Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,499,903 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
dbryanc87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Wedding insurance is like hurricane insurance. You can't buy when storm in gulf.

Fair point!
RingOfive
AG
dbryanc87 said:

I'm getting married in Spring on March 28. 147 people RSVP'd yes. Should I be getting nervous about being able to still have it? Is wedding "insurance" a thing? TIA

You're too young anyway.
Cromagnum
AG
When coronavirus gets to the 5th ward

White Liberals=The Worst
dbryanc87 said:

I'm getting married in Spring on March 28. 147 people RSVP'd yes. Should I be getting nervous about being able to still have it? Is wedding "insurance" a thing? TIA
You're very likely not having a normal wedding on March 28...that should be your expectation imo.

I am not saying this virus is going to get out of control...but I would expect conferences, big events etc. to be cancelled for the next few months. This is only the beginning.

On the bright side - We should all be focused on the stock market and taking advantage of these insane deals.
94chem
Quote:

Stop messing around with testing and treat the worst cases
Yes, but they need to not happen all at once.

Our freedoms make this a very difficult situation - freedom of movement, freedom to be obese, private health care and its vast inequities...

The US response is about what I've been expecting - late and powerful.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
dbryanc87 said:

I would suggest not having any of your elderly family attend.
TXTransplant
Second case in Montgomery County, according to an email I just got from our church. Woman in her 40s who traveled to New Orleans. She lives in "South Montgomery County", which means The Woodlands.
JYDog90
AG
How long til they shut the grocery stores?
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Expect the ISDs rolling off spring break this week to cancel classes soon.
JYDog90
AG
Even in My circle in our little school we've got folks in Israel, Disneyland, Disney world, Universal, NYC.

You think there's any positive cases running around any of those?
BBRex
AG
tommyjohn said:

Most ISDs are on spring break this week. CISD said they would update Friday and I am not expecting my kids to be going back to school next week. I am assuming most others will be the same. After that we can expect the companies to follow suit.

In the Houston area, most districts look to HISD to make a call, then follow suit after conferring together and waiting long enough to make it look like they didn't just copy them. HISD has spring break next week, so I would expect them to push through this week then wait out spring break to make a call. That makes quick action for the smaller area districts a lot less likely, but not impossible.
cone
AG
never
randy828
AG
Cromagnum said:

When coronavirus gets to the 5th ward

Holy crud that is funny! "We all gonna die anyways"....but she put all those garbage bags on herself??? Awesome!
I was in the room here one day... watchin' the Mexican channel on TV. I don't know nothin' about Pele. I'm watchin' what this guy can do with a ball and his feet. Next thing I know, he jumps in the air and flips into a somersault and kicks the ball in - upside down and backwards... the dang (sc) goalie never knew what the hell hit him. Pele gets excited and he rips off his jersey and starts running around the stadium waving it around his head. Everybody's screaming in Spanish. I'
jenn96
AG
BBRex said:

tommyjohn said:

Most ISDs are on spring break this week. CISD said they would update Friday and I am not expecting my kids to be going back to school next week. I am assuming most others will be the same. After that we can expect the companies to follow suit.

In the Houston area, most districts look to HISD to make a call, then follow suit after conferring together and waiting long enough to make it look like they didn't just copy them. HISD has spring break next week, so I would expect them to push through this week then wait out spring break to make a call. That makes quick action for the smaller area districts a lot less likely, but not impossible.

I'll be astonished if Cy Fair goes back on Monday with all the crazy that's dropped in the last 24 hours.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Willy Wonka said:

Even in My circle in our little school we've got folks in Israel, Disneyland, Disney world, Universal, NYC.

Our next door neighbors are on a cruise out of Miami. They return to port this Sunday, then catch a flight back home. We will be avoiding them like the plague.
TXTransplant
jenn96 said:

BBRex said:

tommyjohn said:

I'll be astonished if Cy Fair goes back on Monday with all the crazy that's dropped in the last 24 hours.

I think Conroe will cancel next week, given the second case in MoCo. I think Tomball will, too.
chimpanzee
BBRex said:

tommyjohn said:

I get that they're the largest, but following HISD's lead on anything at this point sounds like a recipe for a federal indictment.
Bondag
AG
jenn96 said:

BBRex said:

tommyjohn said:

What has dropped? 0.00000002% of the greater Houston population has possibly contracted a virus that has a survival rate of 99%.
Martin Q. Blank
jenn96 said:

BBRex said:

tommyjohn said:

What happened in the last 24 hours?
Ag_N_Houston
AG
BBRex said:

tommyjohn said:

The northern, suburban districts do not follow HISD - HISD cancels for pretty much anything. CISD, CFISD, TISD all follow each other's lead. It is very rare for one of the three to cancel and not the other two. With the 2 cases in Montgomery County and 2 in NW Harris County, I would expect an extension of Spring Break, but they will wait until the last minute to make the call.
swimmerbabe11
wessimo
AG
Latest case - Mormon guy from Spring

cajunaggie08
AG
chimpanzee said:

BBRex said:

tommyjohn said:

I get that they're the largest, but following HISD's lead on anything at this point sounds like a recipe for a federal indictment.
Katy ISD has always waited for HISD to make an announcement as far as closures go before making any decisions themselves. All the staff has known that for years.
case04
AG
dbryanc87 said:

You might want to check and see if they will cover "pandemics" if so it will be well worth the money.
Unemployed
AG
case04 said:

dbryanc87 said:

You might want to check and see if they will cover "pandemics" if so it will be well worth the money.
Pay me $1MM premium and I'll insure your wedding that will take place in two weeks.
spadilly
S
Ducks4brkfast said:

Expect the ISDs rolling off spring break this week to cancel classes soon.

This. It's like they are all just waiting for the first district to announce it and then all jump in.
94chem
Ducks4brkfast said:

Willy Wonka said:

Our next door neighbors are on a cruise out of Miami. They return to port this Sunday, then catch a flight back home. We will be avoiding them like as the plague.
DartAg1970
AG
I heard Spring Branch ISD board voted to close for 3 weeks after spring break. Can't confirm though.
randy828
AG
Quote:

Dear CFISD community,
As you are aware, the situation regarding COVID-19 continues to be very fluid for the Greater Houston area. I want to assure you that despite our schools being closed for spring break, the CFISD administrative team is participating in daily calls with local, state and federal officials and is actively monitoring the situation.
I am attending a meeting on Friday morning with neighboring superintendents and local officials and will have an update for you later that afternoon.
It takes all of us working together to ensure healthy learning environments.
Sincerely,
Mark Henry, Ed.D. Superintendent of Schools
I was in the room here one day... watchin' the Mexican channel on TV. I don't know nothin' about Pele. I'm watchin' what this guy can do with a ball and his feet. Next thing I know, he jumps in the air and flips into a somersault and kicks the ball in - upside down and backwards... the dang (sc) goalie never knew what the hell hit him. Pele gets excited and he rips off his jersey and starts running around the stadium waving it around his head. Everybody's screaming in Spanish. I'
Caliber
AG
DartAg1970 said:

I heard Spring Branch ISD board voted to close for 3 weeks after spring break. Can't confirm though.
Interested to hear more. They did cancel basically all non school essential activities as well as curtail most visitors, volunteers, meal delivery services. etc.

https://www.springbranchisd.com/news/read-more/~board/sbisd-post-board/post/coronavirus-update-march-11
94chem
Gator03 said:

Apparently we live in a society where many parents are unable to provide even the basics for their children. From a NYTimes article on NY schools:
Quote:

New York City has the largest public school system in the United States, a vast district with about 750,000 children who are poor, including around 114,000 who are homeless.

For such students, school may be the only place they can get three hot meals a day and medical care, and even wash their dirty laundry.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/07/nyregion/nyc-schools-coronavirus.html

Because of that:
Quote:

That is why the city's public schools will probably stay open even if the new coronavirus becomes more widespread in New York. Richard A. Carranza, the schools chancellor, said earlier this week that he considered long-term closings an "extreme" measure and a "last resort."

We are LITERALLY (and I use the word correctly) going to overwhelm a health care system because our nation's flagship city has hundreds of thousands of children whose parents are unable to feed them.

This is a disgrace on so many levels.
jenn96
AG
Quote:

You're joking, I assume? NBA season suspended, rodeo cancelled, NCAA tournaments cancelled, EU travel suspended, one of the most beloved and famous Hollywood actors and his wife test positive - perception-wise, it's off the rails. Plus more and more people are becoming cognizant of the benefits of flattening the curve and social distancing, and grasping that it's not the disease itself that's especially dangerous but the potential for health care system overload that we need to be proactive about.
Gig-Em2003
AG
Latest rumor is Governor is about to put the kibosh on all school until end of March. Again, a rumor.
SockDePot
94chem said:

Gator03 said:

Apparently we live in a society where many parents are unable to provide even the basics for their children. From a NYTimes article on NY schools:
Quote:

New York City has the largest public school system in the United States, a vast district with about 750,000 children who are poor, including around 114,000 who are homeless.

For such students, school may be the only place they can get three hot meals a day and medical care, and even wash their dirty laundry.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/07/nyregion/nyc-schools-coronavirus.html

Because of that:
Quote:

That is why the city's public schools will probably stay open even if the new coronavirus becomes more widespread in New York. Richard A. Carranza, the schools chancellor, said earlier this week that he considered long-term closings an "extreme" measure and a "last resort."

We are LITERALLY (and I use the word correctly) going to overwhelm a health care system because our nation's flagship city has hundreds of thousands of children whose parents are unable to feed them.

This is a disgrace on so many levels.

Wouldn't it make more sense (health and financial) to arrange some sort of delivery service for food, instead of potentially exposing and transmitting disease and burdening the system? Not to mention having to sanitize all those facilities, etc.
Bondag
AG
jenn96 said:

Quote:

You're joking, I assume? NBA season suspended, rodeo cancelled, NCAA tournaments cancelled, EU travel suspended, one of the most beloved and famous Hollywood actors and his wife test positive - perception-wise, it's off the rails. Plus more and more people are becoming cognizant of the benefits of flattening the curve and social distancing, and grasping that it's not the disease itself that's especially dangerous but the potential for health care system overload that we need to be proactive about.

Quote:

there are more than 85 hospitals in the Houston area with more than 19,300 beds, including those in TMC. These facilities employ more than 100,000 health care professionals, almost seven percent of the Houston-area workforce.
Right now there are 7 or 8 hospitals per corona virus patient, and most if not all of the Houston cases were sent home to self quarantine and recover.

Don't make out with everyone you see and give a fist bump or a wave instead of a handshake.

If you traveled out of Texas for Spring Break then stay at home for 2 weeks, but if you went to the rodeo (yes it is ok) or the park or stayed within 500 (Not New Orleans) then you should be good to go and continue life as normal.

First Page Last Page
Page 18 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.