Houston
Sponsored by

HCAD 2017

39,490 Views | 304 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Goodest Poster
sawemoffshort07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
texagpilot, I am 3 of 4 in getting total reduction to Jubally number. The 4th (last year) I got 2/3 of my number. So its gone well.

Read the Jubally info on what to do/say. Your results will vary depending on who you get.
texagpilot
AG
Nope. They must think people are stupid.
TAM85
Wouldn't HCAD just ask you to show them your HUD-1 at the hearing?
Diggity
AG
seems like you could have just done the iFile protest. They have a service now where you can upload any supporting docs you have after you file. Your settlement statement should be more the sufficient.
stroodles
AG
I've filed my iFile protest with HCAD. I tried to use Jubally but got the "sorry can't help this year" message. Anyone willing to share some tips Jubally gives? This is my first year protesting in 9 years of owning a house.

Cru - is there a way for me to just buy the tips?

chjoak
AG
I got the sorry can't help message as well. I think it is because HCAD increased my CDU / Percent Good above everyone in my area and listed a 2010 remodeled date based on HAR pictures from when I bought the house. Crap part is that it is not justified. The prior owner replaced some builder grade flooring and counters on the 1st floor but didn't exactly use top grade material. We have since made some upgrades of our own but most of my neighbors have pricier upgrades without the increased HCAD ratings.

What kind of pics would I need to get stuff lowered?
Any kind of maintenance costs (roof replacement, AC replacement, etc...) factor into anything?
Post removed:
by user
JJxvi
AG
HCAD will know what you paid unless its a very rare circumstance. Even if they didn't know, they know that you bought it, and therefore are unlikely to agree to a settlement with you if you are hemming and hawing and wont tell them what you paid since, obviously that looks like you paid more.
Cru
S
third coast.. said:

No jubally in Galveston AGAIN?

They changed systems entirely this year. By the time we found out, it was too late to do anything about it.
TXTransplant
Question about the online protest process:

I successfully protested online last year, so my neighbor asked me to help her with a protest this year. I went through the recent sales with her and showed her the CAD value of other houses in the neighborhood, built a spreadsheet for her, and basically walked her through the online protest.

Well, HCAD sent her a notice that she had to appear in person today. She drove all the way down to the office on 290 from The Woodlands and was there long enough for the appraiser to ask her what she wanted her house valued for. She gave him the same number she submitted online, and he admitted he'd already reviewed the evidence she submitted and approved her request.

Now, she's happy she got the reduction, but why in the world wasn't this approved online? Why did the CAD force her to show up in person for what amounted to a 5 min meeting (where the appraiser already knew what his answer would be)? Are they forcing people to do this in the hopes they won't show up? If so, what's the point in having the online process at all? Is it random who gets selected to show up in person, or is there something that triggers it?
Dr. Venkman
AG
Did you click iSettle?
TXTransplant
Dr. Venkman said:

Did you click iSettle?

Those were the instructions I gave her. I wasn't watching her when she submitted her protest, though.
bjork
I've iSettled the past two years, but was rejected this year. I have an informal scheduled later this month. I thought iSettle replaced your informal. Why isn't everyone submitting iSettles if you still get an informal?
TXTransplant
bjork said:

I've iSettled the past two years, but was rejected this year. I have an informal scheduled later this month. I thought iSettle replaced your informal. Why isn't everyone submitting iSettles if you still get an informal?

I thought the same thing - that submitting iSettle waived your right to an informal, and if it's rejected, you go straight to formal.
Bondag
AG
I got straight to formal email today.
bjork
Bondag said:

I got straight to formal email today.
I would check your account on HCAD online. I got the same email, but I went to reschedule and noticed it was for an informal.
AgLA06
AG
How long does it take to get the notice?
tlh3842
AG
I just got an email with an Isettle offer for the exact amount I submitted, which dropped the value about 10k. I submitted the online protest form on 5/30. Super thankful.
AgLA06
AG
I still haven't received anything regarding a hearing and nothing shows up in my account. I sent an email through the contact us link. Maybe I'll hear something.

Towns03
AG
I completed the green protest form and put it in my outgoing maibox at work four days before it had to be postmarked. The next week on Tuesday our bookeeper mentioned that my letter is getting wet in the box and it wasn't picked up!

I missed the post-marked date for the protest because the mailman didn't bother to check my mailbox for three days (not including Sunday)!! is this insane?! Is there anything I can do?? I'm sure it made it to HCAD but it was late by a day or two...
bigjag19
AG
Dropped 13k using iSettle.
PeekingDuck
AG
Mine dropped about 20k using iSettle, not bad!
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I did iFile and gave them a value that was 40K less than their appraised value. iSettle came back with an updated appraisal 20K less. That was actually what I was after as a minimum, which puts my home the same value as the exact same house one street over is currently listed for. I didn't figure they would set it to that value had I simply asked for it, so I went pretty extreme. I accepted that new value.
JAggie2007
AG
Used iSettle the past 3 years and they've come down every time, now they want to schedule a hearing. Hopefully it will fall on my days off of my rotation or they could at least reschedule if I'm at work. Not pleased about this.
chjoak
AG
I tried iSettle. Requested a 18k drop based on a house 2 doors down that is a damned good comp that sold in Oct. for approx $5/sqft less than HCAD is valuing me. They rejected. Went to informal. Presented my documentation. Argued that the house down the street + 1-2 other sale comps that HCAD omitted were perfect examples that all supported my claim and that the 4 houses with pools (mine does not) that HCAD is trying to comp mine to are not good market value comps. Guy made stupid arguments of why I was wrong and offered me a half aced compromise. I am currently waiting for them to send me a date for the formal. I've gone to formal once before and it was incredibly easy. I have more documentation and a much better argument this go around.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Has anyone uploaded their Jubally report as part of the iSettle evidence? If so, did they reduce your value or reject your proposed amount?
PeekingDuck
AG
I didn't upload it, but did use some of the information in my argument. Didn't seem like they took it into account fully, but I didn't expect them to either.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Went in for my informal today. They dropped me approx 23K from my notice value and within $400 of where Jubally pegged me. No more than 10 minutes from the time I parked to the time I got back to my car.

Will definitely use Jubally again.
stroodles
AG
CRU - I just sent you a message through Jubally. I need someone quick who can help me protest my taxes.
AgLA06
AG
FYI.... For those like me inexperienced in this. I hadn't heard anything and nothing showed up on my account about a hearing date even though I mailed in my protest weeks ago.

I called today and they verified they had received it, but hadn't processed it yet. They will give a minimum of 14 days notice before a hearing.
texagpilot
AG
I didn't get any letter in mail or email about informal. Just checked my online acct with HCAD and it was on there. Have to reschedule.
Anyone have experience with informal this year? How did it go?

schmendeler
AG
Took my jubally packet and got $11k knocked off at my informal. I didn't care to push it so I took their offer.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
Took some pictures of my house and the houses they used as comps showing mine wasn't as nice and was able to get 18k knocked off bringing it down to the lowest comp adjusted value. Next year I'll have some repair bids and get my CDU knocked down to match my neighbors.
KW02
AG
Shout out to Jubally. In Ft Bend County was able to get my assessed/MV reduced. Did not have time to get there to do an informal before the deadline so just had to submit my information and did the online protest. They gave me an offer of $200 over Jubally numbers. Got about 9000 knocked off. Happily accepted. Thanks!!
htxag09
AG
**** HCAD. Complete waste of time. Basically looked at my report and said this was done by Jubally, a company that makes money on trying to get values lower than fair market value. Said jubally manipulates formulas in their favor to get lower values but wouldn't show me how so and which specific formulas. I was arguing based off HCAD set values for comparable properties and they just ignored it because they couldn't confirm HCAD's own values and went off sales comps.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.