Houston
Sponsored by

Ship Channel Closed

9,090 Views | 87 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by aTm2004
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just add this to the charges

Greenpeace bridge protesters blamed for crash on Fred Hartman Bridge

Quote:

Crash scene investigators say a van carrying the protesters partially blocked a lane on the northbound side of the bridge, just east of Houston.

A vehicle coming over the bridge around 6:30 a.m. saw the van at the last second, hit the brakes and swerved to avoid hitting it.
Another vehicle then rear-ended the second vehicle.

The driver of the second vehicle suffered minor injuries and was checked out at a nearby clinic, treated and released.

aTm2004
AG
Now that the driver knows who they were, I bet he's upset at himself for swerving.
aTm2004
AG
Have fun.

RK
AG
he has the skill-set to hang from a rope for several hours? true professional.
GrayMatter
AG
I don't know what's more entertaining: seeing the protesters go through this or seeing everyone's panties get in a wad over this.
Cromagnum
AG
GrayMatter said:

I don't know what's more entertaining: seeing the protesters go through this or seeing everyone's panties get in a wad over this.

It is costing a ****load of money to prevent operation of the channel to support hurt feelings. If Greenpeace is willing to cover all the costs incurred to make everyone whole, a lot less people would care.
RK
AG
these guys do for environmental awareness what critical mass does for cycling awareness.
Anti-taxxer
AG
Any reason these asshats haven't been arrested yet?
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
GrayMatter said:

The ship channel is the engine that drives Houston's economy. These donut punchers have shut it down to bring attention to a nonsense political cause. Which, by the way, shutting down the ship channel forces vessels on the water that are burning bunker fuel, probably the dirtiest fuel in existence today, to return to anchorage, hold at the ship channel sea buoy burning more fuel, and costing every stakeholder in the shipping business serious time and money.

These idiots decided that their stupid pet political stunt is more important than the livelihood of millions of people. And, as a collateral bonus, by shutting down the ship channel, they're causing shipping traffic to pollute more than they would otherwise.

**** 'em. Hopefully some workboats will turn their water cannons on the protestors and hit them until they just fall to their deaths and wash ashore in ships' wakes.
Zemira
AG
PeekingDuck said:

"The Ship Channel is one of the biggest exporters of oil," she said. "About 7,000 barrels of oil come through here."
doh tankers routinely carry 500,000+ barrels of oil each.

If you can't even get simple facts straight. Attention seeking eco terrorists.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
smango05 said:

I'll give you a hint: It starts with a 'L' and ends with an "ina Hidalgo."
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Ag_07
AG
aTm2004 said:

Have fun.

Anti-taxxer
AG
blindey said:

smango05 said:

I'll rephrase - any LOGICAL reason?
Zemira
AG
Besides the crappy County Judge the fanatical Beto supporters voted in? Nope.

I don't think her administration could survive any sort of natural disaster without imploding.
Ag_07
AG
smango05 said:

blindey said:

smango05 said:

As much we'd like to see it happen that's a pretty risky rescue/arrest mission. It'd be putting LEOs at risk when they're not going anywhere.

As of now lives are not at risk. Bringing them down would be doing just that.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
blindey said:

GrayMatter said:

The ship channel is the engine that drives Houston's economy. These donut punchers have shut it down to bring attention to a nonsense political cause. Which, by the way, shutting down the ship channel forces vessels on the water that are burning bunker fuel, probably the dirtiest fuel in existence today, to return to anchorage, hold at the ship channel sea buoy burning more fuel, and costing every stakeholder in the shipping business serious time and money.

These idiots decided that their stupid pet political stunt is more important than the livelihood of millions of people. And, as a collateral bonus, by shutting down the ship channel, they're causing shipping traffic to pollute more than they would otherwise

agreed, but nobody appears to be doing a ****ing thing about it so their little fairy tale is only emboldened.

there might be a few true believers among the group but as a whole, just like peta, it's just a bunch of outcasts who need to be a part of something, cause be damned.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Ag_07 said:

smango05 said:

blindey said:

smango05 said:

As much we'd like to see it happen that's a pretty risky rescue/arrest mission. It'd be putting LEOs at risk when they're not going anywhere.

As of now lives are not at risk. Bringing them down would be doing just that.

i get it...i do. but they chose to put their lives at risk so **** 'em.

Anti-taxxer
AG
Zemira said:

Besides the crappy County Judge the fanatical Beto supporters voted in? Nope.

I don't think her administration could survive any sort of natural disaster without imploding.

Then it's a good thing she promised to stop the flooding!!
Ag_07
AG
I don't disagree but that's not how the real world works.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Ag_07 said:

I don't disagree but that's not how the real world works.

i know. the real world sucks and lacks common sense at an increasingly alarming rate.
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
Finally arrested the spotters...
aTm2004
AG

suburban cowboy
AG
Ok so as mentioned earlier in the thread, I crossed the bridge at around 6:50 a.m. and did see a wreck. Thought that's all was going on.

They should have arrested them before they even repelled down. If this was in Chambers County that would have happened. Hell, even old Ed Emmett would have shut this **** down.

Lina Hidalgo is an absolute enemy to HC and Houston as we know it.

Ag_07
AG
SWAT officers repelling down to remove them one by one.

From what I caught on the news 2 officers per protester. Protester will be anchored to an officer, the line cut, and both will be lowered to a boat.

Gonna be awhile before they're all down but it's happening.
Cromagnum
AG
Would have been so much easier to bring a knife and cut the tops of the lines real quick. Scoop them up with a boat patrol.
Chewy
AG
Ag_07 said:

From what I caught on the news 2 officers per protester. Protester will be anchored to an officer, the line cut, and both will be lowered to a boat.

Is this for real??? If so that's awesome. I bet those SWAT officers are pumped. They live for stuff like this.

I love they didn't give in to their 24 hour protest and arrest them "peacefully".
Jock 07
AG
Ag_07 said:

Hopefully they accidentally slam into them with a night stick or a forearm hard enough to dislodge some teeth
TXAG 05
AG
Cromagnum said:

Would have been so much easier to bring a knife and cut the tops of the lines real quick. Scoop them up with a boat patrol.

Except they would all probably die
sixbarag
Sponsor
AG
Then we wouldn't have to worry about them doing this stupid **** again somewhere else.
Cromagnum
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

Cromagnum said:

TXTransplant
There is a book out called "Private Empire: ExxonMobil and American Power" that describes a stunt similar to this that Greenpeace pulled at the XOM headquarters in Dallas. Shorty thereafter, Greenpeace was investigated by the IRS. Actions do have consequences.
schmellba99
AG
suburban cowboy said:

Ok so as mentioned earlier in the thread, I crossed the bridge at around 6:50 a.m. and did see a wreck. Thought that's all was going on.

They should have arrested them before they even repelled down. If this was in Chambers County that would have happened. Hell, even old Ed Emmett would have shut this **** down.

Lina Hidalgo is an absolute enemy to HC and Houston as we know it.

Wasn't just Hildalgo, the Harris County sheriff is just as guilty for aiding their protest through most of the day - including blocking off 2 lanes of traffic and not hauling their ass off the bridge.

And the idea that you had to put officer's lives at risk to haul the protesters up is stupid. I could have driven a 7.5t Drott there, hooked up to their rope and hauled them up without ever having to do more than slightly lean over the rail.
TXAG 05
AG
Cromagnum said:

Cstrickland05 said:

Cromagnum said:

I was concerned for the liability on the cops, not the welfare of the protesters. The gene pool would be better off without this group of winners.
Liquid Wrench
I scrolled thru r/houston to read some quality discussion about the good Greenpeace is doing by forcing us all to stop and think about our carbon footprints and the impending global annihilation. Because, without this kind of attention-whoring, no one ever would have heard of climate change.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.