Houston
Sponsored by

Coup happeing over at 790 to get Innes fired

20,550 Views | 105 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BoxingAg84
BoxingAg84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I wonder why there's such a fascination in hiring transplants who aren't from here? Most of the on-air talent on all of our sports stations did not grow up here and don't understand the pulse of the city. You'll rarely see that in other major markets.
Ag_07
AG
BoxingAg84 said:

I wonder why there's such a fascination in hiring transplants who aren't from here? Most of the on-air talent on all of our sports stations did not grow up here and don't understand the pulse of the city. You'll rarely see that in other major markets.

Maybe because you're severely limiting the pool of talent if you only hire people from Houston.

Have you ever heard of any company only hiring people from that city?

Plus the typical Houston sports fan is a moron.
Coog97
I miss Mike Edmonds and Anita Martini.
JSKolache
AG
AM radio!!!
FtBendTxAg
AG
BohunkAg said:

FWIW, Clanton hates everyone. He shat on Matt Thomas constantly when he and Zierlein were together, he shat on Zierlein after the two were split up. He comes off as kind of a bitter d-uche. Not at all siding with Innes, but man Clanton may end up the one getting run when all is said and done.

Clanton is the one that needs to be run. He is the biggiest duche on planet earth. IRL 10x worse than his radio persona. He literally tattles on coworkers and gossips like a two bit teenage *****.
FtBendTxAg
AG
That, and there isn't any reason to trust somebody that refuses to drink alcohol for anything other than health reasons.
MelvinUdall
FtBendTxAg said:

BohunkAg said:

FWIW, Clanton hates everyone. He shat on Matt Thomas constantly when he and Zierlein were together, he shat on Zierlein after the two were split up. He comes off as kind of a bitter d-uche. Not at all siding with Innes, but man Clanton may end up the one getting run when all is said and done.

Clanton is the one that needs to be run. He is the biggiest duche on planet earth. IRL 10x worse than his radio persona. He literally tattles on coworkers and gossips like a two bit teenage *****.

He also cheated on his wife, so there's that.
cheezag03
AG
Dr. Horrible said:

I don't think I've listened to a single minute of Houston sports radio since LZ left.
If I was a Houston sports talk station I would tell LZ that I would set up a booth in his house at our expense to entice him for 6-9 AM. Also just give him some flex times where if he can't make it , we just go off-air.
Ag_07
AG
I don't think it's just the time issue with Lance.

I think he wants to go the podcast route because it lets him talk about what he wants, when he wants, and how he wants.

I got the sense he wants more freedom to touch on more topics (both sports related and other) and local radio just doesn't allow for that. Podcasts give a lot more freedom and allow him to also do his NFL stuff.

Win-Win for him
Texaggie7nine
I think Adam is the only one with the issue.

Braddock and Jones called into Joshs show this morning and seem pretty cool with him.
7nine
Liquid Wrench
FtBendTxAg said:

That, and there isn't any reason to trust somebody that refuses to drink alcohol for anything other than health reasons.
Farmer1906
AG
I don't listen to a lot of Innes, but on Road Rage callers always call in take shots at Clanton.
kelkel25
Didn't Sean Jones steal a bunch of money in a Ponzi scheme back in the 90's?
MelvinUdall
kelkel25 said:

Didn't Sean Jones steal a bunch of money in a Ponzi scheme back in the 90's?

Yes, he is a punk.
Coog97
He also worked as an agent for a few years and ended up getting banned from representing players by the NFLPA.
Ag_07
AG
From his wiki. Sounds like a shady ass dude

Quote:

In December 2003, arbitrator Roger Kaplan ruled that Jones violated National Football League Players Association regulations in his financial dealings with NFL player Ebenezer Ekuban. Jones received a two-year suspension, prohibiting him from representing NFL players until February 26, 2005. Jones later sued Ekuban and his attorney for slander and libel leading to Ekuban declaring bankruptcy in 2003. Former player Cris Dishman won a US$396,000 judgment against Jones involving a bad investment. Jones later counter sued Cris Dishman and his former wife Karen Dishman, the previous matter was declared settled and Jones received a money judgment against both Cris and Karen Dishman in 2006 for their part in illegally trying to extort more money from Jones.

On June 14, 2007, he was arrested by the FBI on charges of mortgage fraud in a 42 million dollar scheme to rip off three Houston area banks. Bond was set at $100,000. Trial date was set for August 6, 2007. In May 2008 charges were dismissed by the Government.

Buck O Five
AG
Ags #1 said:

I don't listen to any sports radio at all. All I do is watch sports so I could give a **** less what any talking heads national or local have to say about the teams I support.

Sports used to be an escape from the drama of day to day life. 24 hour media and men behind microphones have made more gossip and speculation out of it than a ladies bunco night.
Mack Brown on a Mobile
AG
Totally disagree! Charlie is the best! You must not have listened much.
runontexas
AG
Have you ever listened to Innes? Dude is the best in Houston. We're lucky he left Philly.
MathNewman06
AG
Right on cue.
Liquid Wrench
Buck O Five said:

Ags #1 said:

I don't listen to any sports radio at all. All I do is watch sports so I could give a **** less what any talking heads national or local have to say about the teams I support.

Sports used to be an escape from the drama of day to day life. 24 hour media and men behind microphones have made more gossip and speculation out of it than a ladies bunco night.
It's amazing how much of sports talk today is just gossip about behind the scenes stuff and personal lives. I could not care less about who's getting along in the locker room or if they live with their baby mamas. Way too much of middle aged dads talking about how they woulda handled such-and-such back in the day when they roamed the Dairy Queen parking lot in their letter jackets.
Bassmaster
AG
Sean Jones is the worst. I've never heard anyone that loves to talk about themselves as much as this guy. He knows it all.
CDUB98
AG
Bassmaster said:

Sean Jones is the worst. I've never heard anyone that loves to talk about themselves as much as this guy. He knows it all.

Ever listen to a Bill Walton broadcast?
Ducks4brkfast
AG
MathNewman06 said:

Right on cue.
Is right on cue really 3 days after the OP?

I would have thought right on cue would have been, like, the 2nd post?
Bassmaster
AG
Yes, and Sean Jones is 100x worse.
TXAGBQ76
AG
I quit listening to Palilo after his tasteless comments the day after Bonfire fell. I wrote a lengthy scathing letter to the station manager- who apparently forced P to write me an apology letter. P's letter was typed on paper that looked and felt like paper towels you would find in a public restroom from a typewriter with a ten year old ribbon on it.
Liquid Wrench
Glad I was in College Station and not listening to the radio in Houston that day.
TXAGBQ76
AG
Yep, wish I had been also.
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
What'd he say?
Liquid Wrench
It was Charlie, so you know the word "idiotic" was used.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Palillo is a carpetbagger. Went to school at Syracuse. Tennis and hockey guy. Been in Houston for a long time. He was around for most all of Houston sports worth remembering. He's got some interesting thoughts having live through the history with the Oilers, Rockets teams etc.

That said, he lacks a certain perspective that you can only get by having grown up here. When I hear him talk as if the Houston market could support an NHL team, it confirms that he just doesn't get Houston 100%.

I use to listen daily. He had some good perspective, but he's often drift into the typical out of towner that doesn't understand the local culture.

If 790 wanted ratings, they should have kept Charlie under contract, then one day have him show up in the booth with Josh Innes and say, hey bud, mgmt sent me to be your new co-host.

Charlie's too proud to do something like that but a Charlie / Josh combo would be awesome.

Finally, Clanton and the raceterbater's show sucks. They at least should have kept Charlie on hand had him overlap with Josh for and hour or two. I'd listen.
E
AG
Well who are the home grown announcers on 790? Is it just Clanton?
cheezag03
AG
E said:

LZ was the closest thing we had. I forget if he was homegrown since his dad was an NFL coach, but he had been here a while and seemed to have a good grasp of the culcha
MelvinUdall
cheezag03 said:

E said:

LZ was the closest thing we had. I forget if he was homegrown since his dad was an NFL coach, but he had been here a while and seemed to have a good grasp of the culcha

He was, his dad was a coach at UH I believe and he went to Lamar Consolidated HS.
Ag_07
AG
Rich Lord has been here a long time

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.