Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,496,440 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ciboag96
jenn96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MillennialAg said:

jenn96 said:

CyFair ISD just cancelled through May 4. To the surprise of no one, but now it's official. My kids are going to be functionally illiterate by August.

This tells us more about your style of parenting than it does about the school closure.

Well, it was a joke. But I'm working from home and my husband is still leaving all day for his job, so it's been really challenging to do school work and try to maintain any productivity for work. I'm grateful that we've gotten a curriculum and resources from the district but for elementary kids it's still requires a lot of hands on help from parents. I'm just frustrated as hell. I know it affects everyone but most of the people I work with don't have kids or have stay at home wives so I worry about being perceived as the slacker. My co-workers are understanding but the work needs to get done regardless.

And on the other side I worry about the kids falling behind. Perspective matters, compared to being in the hospital or losing my business or livelihood it's not so bad, but I just feel like I can't get a handle on anything.
swimmerbabe11
I have lots of friends who have kids in the same situation.. I think almost everyone feels frazzled, stressed, and behind. Everyone is on edge and feels like they are just treading water and waiting for the next shoe to drop.

One of my coworkers is a single mom, who just sold her house and is trying to shop, pack, run a side business, plus we have zoom training meetings, but are making almost nothing because we are mostly commission has been texting me often about how difficult all this has been. she sent me this

https://instagr.am/p/B-YAaugBLwS

take heart! I'll pray for you!
jenn96
AG
Thank you.
BohunkAg
AG
Hang in there. You ain't the only one.
T Durden
AG
95% of households with kids are a major poop show these days. I'm guilty of worrying too much as well, but try to relax.
Bregxit
AG
BohunkAg said:

Hang in there. You ain't the only one.

Yep. Wife and I both work...luckily at home now. Have a 2nd and 5th grader. The second grader still needs a bunch of hands on time with homework. Fifth grader we just have to follow up and make sure she did it all...and that she didn't miss anything from the eleventy billion different ways her teachers are sending it home.

Definitely drinking more...and less opportunity for mommy daddy fun time.
Ag_07
AG
Your kids aren't gonna forget everything they know or fall behind.

Hell they miss 3 months of school every year. A few weeks isn't gonna hurt them.

It's tough juggling everything but kids are tougher than we give them credit for. Do what you can but also let them be kids and know if they miss a few lessons it's not the end of the world.
Bregxit
AG
Ag_07 said:

It's tough juggling everything but kids are tougher than we give them credit for..

Truth. Mine have matured a lot over the last month and have become much more independent.
Texan_Aggie
AG
jenn96 said:

MillennialAg said:

jenn96 said:

CyFair ISD just cancelled through May 4. To the surprise of no one, but now it's official. My kids are going to be functionally illiterate by August.

This tells us more about your style of parenting than it does about the school closure.

Well, it was a joke. But I'm working from home and my husband is still leaving all day for his job, so it's been really challenging to do school work and try to maintain any productivity for work. I'm grateful that we've gotten a curriculum and resources from the district but for elementary kids it's still requires a lot of hands on help from parents. I'm just frustrated as hell. I know it affects everyone but most of the people I work with don't have kids or have stay at home wives so I worry about being perceived as the slacker. My co-workers are understanding but the work needs to get done regardless.

And on the other side I worry about the kids falling behind. Perspective matters, compared to being in the hospital or losing my business or livelihood it's not so bad, but I just feel like I can't get a handle on anything.
Yes, we had a call on this today. The support of my company has been commendable. No intention of layoffs, allowing people to work less than 40 hours if need to take care of parents or kids, offering to provide home office equipment.

The problem I anticipate is how long this support will go on. We are all in this together (so we say), but I could foresee a growing tension between those who can easily work 40+ hours uninterrupted, and those of us who have kids (especially small kids) that need to be looked after.

Hopefully this ends by end of April, though I'm anticipating end of May at earliest.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Update? T and P either way.
CoachRTM
AG
Quote:

The problem I anticipate is how long this support will go on. We are all in this together (so we say), but I could foresee a growing tension between those who can easily work 40+ hours uninterrupted, and those of us who have kids (especially small kids) that need to be looked after.

I think it's going to happen, especially with at least another month of this. I don't have any kids, and I'm working circles around those who do. So much so that their workload is getting shifted to me. It's hard to tell between the slackers and those who are legitimately unable to work to the same extent as before (there are definitely some of both).

I'm just hoping it'll help me in the long run.
wessimo
AG
HISD shut down indefinitely.
BillYeoman
Exactly. There was a time in our country where we didn't rely on public schools to educate:/baby sit our kids. Let your kids be kids. Teach them what you know. Have peace to know everything is going to work out for them.
Mikeyshooter
AG
wessimo said:

Definitely for the best even if there wasn't a pandemic.
TXTransplant
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Update? T and P either way.

She updated her thread on the politics forum, if you can stand to venture over there.

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3103692/0#discussion
Al Bula
AG
wessimo said:

HCSO not the only entity to release criminals.
Post removed:
by user
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Total **** show at my house with 5, 8 and 9 year old boys.

My wife goes back and forth from wanting to divorce me or the kids.

Only thing helping are whiskey and edibles.
Dr. Doctor
AG
jenn96 said:

MillennialAg said:

jenn96 said:

Wife and I are working from home. She normally WFH and I've been working now.

We have a 2 year old and 6 year old.

It is REALLY hard to work sometimes. 2 year old only stays on focus for maybe 2 minutes. 6 year old can do zoom with classes or work book.

Needless to say, it gets fun around the house.

~egon
Zemira
AG
jenn96 said:

And doing activities at home and review work with them isn't a thing? Good grief take some personal responsibility for your own kids.

Edit: I come across kind of harsh, I apologise. The thing is I realize this isn't an ideal situation for anyone. Almost everyone unless you are a hermit who works from home, it's not your normal. How well you and the kids can cope translates a lot how they fare when faced with adversity. Do what you can for the kids. That 8-9 hours a day at school, they aren't learning most of that time. The littlest kids only need a a few hours learning a day and then let them to enjoyable activities.

I realize it's probably a pain, but try to make the best of it. Everyone with kids is basically in the same boat, unless they homeschool.

HouAggie2007
You're late to the dogpile
agdaddy04
AG
You may want to read the full thread.
TXTransplant
Geez, can we stop ragging on other posters?!? It's clear she was joking, but this work from home with kids underfoot has got a lot of people on edge. Let people blow off some steam without shaming them.

If you want to make attacks on other posters, go quarantine yourself on the politics board.
Liquid Wrench
No no, I need to feel better about myself, and taking obvious jokes at face value helps with that.
jenn96
AG
third coast.. said:

welp, off to central america until the end of july. there are no flights in or out so i am basically stuck on a paying prison. was supposed to get off in 3 weeks. this whole thing being open ended is so ****ing killer. my poor wife is stuck with a 3 and 2 year old until who knows when with basically no help. it was so hard not to quit this job this week while we were here in america. god forbid someone in my family get sick or i get hurt at work because the office basically told us we are SOL in regards to being repatriated.

And there's the perspective I needed. That sucks and I'm sorry your family is dealing with that.
Bondag
AG
third coast.. said:

welp, off to central america until the end of july. there are no flights in or out so i am basically stuck on a paying prison. was supposed to get off in 3 weeks. this whole thing being open ended is so ****ing killer. my poor wife is stuck with a 3 and 2 year old until who knows when with basically no help. it was so hard not to quit this job this week while we were here in america. god forbid someone in my family get sick or i get hurt at work because the office basically told us we are SOL in regards to being repatriated.

Will trade my wife running errands for your wife interior design.
Post removed:
by user
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
2 and a 4 year old with two working parents one of which is 8 month preggers. Ain't **** getting done at all. Almost zero productivity. Can't take care of the kids well enough to keep them entertained and not whining or crying and just barely able to do the bare minimum for work while it seems every other coworker without kids gets to chill all day, get there work done and play video games or watch Netflix all day.
I just want to drink until I pass out but I can't because trying to work with one hand while running a day care with the other while hungover would give me a heart attack.
I think it's only one or two more months, we can get by, and then I remember I'm about to throw a newborn on top of my slowing sinking body while I tread water

**** me ive never wanted to go back to work more.
Baron von Bulsh
I live in Pearland but work in League City. If there's anything I can do to help, just let me know.
tylercsbn9
AG
aTm2004 said:

So the jails already have COVID19 and they were contained there but now dora the explorer has the brilliant idea to let them in public and potentially spread it.

Genius

At least she got to virtue signal though
Baron von Bulsh
That's how my wife is able to handle the 3 kiddos
94chem
Zemira said:

jenn96 said:

And doing activities at home and review work with them isn't a thing? Good grief take some personal responsibility for your own kids.

19 year old - ESL, functionally illiterate, working on credit recovery
17 year old - 4AP classes, 504 plan, health science track
15 year old - different HS, 2 AP classes, athletics, band
14 year old - middle school, disabled, ESL, 504/ARD, PT, OT
12 YO - middle school, 504, band
9 YO - elem. school

So, that's AP Chem, AP Spanish lit, AP Euro History, AP Am History, AP Geography, AP Spanish 4, ESL, 5 different schools, 2 musical instruments, 4 kids in Spanish Immersion, countless zoom meetings, emails from teachers/schools/district every 5 minutes, online assignments...and I'm supposed to be working from home.

I'm about up to my ears in personal responsibility, but thanks for the advice.
Zemira
AG
94chem said:

Zemira said:

jenn96 said:

19 year old - ESL, functionally illiterate, working on credit recovery
17 year old - 4AP classes, 504 plan, health science track
15 year old - different HS, 2 AP classes, athletics, band
14 year old - middle school, disabled, ESL, 504/ARD, PT, OT
12 YO - middle school, 504, band
9 YO - elem. school

So, that's AP Chem, AP Spanish lit, AP Euro History, AP Am History, AP Geography, AP Spanish 4, ESL, 5 different schools, 2 musical instruments, 4 kids in Spanish Immersion, countless zoom meetings, emails from teachers/schools/district every 5 minutes, online assignments...and I'm supposed to be working from home.

I'm about up to my ears in personal responsibility, but thanks for the advice.
Yikes that is rough with that many kids and schools. Six kids is just alot in the first place. If you can make that in normal times you are superhuman.

Sorry I was so judgemental in my prior post. Several people I know have one or two kids and they act like their life is just impossible to do anything now with them at home. I hope it makes them realize what some of their teachers must go through if they can't deal with one child at home.
jenn96
AG
It's not having the kids at home, it's trying to work and still keep them fed, doing schoolwork and not fighting and tearing up the house because they're bored out of their minds with no friends, no sports, no activities and parents who are radiating stress despite themselves. They do great when we play structured games, sit down and read together, have LEGO construction contests, make cookies and escape to the park. And I love it when we do those things, but they take up a lot of time.

The problem is that I also have a department to run and research to do and calls to make. My company depends on me to provide data and analysis and outputs to do their jobs, now more than ever while we figure out if we can survive this downturn and do as many deals as possible before it gets even worse. I'm at about 50% productivity and my team is picking up the slack but it's my responsibility and ultimately my ass if the work doesn't get done. And it's not fair to my co-workers, not for this long. So the though of another month of this feels like drowning in quicksand, especially since I know it's going to be more than a month.
First Page Last Page
Page 66 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.