Houston
Sponsored by

ITC Deer Park

71,668 Views | 513 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by suburban cowboy
Towns03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
suburban cowboy said:

I have confirmed this happened during butane injection. Pump failed causing butane to vaporize and starting the fire.
oxygen?
CDUB98
AG
Towns03 said:

suburban cowboy said:

I have confirmed this happened during butane injection. Pump failed causing butane to vaporize and starting the fire.
oxygen?

Do what?
Boo Weekley
This air is nasty. Glad they were able to save a little money on the front end though. Seriously though what kinda of chemicals are we sucking into our lungs here? Should I rally all the Brenda's and Sharon's in the office and get a caravan going to North Texas or something?
K Bo
AG
Do you know any more details about the system by which ITC injects butane?
suburban cowboy
AG
K Bo said:

I don't know for certain but I will make the assumption that it's directly from truck/railcar/barge thru pipeline into the tank. Otherwise, if they stored it onsite in a vessel with greater than 10,000 lbs it would be a Process Safety Management (PSM) covered process and trigger both PSM/RMP.
K Bo
AG
Yeah, I was more wondering if it was injected through eductors, jets, a dedicated tank circulation system, etc and what pump it might have been that failed during butane injection that would cause ignition.
Ag_07
AG
suburban cowboy said:

K Bo said:

I don't know for certain but I will make the assumption that it's directly from truck/railcar/barge thru pipeline into the tank. Otherwise, if they stored it onsite in a vessel with greater than 10,000 lbs it would be a Process Safety Management (PSM) covered process and trigger both PSM/RMP.

I would imagine it still falls under PSM/RMP.

IIRC the vessel must be able to be attached to a mode of transportation (ie railcar or tanker truck) in order to avoid RMP regulation. These tanks don't meet that criteria so I would think they would fall under at least RMP regulation and most likely PSM regulation.
suburban cowboy
AG
No I can tell you 100% this was not a PSM or RMP covered process.
Ag_07
AG
That's interesting.

I don't know enough about PSM requirements, but I would've bet a lot of money that was an RMP facility.
suburban cowboy
AG
RMP is based on Threshold Quantity (TQ) of a certain chemical. So yes, they have PSM/RMP covered process onsite, but blending butane into naphtha (because of the process they use to do it ) is not one of them. Looks like they have VAM and 5-6 other RMP covered procceses though. I'd guess that's what's stored in those spheres, minus the VAM.

But other than a big plume of smoke and maybe some soot, what off-site impacts has this had, if any? An RMP covered chemical would kill and/or harm thousands of people both immediately and over time. If this is the cost of doing business and it happens once every 25-30 years I'm personally okay with that.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
A lady out here in Fulshear mentioned on Next Door she had planned all day backyard gardening activities that she's since had to cancel because of the smoke.

Texaggie7nine
Ducks4brkfast said:

A lady out here in Fulshear mentioned on Next Door she had planned all day backyard gardening activities that she's since had to cancel because of the smoke.

Did you offer her your T&P?
7nine
BearJew13
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

Really makes you think
Liquid Wrench
Ducks4brkfast said:

Ok, this has all been a fun academic discussion up till now. But now it's getting personal, and I think we should all take a moment to realize how serious this is.
CDUB98
AG
Social Media Influencer said:

Ducks4brkfast said:

Ok, this has all been a fun academic discussion up till now. But now it's getting personal, and I think we should all take a moment to realize how serious this is.

Ducks4brkfast
AG
Time to lawyer up!

This oak pollen... err.... smoke is really wreaking havoc on my sinuses!
sts7049
AG
having foam systems on the tanks seems like a no brainer, but if this tank farm has been around for some time it doesn't surprise me at all that nothing has been retrofitted. even the majors don't automatically jump to this conclusion, major retrofits can be debated for years and years (ALARP principle). this always happens until a major incident comes around like this to change the thinking.
sts7049
AG
also, i would expect a CSB investigation on this one, given the size and duration of the event
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
ITC's slogan:

every
action
counts
txags92
AG
Ferris Wheel Allstar said:

ITC's slogan:

every
action
counts
against
the
bottom
line

FIF them...

Marvin_Zindler
AG
sts7049 said:

also, i would expect a CSB investigation on this one, given the size and duration of the event

CSB's investigation findings videos are always interesting to watch. It's a great wormhole on YouTube.
Ragoo
AG
Out of town for work, any reports on how friendswood fared?

Much appreciated.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Word on the street is that Ed Emmets daughter has begun confiscating all the bleach from Friendswood and is attempting to air drop it on the fire.
RCR06
AG
One of my uncles worked at a small refinery in Oklahoma years ago. They had a tank fire. Local vfd decided to try and spray water on it. It was so hot that all the water immediately turned to steam. My uncle said it turned into a big mess.

My guess is that when it was one tank they decided to let it burn out(pretty common from what I've seen). Now that it has spread to six or more tanks they probably would have done things differently had they known what was going to happen.
suburban cowboy
AG
Foam began to turn to steam in this situation as well.
Liquid Wrench
Ragoo said:

Out of town for work, any reports on how friendswood fared?

Much appreciated.
BowSowy
AG
txags92 said:

Ferris Wheel Allstar said:

ITC's slogan:

every
action
counts
against
the
bottom
line

FIF them...

I'm not going to try and act like I know anything about ITC's safety or business practices, but my experience has been that most of these companies and refineries treat safety with the utmost importance. I'm sure there are some that just talk the talk, but most walk the talk.
txags92
AG
My experience is that they almost all talk the talk very well...but there are a lot for whom the talk gets real quiet when it comes time to pay for walking the walk.
txags92
AG
I will give one example...DuPont...world famous for their safety record and efforts. There is a reason for that... each plant has a safety bonus tied to no lost workdays. The level of shenanigans that go on to classify employee injuries as "restricted duty" instead of lost work day are ridiculous. Not the least of which is taking any position with any real risk and making it a contract position instead of an actual employee. I can remember going into the Beaumont plant in the 90s and seeing the signs proclaiming 20+ years without an employee lost work day...while the time from the most recent contractor lost work day was typically less than two weeks.
Jock 07
AG
I'm sure that we can all agree that we should be extremely thankful that we have such intelligent, competent county officials overseeing this effort.
nonameag99
not sure if you are ********** (**********=pro union) or non union

The Aggie number specified has already been linked with another TexAgs account.
txags92
AG
nonameag99 said:

not sure if you are ********** (**********=pro union) or non union

Absolutely anti-union. I had to work with those mother f ers in Michigan for almost 2 years, and you couldn't pay me to hire a union crew. My comments about contractors relative to DuPont wasn't to insinuate that contractors are somehow bad to have on the plant. It is just that for DuPont, contractors were a way to 1) reduced "fixed costs" by transitioning work to a contractor who is considered a "flexible cost", even though the contractor is there doing the same job for the same number of hours as the employee was and the plant can't be safely operated without them; and 2) a way for them to put the risky jobs outside of the "employee" pool to lower the chance that they won't get their safety incentive bonus.
Boo Weekley
Well it looks much worse this morning coming in from the west side, but maybe that is due to wind changes? Any updates?

Is "ah, f*** it, let's just let em burn and see what happens, don't want to cause a scare anyoone or spend too much money" really a legit disaster response strategy in this industry?
E
AG
Looks like the red lady birthed it, has the face of Stannis Baratheon
Ag_07
AG
It's a smoke plume that's 500+ ft in the air. What's the big deal?

I know it doesn't seem like it because all we see are the elected officials standing behind the podium and they're morons, but from my experience with the industry I would venture to say there are some smart, top notch people working this thing on the ground.

And I can guarantee it's not "ah. f*** it let it burn and see what happens"

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.