Houston
Sponsored by

ITC Deer Park

71,419 Views | 513 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by suburban cowboy
suburban cowboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jbeaman88 said:

suburban cowboy said:

I have confirmed this happened during butane injection. Pump failed causing butane to vaporize and starting the fire.
Any updates to the pump failure cause from page 1? An EH&S coworker who offices in a plant close by just told me she heard there may have also been an overfill situation.

The cause of the fire was not a tank overfill. My original information regarding pump seal failure was accurate.

What I have learned is that ITC's initial response and emergency preparedness (their ERT) was grossly incompetent. Specifically, how to respond to and fight a manifold fire and also related to lack of access to dry chemical suppression and foam.
lne2011
AG
suburban cowboy said:

jbeaman88 said:

suburban cowboy said:

I have confirmed this happened during butane injection. Pump failed causing butane to vaporize and starting the fire.
Any updates to the pump failure cause from page 1? An EH&S coworker who offices in a plant close by just told me she heard there may have also been an overfill situation.

The cause of the fire was not a tank overfill. My original information regarding pump seal failure was accurate.

What I have learned is that ITC's initial response and emergency preparedness (their ERT) was grossly incompetent. Specifically, how to respond to and fight a manifold fire and also related to lack of access to dry chemical suppression and foam.

ITC should be sued out the wazoo for their incompetence and pride.

When the fire first started they didn't spray the surrounding tanks to keep them cool, so the fire couldn't spread.

Fire spreads.

A response team of ~16 trucks come in from Baytown. You think ITC would welcome additional help and resources? Nope. Those trucks sat outside and went used.

Finally the guy from Louisiana shows up and the fires are out in 5 hours.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Having been involved in a number of incidents over the years, I think there was probably a specific plan being run. I think they were looking at a lot of different factors.

There was probably a good reason for it, but those 16 trucks were just left out of whatever plan they had.

BBRex
AG
Another shelter in place for LyondellBasell and GEO folks.
nonameag99
I am not sure if it was on the news but there were 4 fire trucks that got stuck in the mud inside the tank farm dike and were damaged/destroyed. Maybe the 16 that showed up couldn't reach then fire from outside the dike but I am not sure
The Aggie number specified has already been linked with another TexAgs account.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Yeah, my guess is there was probably a good reason for it.

It's entirely possible that they simply did not want to put more assets in a highly volatile situation.

Probably a drop in the bucket overall, but a half dozen destroyed fire vehicles, and you start to add up to some real money. Also you might need those vehicles later if **** starts to go really south on you.
suburban cowboy
AG
Those trucks weren't utilized because they didn't have water or foam to supply them with. Neither the connections nor the supply.

Stat Monitor Repairman
Well then. That sounds like our answer.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
One of the burned up trucks was Totals.
jbeaman88
AG
Incident updates HERE

20 miles of containment booms deployed
nonameag99
Things are starting to get back to work

nonameag99
suburban cowboy said:

jbeaman88 said:

suburban cowboy said:

Suburban Cowgirl still post dumb **** as usual
suburban cowboy
AG
Huh?
CDUB98
AG
Yes...

huh?
sts7049
AG
https://www.csb.gov/assets/1/6/itc_report_-_final_(july_6,_2023).pdf

final investigation report issued yesterday by the CSB.

Quote:

The incident occurred just after 10:00 a.m. on March 17, 2019, when an accidental release of butane-enriched naphtha product accumulated and ignited near a large aboveground atmospheric storage tank, known as Tank 80-8. The CSB found that a circulation pump connected to Tank 80-8 failed, allowing the butane-enriched naphtha product contained in the tank to escape. The Tank 80-8 circulation pump continued to operate as the butane-enriched naphtha product released from the failed pump for roughly 30 minutes before its flammable vapors ignited, causing a fire to erupt and engulf the Tank 80-8 piping manifold. Once the fire erupted, ITC was unable to isolate or stop the release.
As a result, the fire burned, intensified, and spread to the other 14 tanks located in the same containment area. The fire burned for three days until it finally was extinguished. The fire caused substantial property damage at the ITC Deer Park terminal, including the destruction of fifteen (15) 80,000-barrel aboveground atmospheric storage tanks and their contents. Because of benzene-related air quality concerns, a shelter-in-place was issued for the entire City of Deer Park at one point, and local schools and businesses either closed or operated under modified conditions. A portion of a major highway in the area also was closed. Additionally, the secondary containment wall surrounding the tank farm partially collapsed, allowing the mixture of released hydrocarbon products, firefighting foam, and contaminated water in the containment area to release into the surrounding waterways, resulting in the closure of a seven-mile stretch of the Houston Ship Channel adjacent to the ITC Deer Park terminal, as well as several waterfront parks in Harris County and the City of LaPorte, due to the contamination.
The CSB's final investigation report highlights the following five key safety issues:
  • Pump Mechanical Integrity. ITC did not have a formal mechanical integrity procedure to maintain the integrity of Tank-80-8 and its associated equipment, including the Tank 80-8 circulation pump.
  • Flammable Gas Detection System. Tank 80-8 was not equipped with a flammable gas detention system to warn personnel of a hazardous atmosphere resulting from loss of containment from the tank or its associated equipment.
  • Remotely Operated Emergency Isolation Valves. Tank 80-8 and other tanks in the tank farm were not equipped with remotely operated emergency isolation valves designed to mitigate process releases remotely from a safe location.
  • Tank Farm Design. Elements of the tank farm design, including tank spacing, subdivisions, engineering controls for pumps located inside the containment area, and drainage systems allowed the fire to spread to other tanks within the tank farm.
  • PSM and RMP Applicability. ITC did not apply a formal process safety management (PSM) program to Tank 80-8 because neither the OSHA PSM standard nor the EPA Risk Management Program (RMP) rule applied to the tank and its associated equipment due to exemptions contained in the regulations.
The CSB determined that the cause of the incident was the release of flammable butane-enriched naphtha vapor from the failed Tank 80-8 circulation pump, which accumulated in the area and ignited, resulting in a fire. Contributing to the severity of the incident were the absence of a flammable gas detection system to alert the operators to the flammable mixture before it ignited approximately 30 minutes after the release began, and the absence of remotely operated emergency isolation valves to safely secure the flammable liquids in Tank 80-8 and the surrounding tanks in the tank farm.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I am not reading the report, only the blurb pasted. It says all these different things were not present or not designed to handle the issue. What it doesn't state is whether these things are required by the regulations. If they were required to have the remote controlled valve and didn't, that is completely different from 'if they woulda had X, this all could have been avoided'. Shoddy journalism strikes again.
sts7049
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

I am not reading the report, only the blurb pasted. It says all these different things were not present or not designed to handle the issue. What it doesn't state is whether these things are required by the regulations. If they were required to have the remote controlled valve and didn't, that is completely different from 'if they woulda had X, this all could have been avoided'. Shoddy journalism strikes again.
the CSB is not "journalism". it is a govt entity, obviously, and they often make recommendations based on good practice as well as regulatory requirements. to have a pump seal fail and be capable of resulting in draining out a storage tank is just stupid and nowhere what most would call a "tolerable risk". simply meeting regulatory requirement is very often not good enough to manage risk properly.

the tank design and spacing aspect essentially acknowledged they followed industry standard (NFPA 30) but there was still more they could have done.

yes, many of the things ITC did not implement had partly to do with their justification of this not being an RMP process. however, they were implementing some items already (like gas detectors) for their RMP process equipment but not these tanks. from a hazard point of view, they really are one in the same. ITC also began installing condition monitoring devices since the event, so they clearly acknowledge there were many weak points in the design overall.
Dr. Doctor
AG

In my design experience, there is no federal law that explicity states "you must have X on a tank".

NOW, when you are designing the place, you'll do something called HAZOP (Hazard and Operability Analysis) once when you build it and once every 5 years (that's a law) and you go over "what if" scenarios. What happened here is 100% a scenario.

The reason they generally don't spell it out specifically is because maintaining containment of a fluid is Priority #1 because if not, exactly what happened above will happen. Then you get every Tom, Dick and Harry coming in looking at your place. And if you hurt someone, or someone thinks they are hurt, lawyers come. Once lawyers come, so does insurance. And the government.

So at the end of the day, fear is supposed to keep everyone in line. Fear of paying out millions of $$ for accidents. And paying the $30 to 50k for the valve to avoid the $500 million later.

~egon
maroon barchetta
I've read many CSB reports and watched their investigation summary videos. I would not classify them as "journalists".
maroon barchetta
Agreed.

I don't know if there are federal regs on what the CSB cited, but their might be requirements by the API or at least best practice recommendations.
sts7049
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Agreed.

I don't know if there are federal regs on what the CSB cited, but their might be requirements by the API or at least best practice recommendations.
a lot of what the CSB highlighted had to do with RMP, and the fact that this process was not covered. that may well be correct under the reg, but that is why they are recommending EPA to revise the reg.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
maroon barchetta said:

I've read many CSB reports and watched their investigation summary videos. I would not classify them as "journalists".

I thought it was an exert from an article about the report. My bad. Told yall I wasn't reading that.
maroon barchetta

maroon barchetta said:

I thought it was an exert from an article about the report. My bad. Told yall I wasn't reading that.

Username
suburban cowboy
AG
Findings and the 130 page investigation report are very underwhelming…

Listing not having PSM/RMP elements in place and then stating but, oh yeah, it doesn't apply is either really dumb or really pointed for an eventual court case to try and expand applicability to a broader range of products in tank storage terminals.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.