Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,500,006 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
dragmagpuff
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

Boo Weekley said:

I am not a supply-chain guy, but could the grocery store water shortages be a lagging result from the run on water last week after the water main bust?

Are people really panic-buying water over a virus in its infant stages?
This is a big part of it. The water run happened last week after the boil notice before the Corona started putting everyone into panic mode in Houston.
I didn't buy bottled water, but the water boil made me realize that I was probably not prepared enough for hurricane season which will follow coronavirus "season".

So, yesterday, on my Normal grocery trip, I made sure to stock up some nonperishable food and bought more frozen food as an extra buffer if for some reason I am unable to leave my home for 2 weeks due to a self-quarantine. My HEB was pretty well stocked except for bottled water and canned soups. I generally only eat perishable foods, so it was good to stock up on stuff that won't go bad.

I would hate to have to break quarantine just to buy food, or have someone deliver food to me and then be the idiot that spread the infection.
rilloaggie
AG
It's not just the water main break. People are in full freakout mode. I stopped into an HEB yesterday to grab groceries and, anecdotally, you can tell people are "stocking up" for the pandemic. Crap that usually never sells is sold out. They had zero white vinegar, very little bleach, and stocks of stuff like rice/beans/tuna were fairly depleted. Guy checking out behind me had a cart with about 8 cases of water in it. And the hand sanitizer section...well you can see that below.

dragmagpuff
AG
I think some HEBs started rationing. I saw lots of signs at Bunker Hill limiting to say "4 total cases of water" and "3 things of hand sanitizer".
ccolley68
AG
Grocery in my hood has bottled water pallets everywhere, but they limit it to 3 cases per transaction.
lunchbox
rangerdanger
AG
rilloaggie said:

It's not just the water main break. People are in full freakout mode. I stopped into an HEB yesterday to grab groceries and, anecdotally, you can tell people are "stocking up" for the pandemic. Crap that usually never sells is sold out. They had zero white vinegar, very little bleach, and stocks of stuff like rice/beans/tuna were fairly depleted. Guy checking out behind me had a cart with about 8 cases of water in it. And the hand sanitizer section...well you can see that below.

Hope those hand soaps on the left were just stocked. You know your business is in trouble when people still don't buy your **** outta fear like they did the other guys.
SweaterVest
AG
rangerdanger said:

rilloaggie said:

Hope those hand soaps on the left were just stocked. You know your business is in trouble when people still don't buy your **** outta fear like they did the other guys.
I saw the same thing at HEB yesterday. Its easy to tell which ones aren't labeled "antibacterial"
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
CFTXAG10
AG
Open tweet.
Read replies.
Die of laughter before you get Corona Virus.

My favorite:

tamuags08
AG
Just got back to the Tine from Seattle. The news there was going nuts over the local cases there.

Amazon and Microsoft are having folks work at home over the next several weeks.
bearkatag15
AG
SXSW is cancelled
IrishTxAggie
AG
bearkatag15 said:

SXSW is cancelled

Rodeo tickets about to get cheaper!
CFTXAG10
AG
That was one of the concerns I had about Rodeo. All of the secondary market ticket sales that would have to be refunded. Not just from ticket sites but person to person too.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Good luck on the P2P refunds if it gets to that point. I don't think Rodeo will be cancelled. SXSW was due to be attended by everyone in the hotspots on the West Coast before the cancellations came in. SXSW would've kept the show going if all the big names didn't pull out. This wasn't about safety to them. It was about all the money they lost coming in
wessimo
AG
2 more in Ft. Bend that went on that Egypt tour.

aTm2004
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Open tweet.
Read replies.
Die of laughter before you get Corona Virus.

My favorite:

bearkatag15
AG

First deaths in US outside of the Pacific NW.
Ag_07
AG
I really don't get the water run. Do people expect their faucets won't be working?
Liquid Wrench
Ag_07 said:

I really don't get the water run. Do people expect their faucets won't be working?
I don't know but was talking tonight to a neighbor who manages a large box store and it's ridiculous. They're getting three shipments a day and can't keep the shelves stocked. Can't keep hand sanitizer stocked either.
bearkatag15
AG
Body By Fisher said:

Ag_07 said:

I don't know but was talking tonight to a neighbor who manages a large box store and it's ridiculous. They're getting three shipments a day and can't keep the shelves stocked. Can't keep hand sanitizer stocked either.
I kinda get hand sanitizer, but toilet paper is by far the strangest thing that is getting bought up. I went to pick up a few things from Kroger in Cinco Ranch on my home from work today and this was the TP aisle....

Silky Johnston
The run on ass paper didn't make any sense to me either until a coworker had a theory. People are buying up TP in case they have to be quarantined for 14 days.
bearkatag15
AG
Silky Johnston said:

The run on ass paper didn't make any sense to me either until a coworker had a theory. People are buying up TP in case they have to be quarantined for 14 days.
Instacart exists... no personal contact is required for that.
Liquid Wrench
It kinda sucks for people who need stuff for their regular uses, like working outdoors or construction. While I was talking to my friend for a couple minutes, 3 different people came up asking him where the hand sanitizer is (and I normally never even see him out in the store). All he could tell them was to check back tomorrow because they're getting shipments throughout the day but he doesn't know when they're coming. One girl calmly said "OK, it's just something I need...it's not for...you know..."

We can get all that crap delivered, but not everyone has Amazon Prime or whatever and are just trying to make their regular store runs. Has been a tremendous boost to sales numbers, though.
TXAG 05
AG
Amazon is sold out of hand sanitizer too.
BMX Bandit
Silky Johnston said:

I thought it was obvious that was the reason.

get things you need in case you can't leave the house for 14 days
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I will just Amazon prime a bidet if I get locked up for two weeks. And, I believe HEB will deliver beer now. Bring it on corona.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Total Wine in The Heights has delivery. I e gone entire weekends without leaving my house except to walk the dog.
Mikeyshooter
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Silky Johnston said:

Right but does internet or phones stop working?
Mikeyshooter
AG
Dp
spadilly
S
Bondag
AG
Mikeyshooter said:

BMX Bandit said:

Silky Johnston said:

My internet and cable was down yesterday morning for about an hour as I was getting ready for work. Can't imagine 2 weeks of that.

We would probably have a population surge to replace all the ones we lose though.
Premium
AG
So I already have my first employee ask in front of everyone. "So, Amazon and Microsoft are having their people work from home. Are we?"

I said if you feel like you have the Coronavirus then you go ahead and stay home.

Then I see Frito and another big company in Plano are doing the same?
Stat Monitor Repairman
Got tired of washing my hands so much. Decided to get a few boxes of nitrile gloves at harbor freight and squirt hand sanitizer in the gloves. This way my hands are constantly immersed in hand sanitizer providing maximum protection.
BMX Bandit
Mikeyshooter said:

BMX Bandit said:

Silky Johnston said:

of course not.

but the reason people are stocking up on TP shouldn't be a mystery.

despite that most of us and most we know using internet delivery regularly, many many people don't.
BMX Bandit
IrishTxAggie said:

Total Wine in The Heights has delivery. I e gone entire weekends without leaving my house except to walk the dog.
so you've gone entire weekends without leaving the house except when you left the house?
First Page Last Page
Page 6 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.