Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,497,082 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ciboag96
Post removed:
by user
Tom Hagen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The way this thread is going makes me want to send a thank you note to the urologist who did my vasectomy.
Flashdiaz
AG
tylercsbn9 said:

aTm2004 said:

So the jails already have COVID19 and they were contained there but now dora the explorer has the brilliant idea to let them in public and potentially spread it.

Genius

At least she got to virtue signal though
it's ok, they won't commit more crimes though because mayor Turner told them to stop committing crimes.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
I have not read every reply on this thread, so if this topic has already been discussed then ignore it....

Why in the hell is METRO operating right now with extra work force? Other than the homeless, no one is riding it.
Bondag
AG
Ferris Wheel Allstar said:

I have not read every reply on this thread, so if this topic has already been discussed then ignore it....

Why in the hell is METRO operating right now with extra work force? Other than the homeless, no one is riding it.
Healthcare workers that don't have cars? My only thought.
Bondag
AG
Flashdiaz said:

tylercsbn9 said:

aTm2004 said:

So the jails already have COVID19 and they were contained there but now dora the explorer has the brilliant idea to let them in public and potentially spread it.

Genius

At least she got to virtue signal though
it's ok, they won't commit more crimes though because mayor Turner told them to stop committing crimes.
And they will self quarantine for 2 weeks. There is no possible way our hospitals will get overloaded in 9 months due to this decision.
cajunaggie08
AG
Ferris Wheel Allstar said:

Considering just how many businesses are considered "essential", many of the same people who couldnt afford a car to get to work before this still can't now. I know of guys at our plant that take the bus home.
CowtownAg06
AG
There are a lot of healthcare workers that have to park at NRG and take the Metro to the Med Center.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
You obviously don't have kids

Until then why don't you keep your comments to yourself

Now back to Netflix and video games and let the adults handle this
IrishTxAggie
AG
aTm2004
AG
Zemira said:

94chem said:

Zemira said:

jenn96 said:

CyFair ISD just cancelled through May 4. To the surprise of no one, but now it's official. My kids are going to be functionally illiterate by August.
And doing activities at home and review work with them isn't a thing? Good grief take some personal responsibility for your own kids.

19 year old - ESL, functionally illiterate, working on credit recovery
17 year old - 4AP classes, 504 plan, health science track
15 year old - different HS, 2 AP classes, athletics, band
14 year old - middle school, disabled, ESL, 504/ARD, PT, OT
12 YO - middle school, 504, band
9 YO - elem. school

So, that's AP Chem, AP Spanish lit, AP Euro History, AP Am History, AP Geography, AP Spanish 4, ESL, 5 different schools, 2 musical instruments, 4 kids in Spanish Immersion, countless zoom meetings, emails from teachers/schools/district every 5 minutes, online assignments...and I'm supposed to be working from home.

I'm about up to my ears in personal responsibility, but thanks for the advice.
Yikes that is rough with that many kids and schools. Six kids is just alot in the first place. If you can make that in normal times you are superhuman.

Sorry I was so judgemental in my prior post. Several people I know have one or two kids and they act like their life is just impossible to do anything now with them at home. I hope it makes them realize what some of their teachers must go through if they can't deal with one child at home.
I have a 6 year old that will turn 7 this month, a 4 year old, and a 16 month old. Though it's not impossible to get any work done, it's much much harder now than any normal day I work from home. We're at week 4 of them all being home (spring break) and about week 3 of things being closed. My wife is a teacher and is doing her best to keep their time occupied with school work (6 year old), educational games, TV time, playing outside, etc, but there's only so much of it she's able to do in a day without being able to meet up with friends so they can all play at the park, or take them to the zoo, go somewhere for lunch, or go visit grandparents, etc. The kids are going crazy because things are getting repetitive.

You talk about not being able to deal with their children at home...kids are different with their parents than they are without them. I'm sure if you ask your parents about you, they'd agree. When my mom does actually take them to do things, they're everything we're trying to raise them to be...respectful, mindful, and to listen. When they're around us, we want to strangle them about 1837 times a minute because they are often none of that. Tons of fighting, yelling, crying, and overall dumb stuff because the other isn't sitting with their legs crossed the right way or something stupid. Speaking with my daughter's teacher and my son's pre-school teacher, it's nothing but praise about how great they are, how helpful they are with others, how caring they are, etc. Both my wife and I are sitting there wondering if they have the right child. That's not unique to us...well, maybe it is since everyone else's kids on TexAgs are post Mary Poppins and contemplating whether or not they should take the full ride offer they received in the 3rd grade from Harvard or Duke, or to just bypass high school and undergrad and accept the Rhodes scholarship.
cajunaggie08
AG
I've got a 4 (soon to be 5) and 2 year old at home. We're debating on if we should enroll the older one in kindergarten for next year as if I were I were to set the odds of schools opening next august it would be at 50%. I don't see much value of doing online education at that age but perhaps I'm wrong. He's certainly ready for kindergarten mentally.
BMX Bandit
Quote:

if I were I were to set the odds of schools opening next august it would be at 50%

What do you base that on?
cone
AG
i'm curious how they're going to convince teachers (especially of a certain age) to be around 100s of lightly hygienic (at best) asymptomatic vectors
aTm2004
AG
I would hold off on enrolling the 4 year old, because he's going to be very young in his class. Our 4 year old will turn 5 in June and we're going to hold him back a year so he starts and finishes kindergarten as a 6 year old. My wife is a teacher and she's aware of the benefits to it and the differences in the sexes at this age, so I'm supporting her decision 100% on this. Our daughter is an April birthday and started kindergarten on-time, and she struggled at first since she was still on the younger side (as opposed to turning 5 the previous fall), but by the spring semester, she was doing great and has excelled in 1st grade. Boys tend to be slower to mature at this age, which is why we're delaying. Well, actually, we're putting him into a private kindergarten next year that pretty much exists for situations like this (very young 5) so he's going to essentially go into regular kindergarten ahead of most.

This is in addition to him being accepted to and enrolled in a pre-school program offered by our ISD. Out of his class of around 10, 2 others will be in his private class next year while the others go onto kindergarten, all for the same reason.
redag06
There is absolutely no harm in starting him in Kinder and seeing how he does. You can always pull him out. My daughter(yes I know girls vs boys) has a bday 3 days before the cut off, and we plan to start her. But my wife is an elementary admin and mom was an elementary school teacher for 34 years so we fell confident, especially since my brother was also not held back and had a birthday 1 day before the cutoff. he was always the youngest in his class, and at times he was immature, but he turned out alright graduating from a service academy.
redag06
Was your son in STEPS? I believe you are in Humble ISD.
Diggity
AG
can you pull them out? I'm not sure that's always an option. Probably depends on the district.
aTm2004
AG
Yes.
redag06
Yes, you can. Also remember Kinder is not required in the state of Texas.
redag06
My daughter was in STEPS as a 3 yo at the Oaks, great program!
aTm2004
AG
It was Deerwood or bust for us since my wife wasn't going to drive to Atascocita or Humble to drop him off while having to drop off 2 others nearby. Luckily, that's the spot he got. We really like the program and my wife really supports it since she's a special ed teacher as well. We'll probably have #3 in the program before kinder.
SJEAg
AG
Just don't expect him to be allowed to repeat K if things don't work out. We were exploring this option with our son, who was also young, and our school/district wouldn't allow it. Although he did finish the year, we didn't pull him out midway through. We landed up putting him in private K after public K, then back to public for 1st.

T Durden
AG
Ok, I'm ejecting from this thread now. Good luck everyone.
BohunkAg
AG
third coast.. said:

i appreciate it. maybe some sedatives all around.
I'm telling you, the best thing Abbott could do right now is legalize weed.
cajunaggie08
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

if I were I were to set the odds of schools opening next august it would be at 50%

The fact that there is no vaccine or cure available at the moment. Italy just finally started flattening the curve and we seem to be about 2-3 weeks behind them on every step of this process. Flattening the curve doesnt mean its under control, it means there isnt an increase in the number of new cases. There is still the same number of new cases the next day. Lets say it takes another 4-6 weeks for there to be no new cases in any given country after the curve flattens. Unless those who are infected are kept in locked down quarantine, what is to keep a few asymptomatic carriers from going about their life and reinfecting the general population and we start the whole process over again a month after that. Hopefully the virus will have mutated itself into extinction by then or a vaccine comes sooner than the experts project. Maybe i'm just being pessimistic but for me its just best to mentally prepare that this stay at home lifestyle will continue through the summer.
ChemAg15
AG
Why has this thread become a pissing contest over who has the worse situation?
Ducks4brkfast
AG
ChemAg15 said:

Why has this thread become a pissing contest over who has the worse situation?

This is a quaranTine discussion. We're discussing our quaranTine.
aTm2004
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

The fact that there is no vaccine or cure available at the moment. Italy just finally started flattening the curve and we seem to be about 2-3 weeks behind them on every step of this process. Flattening the curve doesnt mean its under control, it means there isnt an increase in the number of new cases. There is still the same number of new cases the next day. Lets say it takes another 4-6 weeks for there to be no new cases in any given country after the curve flattens. Unless those who are infected are kept in locked down quarantine, what is to keep a few asymptomatic carriers from going about their life and reinfecting the general population and we start the whole process over again a month after that. Hopefully the virus will have mutated itself into extinction by then or a vaccine comes sooner than the experts project. Maybe i'm just being pessimistic but for me its just best to mentally prepare that this stay at home lifestyle will continue through the summer.
Do you honestly think Americans will comply with that? We're a couple of weeks in and it seems like many are starting to crack. By the end of the month, people will be vocal about not being able to live a normal life, virus or not.
CDUB98
AG
And by the end of May, many Americans will run out of money, if not sooner.

When they can no longer buy food and sanitary products, expect bad things.
FNG
People would scream about it, but going really Draconian and doing full lockdown for almost everybody for two weeks would keep the virus from jumping around to new hosts as much.

It won't happen here, but assuming people will listen and behave also isn't working.
BowSowy
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

Increased testing capability (especially rapid results testing) will allow for better contact tracing which will be much more effective at limiting outbreaks. Plus, increased ventilator/PPE supply will make it easier for medical professionals to handle a surge in cases. Plus, increased number of studies and increased prescription drug supply will (I hope) mean our medical professionals have found a way to treat this virus for most people - that would also be helped by rapid test results.

I'm actually pretty optimistic that we will have a handle on this thing by the end of the summer, enough that we will be able to go back to a relatively normal lifestyle again. It's going to be painful getting to that point, though.
cajunaggie08
AG
aTm2004 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

Do you honestly think Americans will comply with that? We're a couple of weeks in and it seems like many are starting to crack. By the end of the month, people will be vocal about not being able to live a normal life, virus or not.
Don't I dont think they will hence why what is going on in NY, LA, and New Orleans is just a preview of what many of us will be looking at in due time as we aren't doing what is needed to kill off the virus. We're taking numerous half-measures because no one wants to be the one to pull the trigger and take away people's freedoms for 2 weeks out of fear of political suicide.
gougler08
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

Through the summer =/= school not starting in August?
CowtownAg06
AG
Disagree on this. We did take measures must faster than NY, plus we advantages with lower density. The biggest issue in NY is hospital capacity and we've got plenty. The other evidence is the fact that you're not seeing California over run in the same way. I'm not saying that we're out of the woods, but we are not headed toward being NY.
First Page Last Page
Page 67 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.