Houston
Sponsored by

Post Oak Little League

16,959 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Jack Pearson
chilimuybueno
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The hometown boys are playing for entry to LLWS!
buda91
AG
They crushed Arkansas tonight, 14-1 in 4 innings (run rule) and didn't use their best pitcher.

Sidenote: they're captives of the crappy LHN. I didn't know until tonight you can't watch LHN through ESPN app unless your cable package has LHN. So no online games for this xfinity dude. Any quick-fix tech advice to see the rest of the games online.

Next up is Saturday night against Mississippi.
buda91
AG
Also one of the POLL moms is an Aggie who had a sign at the game: Post Oak Little League, the best thing on the Longhorn Network!"
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
The only good thing about little league on tv is that it means it is almost football season.
Mustang1
AG
Wow so Post Oak won the 11 yr-old & 12-year old state titles this year. They got Jimbo over there recruiting?
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Mustang1 said:

Wow so Post Oak won the 11 yr-old & 12-year old state titles this year. They got Jimbo over there recruiting?

All that money in the area hiring professional coaches. Seriously. I know the two guys who make a living coaching those POLL kids, giving private lessons, running summer camps, and so on. Good dudes, both played collegiate baseball and in the minors as well.

Plus, while I'm sure a lot of these kids in this league play select baseball, this area puts a lot into the actual Little League and getting to Williamsport. From what I've seen the majority of kids who are pretty good baseball players from most of the rest of the Houston area are playing select and not Little League.
chilimuybueno
AG
I think the best pitcher's dad is an Aggie; Salvaggi?
Diggity
AG
Quote:

As talented as the group is, the players don't act like it. The boys have a quiet confidence about them. They never get too high or too low.

Sounds like Sumlins old teams (pre season)
sosolik
AG
This is one of the top select teams in the Houston area for their age group.
MAROON
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

Mustang1 said:

All that money in the area hiring professional coaches. Seriously. I know the two guys who make a living coaching those POLL kids, giving private lessons, running summer camps, and so on. Good dudes, both played collegiate baseball and in the minors as well.

Plus, while I'm sure a lot of these kids in this league play select baseball, this area puts a lot into the actual Little League and getting to Williamsport. From what I've seen the majority of kids who are pretty good baseball players from most of the rest of the Houston area are playing select and not Little League.
all those PO kids play select as well. That league and West U and Bellaire are good leagues because it's big social deal for the communities and the parents. So most of the good players in those areas play Little League and select.

PO is also right at the verge of having the # of players where Little League forces you to field two all star teams. West U has to do this, and First Colony did for years (but that league is dying due to the demographic changes in FC). But PO manage their numbers to prevent that from happening...
The Milkman
AG
sosolik said:

I'd venture to guess its THE top team
El Duke
Son is moving from SBMSA to POLL next year. Does all the Carter camps. Heard the games are a booze fest.

MAROON
AG
El Duke said:

Son is moving from SBMSA to POLL next year. Does all the Carter camps. Heard the games are a booze fest.

that is the reputation. Lots of Yeti's, Styros, and Solo cups at POLL games - it's basically an HCC annex..
sosolik
AG
The Milkman said:

sosolik said:

I'd venture to guess its THE top team
Definitely not but they are up there.
chilimuybueno
AG
I can confirm the booze-fest. At least it was when my son played.
MAS444
AG
Is there a team roster posted anywhere? I have some friends whose kids play in that league and I'm curious if they're on this squad.
buda91
AG
Known the Selvaggi boys since they were too young to swing a bat, and I do hope they pick TAMU. They'd like it and fit in well. Solid, solid kids. Their dad thinks TAMU is a great school, but he actually went to school in austin.
buda91
AG
Here's last nights box score and includes a roster:

https://gc.com/game-5b3aeb9d2814e100017a4a2a
LeftyAg89
AG
one of the top select baseball teams in the Houston area? uhhh, nah, I don't think so. LOL

Not even close. Big big big difference.
Diggity
AG
WGAF?
86 Tex Ag
AG
The best 12s teams in the greater Houston area for LL were Post Oak, Bellaire, Lamar, and Pearland. Any of those could have made a run at winning the Southwest region. But Ryan Selvaggi gives Post Oak the edge.
sosolik
AG
Lefty Ag '89 said:

one of the top select baseball teams in the Houston area? uhhh, nah, I don't think so. LOL

Not even close. Big big big difference.
They actually are for their age group (12U this past Spring). Do you know which team they are?
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Things have changed a lot since I played LL (the All Star team I was on lost in the LL state tourney).

Used to be there were no select teams but various LL (such as Post Oak, West U, Bellaire, and mine was Bryan North- we had Bryan West, Bryan East, Bonham, and CS had two leagues) had their "majors" division which was for 10, 11, and 12-year olds (though some kids turned 13 while the All Stars season was ongoing). We had league play and then the All Star team was selected by the coaches in the division. We played All Star teams from other leagues for the eventual path to Williamsport.

I suppose this could be called a "select" team as they select the best players from that league. But when I think select, I'm thinking of other clubs which do not compete under the aegis of the national LL organization. Most select teams don't play in a specific league but play tournaments and try to qualify for different championships.

I'm sure there's lots of kids who play both but this POLL team isn't what I think of when it comes to select clubs. I'm thinking of Dynasty from Kingwood, Banditos from Spring, or 12 from BCS. Different governing bodies with different rules.

So is this POLL team an All Star team made up of kids from different teams in the league or were they put together as a team of ringers from the jump?

Anyway, I've gotten a crash course on this stuff recently because my older son who just turned 8 wants to try out for Dynasty in the spring because of some rather poor experiences in the local league. I was pretty opposed to it at first but he's done the camps with Carter & Reagan at POLL but did the Rice camp this summer and the coaches recommended it as did a buddy of mine who pitched for Gus at tu.
sosolik
AG
Like all of the All Star teams that are still alive at this point, this is a select team of ringers that were already the "all star team"before the season even began.

Nothing wrong with this approach as every top all star team does the exact same thing.
FtBendTxAg
AG
I remember when First Colony used to put a good product out. Now that sugar land is basically little New Delhi/Litle Karachi the league is basically dissolved. Once a proud LL with a bunch of teams.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
FtBendTxAg said:

I remember when First Colony used to put a good product out. Now that sugar land is basically little New Delhi/Litle Karachi the league is basically dissolved. Once a proud LL with a bunch of teams.

They probably kick ass at cricket though.
chilimuybueno
AG
These kids are selected from their respective teams. Not a predetermined team, but they almost all have personal coaches and may play some select team ball.
sosolik
AG
chilimuybueno said:

These kids are selected from their respective teams. Not a predetermined team, but they almost all have personal coaches and may play some select team ball.

Wrong....they are a select team that plays LL at 12U so they can have this select team makeup their All-Star team. They all do it.
Jack Cheese
AG
Diggity said:

WGAF?

Maladjusted dads who live vicarious, overcompetitve lives costing literally tens of thousands of dollars per year on hyper-specialized kids sports so they can brag to their buddies in the Houstonian locker room.
buda91
AG
Jaded much? While I have some of the same concerns about youth sports, especially re my own kids, these are actually some pretty great kids and parents. If you spent some time with them I think they'd change your minds, last 2 posters. As for me, I'm not gonna defend or debate youth sports here, just enjoy some local kids having a great summer of baseball.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
sosolik said:

chilimuybueno said:

Wrong....they are a select team that plays LL at 12U so they can have this select team makeup their All-Star team. They all do it.

If these kids are on one team all LL season long and preordained to be the All Star team that's pretty BS IMHO.

Makes all the other teams in the league nothing more than cannon fodder and they don't really learn.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
buda91 said:

Jaded much? While I have some of the same concerns about youth sports, especially re my own kids, these are actually some pretty great kids and parents. If you spent some time with them I think they'd change your minds, last 2 posters. As for me, I'm not gonna defend or debate youth sports here, just enjoy some local kids having a great summer of baseball.

Yup.

I was adamantly opposed to my boys (one just turned 8 and the other will be 4 soon) playing select before jr high. But some poor experiences with the local league and discussing the matter with some people who's opinions I respect has altered that a bit.

That being said, there will be no year-round focus on a single sport for my boys until late HS if ever.

It's important to keep things in perspective but I strongly believe the life lessons found in team sports can be tremendously positive in adult life.
MAROON
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

sosolik said:

chilimuybueno said:

If these kids are on one team all LL season long and preordained to be the All Star team that's pretty BS IMHO.

Makes all the other teams in the league nothing more than cannon fodder and they don't really learn.

And that scenario is not what happened
Finn Maccumhail
AG
MAROON said:

Finn Maccumhail said:

sosolik said:

chilimuybueno said:

And that scenario is not what happened
Good to know. Because the scenario sosolisk described is BS.
chilimuybueno
AG
My kid played in this league. They play a full season on their various teams and are then selected. There is a "hat team" representing a larger group and a subset of those kids is the traveling team. In POLL it can get a bit political. This is not a year round select team. That's BS.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.