Houston
Sponsored by

Pyramid scheme - beware while shopping at HEB or Target

31,297 Views | 147 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by htxag09
Bert315
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Outlaw0206 said:

There is a pretty large team in the west Houston/ Katy area that knows the ins/ outs of how to be successful with driving business to Amway. No I am not on it. ha But I do know a few people involved and they do pretty well. Not my cup of tea personally, but the team they work with seems to be pretty successful.

If you weren't aware, there are a thousands of these "teams" across the world all trying to find the best way to get the most profit from driving business to Amway.

So all and all, my guess is that all these encounters are by people trying to grow their team.

I know this group via some friends joining them. Had their 'mentor' tell our friends that because we wouldn't join or buy from them we were not really friends and they needed to focus only on folks willing to join them. I jokingly call Amway rent a friend because that's what it is. Watched that group ruin friendships and families over a period of time.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
The Milkman
AG
It's amazing to me that y'all think it's totally normal for strangers (let alone good looking women) to come up to you and start talking. Only after hearing what they say do you realize there's something odd about these people?
Diggity
AG
**** it
Motis B Totis
AG
Is anyone on Texags one of those people that walks around HEB talking to people?
HTXAG19
Had this happen to me at Kroger in Bryan by a wine sales guy of all people
Jasomania
AG
If anyone else has an odd fascination with MLM's and pyramid schemes like I do I'd suggest checking out the podcast The Dream. They really break down the history of MLM's / Pyramid schemes and the economics on how they are a scam.

The ones like Amway always surprise me for how long they have been around, the scam only works with lots of new people joining, losing their money, and getting out. So they constantly have to find new people to join. I always assume that eventually they'll run out of people but they just keep on keepin' on.
Texaggie7nine
Because PT Barnum was right.
7nine
Orozco05
HTXAG19 said:

Had this happen to me at Kroger in Bryan by a wine sales guy of all people

FYI that rep is no longer with company. Random fact.
Dr. Doctor
AG
There was a couple of good presentations (can find on the web) about Herbalife and how their profits/losses corresponded to moving to new markets.

As they were saturating the US, the profits fell (no new people), but then they moved to S. America/Latin America and it picked up. After a while, it will die down and then it'll be fun to watch.

~egon
Jack Cheese
AG
Jasomania said:

If anyone else has an odd fascination with MLM's and pyramid schemes like I do I'd suggest checking out the podcast The Dream. They really break down the history of MLM's / Pyramid schemes and the economics on how they are a scam.

The ones like Amway always surprise me for how long they have been around, the scam only works with lots of new people joining, losing their money, and getting out. So they constantly have to find new people to join. I always assume that eventually they'll run out of people but they just keep on keepin' on.

Just started this today. Thanks for the recommendation!
62strat
AG
If some random person was standing around in a store, clearly not shopping, and asked me 'did you go to A&M?' I'd say 'yeh, it was a Wednesday.' and then swiftly walk away.
combat wombat™
AG
Yeah, airpods and being antisocial for the win.
drumboy
AG
Just got a presale chat with Parker '15 but got out of there when he started talking about retiring at 30 and living off residuals. Dude was on point noticing my ring from a distance and I had no maroon on.

BH HEB near the fine meats.
abacavir
drumboy said:

Just got a presale chat with Parker '15 but got out of there when he started talking about retiring at 30 and living off residuals. Dude was on point noticing my ring from a distance and I had no maroon on.

Thankful you survived the ordeal. pooor you
drumboy
AG
abacavir said:

drumboy said:

Thankful you survived the ordeal. pooor you

Yep, just odd how the Ag MLM is focused around the BH HEB.
MemorialTXAg
Dr. Doctor said:

There was a couple of good presentations (can find on the web) about Herbalife and how their profits/losses corresponded to moving to new markets.

As they were saturating the US, the profits fell (no new people), but then they moved to S. America/Latin America and it picked up. After a while, it will die down and then it'll be fun to watch.

~egon

Herbalife is one of the worst. Idiot Bill ackman couldn't explain in 100 slides what an average college graduate could rip apart in 1.
ATM9000
AG
62strat said:

If some random person was standing around in a store, clearly not shopping, and asked me 'did you go to A&M?' I'd say 'yeh, it was a Wednesday.' and then swiftly walk away.

What a witty badass.
Wicked Good Ag
My friend who is half Korean and half white just gives all of these type of people his email

p h u q u d u d e@gmail.com

He told me they see the ph at the beginning and dont even question it

Edit for spacing
SECond2noneAgs
AG
Had a guy come up to me at HEB today, asked if I graduated from A&M. He was over dressed for HEB at 11 am on a Saturday, which I thought was strange. I told him I did and what year I graduated, and I asked if he went to A&M. He says no, he went to college for a year then fell in love with diesel mechanics. I'm thinking, then why the **** are you talking to me about A&M if you didn't even go to A&M. Anyways, he asks what I do for a living and I tell him, and his response is "oh, you must make a lot of money." I tell him that I do alright for myself. He then gets to his pitch, which is that he and his wife just started an internet marketing company, and if I'd like to make some extra money then I could just give him my phone number. I tell him no I'm good, and that was pretty much it. It was super awkward, and it's hard to believe that method of building up your multi level marketing network actually works, but it must work every now and then or they wouldn't keep doing it.
Sea Speed
AG
i cant think of anywhere more appropriate for internet marketing than the aisles of a grocery store
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Same thing happened to me, except it was in the produce aisle and he asked if I preferred cucumbers or eggplants. So weird.
Redstone
AG
We also buy Doterra on Amazon now .
Mostly the foam soap.
administrative errors
A&m friend hit me up awhile back. "Hey hadn't talked in awhile yadda yadda, was nice catching up but immedi as tell pitched this mentor bull**** ended up being away. Total waste of time.
TX scallywAG
AG
I refused a sit down with a guy I grew up playing football and baseball with a few years back... mind you, we're ~30 yrs old at the time so a solid 12 or so years removed.

He was involved in a pyramid scheme called Team National. I told him I didn't want to waste his time & didn't need a free steak. Somehow I was the jerk for being honest and considerate of his time.

I know there was an Aggie near the top of the regional pyramid. Sad honestly... they were targeting Aggies and wanting to make trips to Houston for "recruiting"...

I got told through one of his minions the guy made 300K the prior year. I told him to pass on... show me the W2 or 1099 showing that and I'm in.... *crickets* ... still waiting almost 4 years later...
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
mazag08
AG
administrative errors said:

A&m friend hit me up awhile back. "Hey hadn't talked in awhile yadda yadda, was nice catching up but immedi as tell pitched this mentor bull**** ended up being away. Total waste of time.
Was he from one of those college Libertarian groups?

Those guys were nuts.
chimpanzee
This is like the confluence of Amway, LinkedIn, and Shark Tank. Somewhere, just off Hillcroft, in a dingy 1br apartment shared with a stripper, that low mileage lease on an A-class Mercedes is one step closer to coming true with this proudly, but vaguely described "side hustle".
The Milkman
AG
62strat said:

I still don't get this joke
one MEEN Ag
AG
The thing is, there are people at the top who make ridiculous sums of money. The dirty secret is that they have been doing this for decades, and were allowed to move their whole 'downlines' to different companies initially to get sales off the ground.

Nobody is building a network large enough for you to skim 300k off the top in 2-3 years. Even with the parasitic dynamic that profits comes from your sales associates, not their customers.
Panama Red
AG
Quote:

The thing is, there are people at the top who make ridiculous sums of money.
Huh. Who knew?

one MEEN Ag
AG
Panama Red said:

Quote:

The thing is, there are people at the top who make ridiculous sums of money.
Huh. Who knew?

I set myself up for that. But one of the posters above me was demanding proof that someone way up their line made 300k. I believe em.
i is smart
AG
combat wombat said:

Yeah, airpods and being antisocial for the win.

These people will ignore the headphones now and approach you. Even over the ear ones. Going to the grocery store in crocs is the answer.
kubiak03
AG
its crazy people get into this stuff. If you look at the available info, which isn't a lot due to the MLM companies not releasing any actually relevant data, somewhere around 95% of those involved lose money.
TriAg2010
AG
On the topic of getting ambushed at big box stores, I'm done with the "air conditioning optimization service" bozos who camp out in the air filter aisle at Home Depot.
drumboy
AG
TriAg2010 said:

On the topic of getting ambushed at big box stores, I'm done with the "air conditioning optimization service" bozos who camp out in the air filter aisle at Home Depot.
WTF? AprilAire via Amazon Subscribe & Save FTW.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.