Houston
Sponsored by

energy ogre

29,973 Views | 178 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Chewy
IDaggie06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I signed up for enery ogre last month and they switched me to a new plan a couple week ago which is a one year term. My question is, what is the benefit of continuing to pay them $10/month for another 11 months when I am in contract with a new provider until then?
Truvada_for_prep
oh boy here we go. Also, what does Energy Ogre do that you can't do on your own search for deals?
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Truvada_for_prep said:

oh boy here we go. Also, what does Energy Ogre do that you can't do on your own search for deals?
the last two plans they put me in weren't advertised on Power to Choose, so.....?
BarryProfit
If you anticipate moving, I suppose it's best to wait until you have a bill at your new location to estimate potential savings?
KDubAg
AG
There are past threads about it on here, you'd have to search for it. My understanding is that even though you are "under contract" with a company, energy ogre will still switch you for a better rate even with the cost of cancellation being more than the new rate during the term. Did I say that right?

We have used energy ogre for years. Even paying the $10/month, we have saved hundreds in electricity. Yea, I can research and pick my own but I'm lazy. If I do it myself, I won't remember to look for a new provider when the contract expires and the next thing I know, the company already jacked up its rates.
Ag_07
AG
We pay the $10/month because I value the time it take me to do it to be more than $10/month.

Therefore, it's worth it for me to not have to do it.
SockDePot
Ag_07 said:

We pay the $10/month because I value the time it take me to do it to be more than $10/month.

Therefore, it's worth it for me to not have to do it.

This 100%.

Everyone who boasts they can do it without paying, doesn't value their time very much, and must be a lol poor.
Ag_07
AG
To be fair it may take someone else very little time.

I suck at this kinda stuff and I hate it because it takes me forever to comb through offers, estimate usages, and add compare projected costs.

Some people can blow through it easily. I'm not one of them. I rather pay someone the $10/month to do it for me and allocate my time elsewhere.
Madmarttigan
AG
I think companies are also posting more and more misleading rates on sites like Power to choose and I'm lazy so I signed up for it as well.
MAS444
AG
Been with them for several years and very happy with them. Everyone talks about how easy it is to do yourself but when the subject comes up, it always seems like I'm paying less.
IDaggie06
AG
I'm not questioning whether Energy Ogre is worth it to let them pick your provider as those electric rates can be confusing the way some companies try to manipulate the per kw charge.

I have a hard time understanding the value of Energy Ogre for the months you are under contract-especially if it is for a year. Why not just sign up a few weeks before your contract is up and then cancel a couple weeks after they sign you up for a contract (assuming it is 1 year)? or is that being an lol poor?
SJEAg
AG

Quote:

I have a hard time understanding the value of Energy Ogre for the months you are under contract-especially if it is for a year. Why not just sign up a few weeks before your contract is up and then cancel a couple weeks after they sign you up for a contract (assuming it is 1 year)? or is that being an lol poor?

As stated, the idea is that they may potentially break the contract for you if switching early and paying the penalty makes sense economically. That said, I've been with them for 3-4 years and that's never happened...has it for anyone else?

Energy Ogre is for the super lazy like me. I think people will do the pricing legwork themselves if they are going go through the effort of the the cancel/renew game (which I am guessing they'll catch on to after your first round). The hatred of signing up and cancelling crap is why most people use Energy Ogre.
htxag09
AG
In reality, you can probably cancel and resign up when it's close to 12 months.

In actuality, I just keep them. They say they keep shopping and will cancel your plan and switch you if it makes sense. Haven't done that for me so can't vouch if it's true. I also know I'd forget and end up paying at least a month at some higher rate. Plus they are saving me money so don't feel bad paying them the $100+.
SJEAg
AG

Quote:

I also know I'd forget and end up paying at least a month at some higher rate.

Yeah, that's a good point. It's a headache to time a switch perfectly and paying even one month outside of a contract is going to destroy a lot of savings.
T Durden
AG
They cancelled and switched me before a contract was up. They send a graphic and table explaining why. Like $100 cancellation fee and $X savings over the next 3-6 months...whatever your remaining term is...plus future savings.

It has worked well for me. I still call the cable/internet folks and whoever else to complain and get lower rates. But I'M glad to have ogre do power.
Truvada_for_prep
Ducks4brkfast said:

Truvada_for_prep said:

the last two plans they put me in weren't advertised on Power to Choose, so.....?
way more sites than power to choose you know?
IrishTxAggie
AG
I love when these threads pop up. Been a happy Energy Ogre user for three years now. Just got my bill and they've got me in a plan that has me at $0.07700/kWh avg.
Truvada_for_prep
T Durden said:

They cancelled and switched me before a contract was up. They send a graphic and table explaining why. Like $100 cancellation fee and $X savings over the next 3-6 months...whatever your remaining term is...plus future savings.

It has worked well for me. I still call the cable/internet folks and whoever else to complain and get lower rates. But I'M glad to have ogre do power.
They eat the cancellation fee or you do?
T Durden
AG
No but they don't switch you unless you can save a decent amount more than the cancellation fee.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Truvada_for_prep said:

Ducks4brkfast said:

Truvada_for_prep said:

way more sites than power to choose you know?
no i don't.

haven't had to shop for elect in several years now.
sts7049
AG
IDaggie06 said:

I'm not questioning whether Energy Ogre is worth it to let them pick your provider as those electric rates can be confusing the way some companies try to manipulate the per kw charge.

i suspect you might get away with that once. but the next time around you are probably going to get some difficulty signing back up once they see what you're doing.

i could be wrong though. never tried it.

besides, if they would have found you a better deal somewhere in that interim you lose out on paying less.
DartAg1970
AG
My question for those that use it, how do you have payments set up?

I saw on the website they recommend auto draft, but with utilities like electricity, water, etc. I like to view the amount before paying because I want to make sure I don't have some massive bill that was done in error or something before I see $500 just vanish from my account.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Here is the rundown for finding the best electricity plan:

Are you lazy and want someone else to do the legwork for you, while being content with saving money compared to the average joe? www.energyogre.com $10 a month for the service.

Are you interested in finding the cheapest electricity provider and willing do some legwork to make the lowest cost? www.texaspowerguide.com Its free.

Do you want to cut out the middle man on electricity costs, and are interested in usage data/schedule shifting heavy loads like pool pumps to save tons of money? www.gogriddy.com $10 a month for the service.

Are you interested in getting swindled on electricity or able to hit 500/1000/2000 kwh perfectly every month? www.powertochose.org
JYDog90
AG
I do Ogre because I have shown I suck at picking providers and plans. They have saved me tons of money and I'm happy to pay them.
KDubAg
AG
The auto draft is for energy ogre's $10/month. You'd still get a regular bill from the energy provider in the mail.
Absolute
AG
Feel free to use my promo code "Absolute" for one free month of EO. I have used for years and been really happy.
Bassmaster
AG
They need to figure out a way to handle people with credit freezes.
Absolute
AG
I have a freeze on mine and had no issue when it changed a couple months ago. They sent an email asking if I had a freeze. I said yes, but didn't have to do anything else.
Dill-Ag13
AG
TexasPowerGuide
Scantron882
AG
Look like texas power guide doesn't yet support TNMP areas hope they add them soon
2nd Generation Ag
Guys anytime you need information or need help with Energy Ogre please let me know. I work for the company. It's great to hear all of the positive responses . The first evolution of our company was to help the consumer find the lowest rate for their home. If we forecast the market rising in the future we lock you in for a longer contract to help you avoid higher prices when you come out in shorter term contracts. The market is on an upswing now and prices are esculating Now most of you also should be receiving Ogrecast. Now that we are managing your home we can predict your usage and spend for the coming 30 days. If you get off track we help you understand why.

. Now that we are larger the second evolution is developing rates that are below market. These are rates that you cannot get on your own. We are leveraging our consumer base and data to get lower prices. That is something individual consumers can't do alone.

The third evolution of our company is a year away and I can't tell you. But it's going to be cool

All this for a hamburger a month ($10)

Thank you for your business and support. Gigem
BarryProfit
2nd Generation Ag said:

Guys anytime you need information or need help with Energy Ogre please let me know. I work for the company. It's great to hear all of the positive responses . The first evolution of our company was to help the consumer find the lowest rate for their home. If we forecast the market rising in the future we lock you in for a longer contract to help you avoid higher prices when you come out in shorter term contracts. The market is on an upswing now and prices are esculating Now most of you also should be receiving Ogrecast. Now that we are managing your home we can predict your usage and spend for the coming 30 days. If you get off track we help you understand why.

. Now that we are larger the second evolution is developing rates that are below market. These are rates that you cannot get on your own. We are leveraging our consumer base and data to get lower prices. That is something individual consumers can't do alone.

The third evolution of our company is a year away and I can't tell you. But it's going to be cool

All this for a hamburger a month ($10)

Thank you for your business and support. Gigem

Thanks, is it best to wait a month in a new place before utilizing the service so you'll have a better idea of expected usage?
TMACsDaMan
2nd Generation Ag
Great question. We have a set of analytics that we we get from you when you move in that helps us make an educated decision on the plan that's best for you. Then once your in the home we begin interpreting your data
Towns03
AG
if you're going to sign up use this link:
www.energyogre.com/r/cru

they donate $2/month to Campus Crusade for Christ

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.