Houston
Sponsored by

HCAD 2017

39,535 Views | 304 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Goodest Poster
AgLA06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks, will do.
airboatag
Meyerland/Maplewood finally went from pending to appraised. Can't wait for Jubally to get the data and run a report!
Dr. Doctor
AG
Mr. McGibblets said:

DL the Harris County Appraisal District App. On the main page it says Lookup iFile Number. Follow the steps and boom. You done.
What is the name of the app? I searched on google for it (android phone) and I only found one for $11.

~egon
slavy06
AG
Not sure on availability on Android but I know on my iPhone the app is called "Harris County Appraisal District".
aTm_bomb
AG
Cru,

The form that Jubally sends to submit for protest (50-132) is a different form from what HCAD shows in their website (41-44). Is there a reason for that? My concern that they would pause at the form Jubally provides. I am happy to fill out the form from the HCAD website but hoping to get some clarity. I know the information is effectively the same.
JJxvi
AG
50-132 is the form prescribed by the Texas Comptroller. HCAD has their own form, but the state form is valid.

https://comptroller.texas.gov/forms/50-132.pdf

schmendeler
AG
just submitted my protest and got my jubally report. here's hoping the dunces at HCAD and the "independent" appraisal board have a shred of honesty this year.
aTm_bomb
AG
Thanks, that's exactly what I was wondering.
cajunaggie08
AG
schmendeler said:

just submitted my protest and got my jubally report. here's hoping the dunces at HCAD and the "independent" appraisal board have a shred of honesty this year.
schmendeler
AG
exactly!
Cru
S
Jj nailed it. Easier for us to automate across counties if we use the state form.
bullard21k
AG
Built my home and moved in may 2016 in 77007. Last year appraisal was reasonable but this year appraisal and market value went up nearly 21%.

Filed my homestead exemption this year so I'm hiring someone to protest my taxes as this is obviously a very important year on tax protest for me.

What is a reseonable fee I can expect to pay one of these companies to protest on my behalf? 40-50% of tax savings?
TX_AG
AG
Need some advice on protesting options other than Jubally...when I type in my information, here is what they say:

It looks like your property is a little unusual, but we're working toward being able to help you next year. For this year, we recommend you locating someone who can represent you and your distinct property. If you need a recommendation, please contact us and we will be glad to provide you one.

I reached out to Jubally for recommendations and it has been radio silence. Has anyone had success with other protesting firms?

We live in 77009 and our appraised value went up over 15% this year despite purchasing the house in Dec. 2015.
Cru
S
TX_AG said:

Need some advice on protesting options other than Jubally...when I type in my information, here is what they say:

It looks like your property is a little unusual, but we're working toward being able to help you next year. For this year, we recommend you locating someone who can represent you and your distinct property. If you need a recommendation, please contact us and we will be glad to provide you one.

I reached out to Jubally for recommendations and it has been radio silence. Has anyone had success with other protesting firms?

We live in 77009 and our appraised value went up over 15% this year despite purchasing the house in Dec. 2015.
In the past, we've recommended other firms when we couldn't help. Sometimes those firms helped, sometimes they didn't. When they didn't, we were blamed for giving a bad recommendation. You know, somehow that is our fault. So, we're playing it safe now.

That said, we do need to change that messaging.

Please send us another request, and provide an ATTN: to Texags Support. I'll provide you a recommendation once I get it, but no holding it against me!
TX_AG
AG
Cru - sent you a note this morning, thanks in advance
Andyzipp
AG
I used Jubally and iSettle (before reading Jubally's tips...my bad) to protest this year. With the comp packet that Jubally put together, I was able to get both my appraised and market value reduced by more that 76,000.

Thanks Cru!
AlaskanAg08
AG
77007- unchanged. Market and Appraised are equal. I still contested and successfully got them down $36,206. Got the iSettle notification this morning.
David_Puddy
AG
Got mine today and did the isettle. ~30k reduction in market/appraised value. Thanks to my boy Diggity for the comps.
AgLA06
AG
If my Market Value and Appraised Value are the exact same, does it do any good to protest?
Bondag
AG
AgLA06 said:

If my Market Value and Appraised Value are the exact same, does it do any good to protest?

Yes. Always protest.
AgLA06
AG
Yah, I don't know what I was thinking.

Thanks.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
Anybody have any experience lowering their home's "Cond/Desir/Util" and "Physical Condition" ratings? Looking at the comps that sold last year and how they are appraised, I think my home has a much higher rating in those two categories which is inflating the value of my structure. I can provide photo evidence that my home is the same or worse than other comps that they have rated below mine in those categories but was curious if anyone has had any success going this route. TIA
Teddy Perkins
AG
It's just a matter of providing photographic evidence and quotes for repairs.
El Duke
Value went up 12.5% in 77055. They stated I did a remodel, which I did. I used iFile and told them I just painted the house and they were cray cray. I provided no other evidence. This was extremely lazy on my part, but I hate dealing with these people. They reduced my value by $50- something k. Not too shabby.

JJxvi
AG
BTW, something folks who are in gentrifying neighborhoods with new construction of multiple styles (like the Heights) should be aware of.

Yesterday, I came across something on another message board. Basically this was regarding a townhome in the Heights on a small 3000 SF lot. Basically the neighbors are all in a neighborhood 8305.1 which I believe is a neighborhood for new townhomes on smaller lots in that particular area, but the older remodeled homes on the original size lots (6600 or 10000 SF) are all in neighborhood 8305.06.

Well, that distinction in this case makes a huge difference, in this case the townhome is still coded as in neighborhood 8305.06 while most of the neighbors are 8305.1....So, all of the neighbors in identical 2003ish era townhomes are valued much lower. The land for 8305.06 is valued at $60/sf while 8305.1 are at $45/sf, and the improvement is valued at $100k more than the other townhomes of the same size, and I believe its all based on the neighborhood code. It certainly isnt based on the yr built, C/D/U, etc as those things are identical.

So...make sure your neighborhood code makes sense when compared to the rest of your neighbors.
sawemoffshort07
AG
No increase this year. Had my informal yesterday (77008). Got ~$7k knocked off, ie the Jubally number, in under 10 minutes.
BigPuma
AG
Im in Waller, but my neighborhood in old Katy is split Waller and Harris. I just looked up the other floor plans (there are only 4 in the hood) and the others are all in Harris. I was surprised that the highest was 90k more than mine and the lowest was only 8k higher. still that is more than an 80k difference for the floor plans one of which doesn't have the media room addition.
AgLA06
AG
Are you guys in the San Antonio area?
tlh3842
AG
Finally got around to the online protest this morning. I'm in 77095 and value jumped about 10k this year. I didn't protest last year, but Jubally shows value at about 11k that this year's statement.

Let's see what happens.
texagpilot
AG
Finally mailed my protest in yesterday. First time since I've bought home last year. Tax value increased quite a bit more than i paid for it.
So who has done the hearing? How does it work? Im buying the package from Jubally, just a little nervous that I will be able to convince them. Not a good public speaker. Any tips are appreciated.
AgLA06
AG
Buy the package and read all the instructions and tips. It explains everything and then some. You'll be fine.
drumboy
AG
texagpilot said:

Finally mailed my protest in yesterday. First time since I've bought home last year. Tax value increased quite a bit more than i paid for it.
So who has done the hearing? How does it work? Im buying the package from Jubally, just a little nervous that I will be able to convince them. Not a good public speaker. Any tips are appreciated.
We bought our house in May of 09 around $40K less than the appraised value and protested the next year. I just took my closing docs to the informal and they lowered it so the sale price.
slavy06
AG
When did you buy in 2016? Can you not just take your HUD as that shows true market value as opposed to a full Jubally assessment?
texagpilot
AG
Bought Feb 16. Jubally is stating comparable value lower than what I paid for it. Does HCAD have a way of knowing what I paid?
Bondag
AG
texagpilot said:

Bought Feb 16. Jubally is stating comparable value lower than what I paid for it. Does HCAD have a way of knowing what I paid?

Did you send them the post card telling them what you paid?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.