Houston
Sponsored by

2018 HCAD Values Are Out

20,639 Views | 175 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Bondag
dreyOO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
rononeill said:

No changes here-

Time to protest and make up some ground next year!

same approach here
Foamcows
AG
is it normal for a new home to come in under the sales price? They are about 40k less than the sales price? Also, if they have some of the specs of the house wrong is it worth correcting now or save it for future arguments? They list the house has having one more full bath than it does.
combat wombat™
AG
77041, didn't flood, up 10%
94chem
drumboy said:

Aggie09Derek said:

Yes...11% higher (bought in Sept of '17)

Easy. Take closing docs to informal and you should get selling price.

No. Submit online. Even easier.
E
AG

Market value stayed the same but Appraised went up $3k to be even with Market...
fire09
AG
77041, no change in market or appraised value. No flooding. Time to go protest and gain back some ground.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
77080 market value increase 8% all in the structure, no change to land value
MAS444
AG
Doesn't everyone protest every year? Why wouldn't you? I didn't think that was a novel approach.
randy828
AG
77040, no change, no flood.
redag06
In talking with friends and neighbors, very FEW people protest.
Betoisafurry
77080. Minor flooding in neighborhood.
Land up 11%, improvement down ~2%, overall up 2.5%.

Weird
TXTransplant
MAS444 said:

Doesn't everyone protest every year? Why wouldn't you? I didn't think that was a novel approach.

Serious question: if your house is valued at or less than what you paid and/or comparable to or less than recent sales (and other appraisals) in your immediate neighborhood, what is the basis for a protest? Especially if you live in an area of new/newer construction (where no one is doing any significant remodels). I'd love to get my value even lower, but I have zero evidence to submit that a lower appraisal is supported by any data.
chjoak
AG
No change (77433) after going to arbitration last year and getting $19k knocked off. Time to call the realtor and see if I can justify knocking it down some more this year.
SweaterVest
AG
77018. Protested 2017 and dropped my appraised/market value by $115k to match 2016 sales price. No change for 2018 market or appraised.
htxag09
AG
So, as i said mine went down 10%. Just did some digging and they dropped it to pretty much what I was protesting it should be last year even though they denied my protest. I was arguing based on HCAD's values of my neighbors but they completely ignored it and kept referring to recent sales.

I assume it's coincidence, but still find it odd....
chjoak
AG
TXTransplant said:

MAS444 said:

Serious question: if your house is valued at or less than what you paid and/or comparable to or less than recent sales (and other appraisals) in your immediate neighborhood, what is the basis for a protest? Especially if you live in an area of new/newer construction (where no one is doing any significant remodels). I'd love to get my value even lower, but I have zero evidence to submit that a lower appraisal is supported by any data.
I have my realtor pull comp sales for me every year and will typically atleast submit a protest. How hard I try depends on how well the comps align for me vs HCAD's supporting info. I've not had a situation/opportunity to protest with anything but sale comps to date. Been lucky to not have to argue damage, etc...
jamesf
AG
In Fort Bend County, they try to take the wind out of your sales by listing the market price of your home, then show how much lower the appraised value is with the 10% cap increase.
TXTransplant
chjoak said:

TXTransplant said:

MAS444 said:

I have my realtor pull comp sales for me every year and will typically atleast submit a protest. How hard I try depends on how well the comps align for me vs HCAD's supporting info. I've not had a situation/opportunity to protest with anything but sale comps to date. Been lucky to not have to argue damage, etc...

Yeah, I had my neighborhood realtor pull comps the last time I protested (in 2016). That's what I used to determine the value that I requested, and HCAD agreed.

Three houses on my street sold last year, and I'm pretty sure all three sold for at or more than what mine is assessed for on a price per square foot basis. Seems like I would be pushing my luck with HCAD if I protested.

Definitely have some neighbors whose houses are assessed ridiculously high, though.
Quantum ace
AG
77079. They pegged the purchase price from July, which was a 12% increase in market and 33% increase in appraised.

Not sure how to protest "Its not worth as much as we paid, P.S. please don't tell our bank."
bigjag19
AG
Just filed my iSettle. We shall see. Trying to reduce by 14k.
BillYeoman
77041. No flooding and no change.
Diggity
AG
They dropped my values by about 5% in 77096.

Fallout from the area flooding. I won't argue.
Dan Scott
AG
77056 Up 10% again
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Seems like a lot of 77079 didn't change at all...granted a lot of it took on water.
jmac98
AG
Luckily no change in the 77030.

If you don't know what you're doing, do it quickly.
K Bo
AG
77057, didn't flood, up 10% on appraisal value. 0% increase in market land value and 71% increase in market improvement value. LOL.
Diggity
AG
the angry "up 10% again" comments are easily my favorites every year.
CDUB98
AG
Diggity said:

Care to explain why?
Martin Q. Blank
CDUB98 said:

Diggity said:

Care to explain why?
Likely because they are looking at their appraised/taxed value (set by Texas law, not HCAD), not the market value HCAD sets.
Diggity
AG
pretty much.

I've no doubt that HCAD occasionally raises market value 10%, but every year you have a ton of people that act surprised that their appraised value goes up 10% until it catches up to market value.
K Bo
AG
in my case, HCAD's market value is laughable
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Diggity said:

pretty much.

I've no doubt that HCAD occasionally raises market value 10%, but every year you have a ton of people that act surprised that their appraised value goes up 10% until it catches up to market value.
This. Although, criticism of HCAD's arbitrary market valuation (which results in the annual 10% appraisal increase) is ABSOLUTELY fair.
Dan Scott
AG
Market value up 10% this year. My value almost double a few year back so get 10% catchup every year. This was going to be the last year but they taised market 10%
Larry S Ross
AG
77429 still pending. I didn't flood but approx 1/3 of neighborhood did.
AgMarauder04
AG
chjoak said:

No change (77433) after going to arbitration last year and getting $19k knocked off. Time to call the realtor and see if I can justify knocking it down some more this year.
Same. Not sure if will protest, but considering.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.