AG
T&P I would not want to be explaining that to mine.
Caliber
AG
k2aggie07 said:

It doesn't have to be hard, especially at 3 years old. Before you tell them, have your back up plan already in place. No need to take something away with nothing to offer. Yes, they'll be upset. Yes, they'll get over it quickly if you fill the void with something else novel.

Or just crush them with the real world at an early age.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Brad06ag said:

k2aggie07 said:

It doesn't have to be hard, especially at 3 years old. Before you tell them, have your back up plan already in place. No need to take something away with nothing to offer. Yes, they'll be upset. Yes, they'll get over it quickly if you fill the void with something else novel.

Or just crush them with the real world at an early age.
The real flex would be to wait until they do something wrong and punish them by not going.

That'll be a lesson worth its weight in gold. Gotta keep the little fkers scared of you.
Ag_07
AG
True but that doesn't avoid the mass hysteria apocalyptic breakdown upon first telling them 'We're not going'.
Caliber
AG
Ag_07 said:

True but that doesn't avoid the mass hysteria apocalyptic breakdown upon first telling them 'We're not going'.
Hopefully you have advance warning then... and it doesn't happen HLSR style while you're there.

I'd already be coming up with my back ups. Have a tantrum plan in place, one of the few times you'll be able to predict one in advance.

You may also be underestimating your kid. Mine can throw an epic meltdown, but I'm pretty sure this one could be handled with the right timing and approach with only minimal tears.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
A tantrum plan?

The tantrum plan is to tell the little cork soakers as you're walking out the door for work.

See ya after work honey!

Post removed:
by user
First Page Last Page
Page 19 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.