Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,475,524 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ciboag96
aggietony2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
About to brave the East El Paso (Katy) Costco. Will report back if I survive.

I don't want to go, but my parents have their prescriptions there. I already had to scold them for grocery shopping this morning (they have 4 kids in the area who offered to do it for them). There's no way I'm letting my immunocompromised dad face Costco. Maybe I'll look for some noise canceling headphones, as I'm staring at a month of WFH with 3 kids 5 and under in the house.
God save the Patriarchy!
swimmerbabe11
I think they have gotten a lot more popular, but not everyone wears them. I just couldn't imagine not wearing my class ring and I do think mine is really pretty.
cone
AG
i honestly don't think there's such a thing as too soon in the first few weeks of a pandemic while you're getting your sea legs

this gives us a change to get the diagnostics in place and prelim surveillance and through the clinical trials without a demoralizing event

the economic carnage was going to come eventually, so let's grind the embers underfoot and get ready for 6-9 months of vigilance
Bregxit
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

You study constitutional law at the University of Phoenix?

Zobel
AG
Depends. If you get a significant group of people that figure you're crying wolf and say f- it the next shutdown just won't work.
cone
AG
I think NYC is going to be the cautionary ****show
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
cone said:

I think NYC is going to be the cautionary ****show
The San Fran mayor says hold my beer
Zobel
AG
Starting to look that way. Hold on to your butts. Glad its not us.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Cities where people don't use a lot of public transportation and/or live on top of each other in apartments are more adept at dealing with a highly communicable disease. Go figure.
gougler08
AG
de Blasio is ****ing ******ed
CDUB98
AG
gougler08 said:

de Blasio is ****ing ******ed

He's ****ing Commie skidmark.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Still haven't found Harris County specific data but did find Texas data.

Total tests conducted: 1,268
Positive: 64
Negative: 1,204
Deaths: 1
Last updated: 3/17, 13:00 ET.

Source
IrishTxAggie
AG
We're all gonna die!!

'checks below website'

https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/en

........6 new deaths in the US today so far
IrishTxAggie
AG
You can get county specific data in the link in my post above. Just click on the state and the counties will drop down.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Your link will show you the number of positives which is great but I want to know how many people they are actually testing here in Houston.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

Your link will show you the number of positives which is great but I want to know how many people they are actually testing here in Houston.
Gotcha. We'll probably have to wait for Supreme Chancellor Turner or Darth Hidalgo to have a presser
Zobel
AG

Quote:

Supreme Chancellor Turner or Darth Hidalgo

bearkatag15
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

We're all gonna die!!

'checks below website'

https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/en

........6 new deaths in the US today so far
Not that its that big of a difference, but I'm seeing 15 new deaths today.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Which looks like could likely equal or even pass yesterday's total and is a lot more than what it has been on a per day basis everyday up until yesterday.

IrishTxAggie
AG
Not sure why or how it's tracking deaths...maybe that's since the last time I visited the site?
bearkatag15
AG
It resets every day

Quote:

The day is reset after midnight GMT+0. The "New" columns for China display the previous day changes (as China reports after the day is over). For all other countries, the "New" columns display the changes for the current day while still in progress.
GMT+0 is 5 hours ahead of CST. So at 7pm CST that site resets its new cases and new deaths columns.
. . .
Quote:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/coronavirus-live-updates-Houston-area-Texas-cases-15136696.php

A man who recently traveled to California became the fifth person to test positive for COVID-19 in Montgomery County, officials said Tuesday.

The man, who is in his 50s, is a resident of South Montgomery County, officials said. He is currently in isolation in his home.
Quote:

https://abc13.com/health/39-coronavirus-cases-confirmed-in-houston-area/

NO LONGER 'PRESUMPTIVE POSITIVE'
Earlier this month, some cases were being reported as 'presumptive positive', which meant that a case had been tested and determined positive, but had not yet been confirmed by the CDC. Now, the CDC is no longer doing additional confirmation on positive cases.

Brazos County: 1 person
The county, home to Texas A&M, confirmed its first case of COVID-19 on March 17. However, the university confirmed the case is not a Texas A&M or Blinn College student. The patient is a woman in her 20s.

Galveston County: 2 people
On March 17, Galveston announced its second case. The patient is a man between 45 to 50 years old. He went to a UTMB clinic with symptoms including fever, dry cough, sore throat, headache and body aches. Results from the clinic showed he tested positive for COVID-19. His results were pending confirmation from the Houston Health Department laboratory. Officials said the man has not recently traveled or been in contact with another infected person, suggesting the first signs of community spread in Galveston County.

Harris County: 11 people
On March 17, Harris County public health officials announced three new cases. The first is a man between 40 and 50 years old who lives in northwest Harris County. An investigation into his travel history was ongoing. The second new case was a woman between 40 and 50 years old who lives in southeast Harris County. An investigation into her travel history was also ongoing. The third new case was another man between 40 and 50 years old who lives in northwest Harris County. He had known contact with a positive COVID-19 case.

On Tuesday, Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo said two of the cases revealed were in critical condition.

Matagorda County: 3 people, including 1 death
On March 17, the county reported a woman between 50 and 55 as its third positive COVID-19 case. The patient recently traveled to the state of Washington, according to officials. At the onset of symptoms, the patient underwent screening and testing for COVID-19 and stated that she "immediately went home to self-quarantine" and that she has "been in self-quarantine since last Friday [March 13]." The patient reported that she has been in contact with state health officials who are monitoring her health status, and that she expects to hear from them "in the next day or two" for more information on the expected duration of her self-quarantine.
Bregxit
AG
FYI for kids' entertainment in the evenings...Dude Perfect is doing live streams every night this week at 7PM called the Quarantine Classic where they compete against each other in various games. Monday was a 3-point contest, tonight was office chair hockey and tomorrow is office golf.

Pretty fun stuff to kill 30 minutes with the kids in the evening.
AgLiving06
So I read this as a death rate in the US of 1.6%, which we know is understated by lack of testing....
TXTransplant
Diocese of Galveston-Houston cancelled all masses indefinitely.
XpressAg09
AG
AgLiving06 said:

So I read this as a death rate in the US of 1.6%, which we know is understated by lack of testing....
Do you mean overstated? If 1.6 people per 100 tested die, and 100 more actually have it but weren't tested, and they don't die, then that's actually 0.8 deaths per 100.

I'm assuming that people that die of this count towards 'tested.'
AgLiving06
XpressAg09 said:

AgLiving06 said:

Do you mean overstated? If 1.6 people per 100 tested die, and 100 more actually have it but weren't tested, and they don't die, then that's actually 0.8 deaths per 100.

You're correct.

So we are shutting life down over 1.6% at the high end.
David_Puddy
AG
Good friend of mine is having all of the symptoms after a recent work trip to Boston. He got tested today & said they told him they'd have results back in a day. He was in the ER for 7 hours
combat wombat™
AG
That's why you aren't supposed to go to the ER.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
And 10 more cases, unless it's life or death I wouldn't set foot in an emergency room right now if I could help it
Ags #1
AG
Stupid question but what are the steps to take?
combat wombat™
AG
CALL your PCP and/or "health department".

Basically they don't want you sitting in waiting roomd infecting people.
jenn96
AG
AgLiving06 said:

XpressAg09 said:

AgLiving06 said:

You're correct.

As contagious as the disease is, a 1.6% mortality rate means well over a million American deaths, almost all of them hospitalizations requiring weeks of intensive care first. There is legitimate reason to ask if what we're doing can even work - and at what point does destroying the economy do more damage to the psyche of our country than those deaths and the deaths of other patients who can't get into the hospitals for care because of a severely overloaded health care system. But don't think that 1.6% - or .8% - is nothing just because it's a small number. If it ends up being a percentage of a very large contaminated group then it will be an enormous loss of life. Which is why we're trying to mitigate it through social distancing, to have fewer infected people to begin with.

(ETA chart is from https://www.thinkglobalhealth.org/article/could-coronavirus-kill-million-americans)
cajunaggie08
AG
Fort Bend County closed all restaurants and bars from dining in last night. So does Mayor Turner and Judge Hidalgo get a check for that too? I'm losing track of all these conspiracy theories.
Bassmaster
AG
Yes, now surrounding counties are in a race to keep up with their idiocy.
gougler08
AG
jenn96 said:

AgLiving06 said:

XpressAg09 said:

AgLiving06 said:

You're correct.

As contagious as the disease is, a 1.6% mortality rate means well over a million American deaths, almost all of them hospitalizations requiring weeks of intensive care first. There is legitimate reason to ask if what we're doing can even work - and at what point does destroying the economy do more damage to the psyche of our country than those deaths and the deaths of other patients who can't get into the hospitals for care because of a severely overloaded health care system. But don't think that 1.6% - or .8% - is nothing just because it's a small number. If it ends up being a percentage of a very large contaminated group then it will be an enormous loss of life. Which is why we're trying to mitigate it through social distancing, to have fewer infected people to begin with.

(ETA chart is from https://www.thinkglobalhealth.org/article/could-coronavirus-kill-million-americans)
This is assuming you think 30-40% of America gets the disease...which seems like an incredibly pessimistic view of it considering even Italy still has a <0.1% infection rate today
First Page Last Page
Page 35 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.