Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,496,874 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ciboag96
Texan_Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jack Klompus said:

Greater Houston Partnership has created a dashboard "Reopen Houston Safely". Some interesting data there including downtown parking transactions, businesses' attitudes toward reopening, and restaurant reservations.

https://www.houston.org/reopen-safely-dashboard
I found the business attitudes to be interesting. I think the exploitation of fear, lack of clear facts/understanding of the virus, or a combination of the two are causing a lot companies just to say screw it, we'll come back when this thing is definitely over (talking office type jobs). I was a believer that there was pent up demand initially and life would go back to normal, but the duration and way leadership/media has crapped all over this thing to where I think a majority of people are tired and now accustomed to being homebodies. I fear even if we "open everything back up", consumer behavior will not get back to previous levels for a while.
cone
AG
understood

but someone for the love of god make them work for it

I respect their determination, but they should be forced to pay a political cost as well
Texan_Aggie
AG
cone said:

I just want Lina and Sly to show their cards

what are the metrics and goals required to open HISD?

should be a simple question for the Chron to ask them point blank
It's like p0rn. You'll know it when you see it.
Jack Klompus
AG
cone said:

I just want Lina and Sly to show their cards

what are the metrics and goals required to open HISD?

should be a simple question for the Chron to ask them point blank
Sly has been touting positivity rate of 10% or less lately. We all know that stat is the easiest way to cook the books. If you want increased positivity rate--> reduce the number of tests available.
cone
AG
well that would look bad if he's serious about sentinel surveillance
Fitch
AG
Having worked with the mayors office I don't get the sense they're relishing the continued state of affairs, but go with whatever blows your skirt up I guess.

RE: resumption of normalcy, schools, etc... seems that Dr. Persse and Dr. Shah clearly (and I'd suspect the TMC presidents and Peter Hotez probably) have a couple scenarios in mind.

It gets back to daily new case rates. Hotez has mentioned ideally having something like 1 new case per million per day, but acknowledged it wouldn't necessarily have to be that draconian. I don't see how you get within a few orders of magnitude of that at this point.
Post removed:
by user
W
AG
oh yes, this has gone on for so long now...many people will be making permanent changes to numerous aspects of their lives
cone
AG
lolwut

see that's why we need them to spell it out

if they want this over with, tell us how and when we know we're there

take a risk, be honest
Bluesock06
AG
You want them to spell it out? I'll help.

Nov. 5th.
Gig'em Class of '06
Keegan99
AG
Hotez has been all panic. Three weeks ago he said the US was going to have 100k cases per day and last week he said the US was going to have 300k deaths by the end of the year.
cone
AG
Quote:

Hotez has mentioned ideally having something like 1 new case per million per day
i want to highlight this

WTF

are we going to dig a moat around grand parkway and blow the bridges?
Keegan99
AG
1 new detected infection per million is lunacy if you don't know the specificity of the test.

Let's be extremely optimistic and say the test is 99.9% specific. If you run 10,000 tests per day, you're going to have 10 positive results.
SirLurksALot
cone said:

Quote:

Hotez has mentioned ideally having something like 1 new case per million per day
i want to highlight this

WTF

Hotez Has been advocating for essentially a Chinese style lockdown. He sent a plan to the White House saying that we could hit the 1 new case per million per day goal by October if we followed his plan. He's completely off the rails and no one should be listening to him.
tamuags08
AG
cone said:

Quote:

i want to highlight this

WTF

Don't forget SAM's to blow planes out of the sky.
59 South
AG
These people running things are incompetent at best. Incompetent and borderline felons at worst. They're definitely somewhere on that spectrum.

Just catching up from last week.... my comment about all this being predictable was misunderstood in the most internet way possible. I meant the politicians latching onto this and using it to their advantage to divide and conquer in an election year.
Fitch
AG
Lol, yeah kind of the reaction I thought that would gin up.

The interview that came from...

ptothemo
AG
Hotez might be tying that bowtie juusssttt a bit tight these days.
cone
AG
reaction?

as if we're the crazy ones
cone
AG
dr. hotez,

do you want to forcibly remove positive cases from their homes and place them into de facto FEMA camps?
TarponChaser
Keegan99 said:

Hotez has been all panic. Three weeks ago he said the US was going to have 100k cases per day and last week he said the US was going to have 300k deaths by the end of the year.

And if we do, so what?

What's the delta between total deaths, YTD, between 2019 and 2020? Last I saw (granted it was a month ago) it was only like 30,000 nationwide. So, in essence, the 'rona only accounted for an increase of 30K on total annual deaths of like 7.5MM- that's a 0.4% increase. Barely a rounding error.
chjoak
AG
Good listen from Shapiro on media vs reality...

https://www.facebook.com/officialbenshapiro/videos/3092716770837399/
SirLurksALot
Fitch said:

Lol, yeah kind of the reaction I thought that would gin up.

The interview that came from...

Yeah, no thanks. He's simply fear mongering. Even under the worst case scenario 99.4% of the country survives. Locking down until we hit some Ridiculous low level of new cases is unacceptable. The impact of the death is minuscule. The impact of the lock downs is significantly worse. I'd much rather have only 300,000 dead by the end of the year than to lockdown again for months.
Post removed:
by user
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
third coast.. said:

I honestly cant believe we are still having lock down vs no lockdown conversations. It truly blows my mind.

Get used to it. We'll be having the same conversations for months or years to come.
aTm2004
AG
third coast.. said:

I honestly cant believe we are still having lock down vs no lockdown conversations. It truly blows my mind.
People in power are drunk off of it and can't let it go. They're going to ride this drug out as long as they can.
lunchbox
This week's update...a 7 day avg would be less than 10%.

Edit - for comparison, here is last week's...

gougler08
AG
Right on cue, testing is way down so we can keep that % up...what a ****ing joke
terradactylexpress
Do they post the data behind that chart? It seems completely screwy
lunchbox
terradactylexpress said:

Do they post the data behind that chart? It seems completely screwy
I just spent a while looking for it and couldn't find it...
cone
AG
uncontrolled spread but yet the graph seems to show a level of control, either natural or manmade
Post removed:
by user
cone
AG
question

why has the testing volume completely collapsed?

why isn't the health department maintaining late june levels of testing by whatever means necessary?
Fitch
AG
Talked to a technician last night as it were.

Week before last was apparently very busy. This past week not as much. Still, testing labs are taking 9-14 days to turn around just given volume.

Can't make people go get a test, or at least we haven't been.
chimpanzee
Seersucker Ag 2011 said:

third coast.. said:

Get used to it. We'll be having the same conversations for months or years to come.
Seriously. What happens when something 7x more deadly to kids comes around.

Like it does every single year.
First Page Last Page
Page 228 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.