Houston
Sponsored by

HCAD 2017

39,543 Views | 304 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Goodest Poster
E
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Went up full 10%
tylercsbn9
AG
MrJonMan said:

No change last year or this year, market and appraisal are the same

Lucky you.

Same zip code

3% last year; 8% this year. **** is getting ridiculous.
CDUB98
AG
E said:

Went up full 10%
HCAD has been killing our zip code the last few years.
Diggity
AG
they automatically raise the appraised value to market value (up to 10% a year if you have a homestead). People always act shocked by this, but it's the law.

If you think the market value is too high, then you should protest. I would be happy to help you with some comps. Jubally is a great service as well.

Andyzipp
AG
77018...no change.
TXTransplant
Diggity said:

they automatically raise the appraised value to market value (up to 10% a year if you have a homestead). People always act shocked by this, but it's the law.

If you think the market value is too high, then you should protest. I would be happy to help you with some comps. Jubally is a great service as well.

This is where I went wrong moving from Brazos Co to Harris. In Brazos, they don't have a "market value"; they have an appraised value and an assessed value. And in my experience as a homeowner there, those two values were always equal. And I never came close to a 10% increase in any given year. Both values started out at about 90% of my purchase price, and it wasn't until last year (2016) that the appraised/assessed values even exceeded what I paid for the house back in 2011 (and the house is still valued at maybe 85% of what it could likely sell for).

When I moved to Harris Co, I saw my market value and noted it was different from the appraised value. But since, at least for the first couple of years anyway, the appraised value was fair, I didn't know I should protest. It wasn't until last year when my appraised jumped to the crazy high market value that I got motivated to protest. If you're new to Harris Co, it's sometimes not obvious what your numbers really mean until you've lived here a couple of years (or read these threads, which really helped me figure it all out).

As a side note, I protested online via the HCAD website last year (using info from recent sales in my immediate 'hood) and got the value lowered to exactly what I requested. It was really easy.
jobu93
AG
no change for us in B'Land (this year) but I've been hit with 4 consecutive years of 10%.

I shall contest to see if I can win some money back. NO WHAMMIES!
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
spring branch: market up 18%, appraised up the full 10%. got screwed as an exact comp of my house directly behind me sold for more than my current market value. don't think i'll even bother protesting this year with that comp available to pull.
MAS444
AG
Quote:

appraised up the full 10%
Again...why is this notable? It's automatic.

And it sounds like you actually came out ahead in light of the recent comp.
Samuel E. Cronkowitz
AG
Echoing Diggity's comments, if you plan to protest this year give Jubally a shot. Great product.
Lupac
AG
No change in 77008.
Satellite of Love
Boned in 77035 by another 15%.
AgLiving06
Satellite of Love said:

Boned in 77035 by another 15%.

I'm surprised yours is showing up with a 77035 zip. I've got the same and I'm pending (and was until summer time last year).
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
MAS444 said:

Quote:

appraised up the full 10%
Again...why is this notable? It's automatic.

And it sounds like you actually came out ahead in light of the recent comp.

it's not notable,

i did come out ahead compared to the comp, just not compared to last year's taxes. I'm only annoyed because i have been pretty successful in recent years getting the value down (well below what i could likely sell it for) due to a lack of good comps.
idAg09
77065 same - happy I won't have to protest

77084 up 26% - no homestead on rental (protest every year)
Bondag
AG
idAg09 said:

77065 same - happy I won't have to protest

77084 up 26% - no homestead on rental (protest every year)
26% in 77084. Is that like $30?
AlaskanAg99
AG
No change for me. Bought in 2015 and it still hasn't caught up to what I paid for it. But big increases since 2013.
aggiecody06
Can I get someone input/feedback on exactly what all this means for me? Bought our house in May of last year 77073 area code. We filed for the homestead exemption beginning of this year which is now applied on hcad. It was appraised for 120k in 2016 and 140k this year. We bought house for 137,500. TIA on info
Martin Q. Blank
aggiecody06 said:

Can I get someone input/feedback on exactly what all this means for me? Bought our house in May of last year 77073 area code. We filed for the homestead exemption beginning of this year which is now applied on hcad. It was appraised for 120k in 2016 and 140k this year. We bought house for 137,500. TIA on info
If you do nothing, you will pay taxes on the 140k value. File protest and submit your HUD to reduce to 137.5k. Up to you whether or not it's worth the hassle. Your homestead exemption will not be applied to this year's taxes.
XpressAg09
AG
Quote:

No change last year or this year, market and appraisal are the same

Samesies.
texagpilot
AG
77079, my appraised value is $18,000 higher than I paid for house last February. Can i just protest with my sales price? Will that work?
FHKChE07
AG

Market up another 12% this year. Still $100k less than what the exact same house next door just sold for so I will not say anything. House has doubled in value in 5 years. It is crazy.
Martin Q. Blank
texagpilot said:

77079, my appraised value is $18,000 higher than I paid for house last February. Can i just protest with my sales price? Will that work?
80% chance yes.
Clavell
AG
Actually went down >5%. First time decreased since the 2009 drop. A little below 2015 appraisal now.

schmendeler
AG
market up 2.3%. appraised up 10% working to catch up.

i'll probably use jubally to protest again this year. but if it's the same pointless exercise as last year, I won't be doing it again. that was a terrible experience.
CDUB98
AG
Why was it a terrible experience?

I was thinking of using them.
schmendeler
AG
CDUB98 said:

the HCAD appraisal review panel made it a terrible experience. flat out ignored my evidence in favor of the evidence the HCAD employee presented. it was like I had just showed up and sat there quietly. I don't mean to say that jubally made it a terrible experience.
Unnecessary Deafness
AG
77007 - No Change
YellAg2004
AG
schmendeler said:

CDUB98 said:

the HCAD appraisal review panel made it a terrible experience. flat out ignored my evidence in favor of the evidence the HCAD employee presented. it was like I had just showed up and sat there quietly. I don't mean to say that jubally made it a terrible experience.
What I've learned over the past few years of protesting is that you have to reach a settlement at the informal stage because the ARB is a complete waste of time. They claim to be impartial, yet they sit in the same room with the HCAD rep for who knows how many hours/days. It's inevitable that some bias begins to form there. Then couple that with the fact that the 3 people (in my experience) have absolutely zero ability to follow an argument that is based on logic and math.

I've put together packets of information, estimates, pictures, etc. that support my desired value and blow the HCAD value out of the water. The HCAD rep then proceeds to say 2-3 sentences that don't refute anything I said. Then one person from the board just pulls a number out of their ass that's about $5k lower than HCAD's number with no basis in anything HCAD or I presented.

The people I've had at the informal hearing have been much more willing to look at my evidence and listen to my argument with the goal of coming to an agreement. The times I've had to go to the ARB were because I forgot pictures of certain parts related to my argument and/or I wasn't satisfied with the informal offer (only to have the ARB assign a value $50k higher). So I've learned my lesson to not let things get past the informal.
CDUB98
AG
The only time I ever protested, back when I owned my own townhome, the person at the informal hearing didn't want to listen to me at all.

I had $/sq ft of every home in my complex (small). I had pictures of my place, which was a disaster at the time, and pictures of the next door neighbor's place which was renovated.

None of it mattered. He wanted to value my place as the highest $/sq ft in the complex.

He only relented when I showed him how much I paid for it the year before. If it weren't for that, HCAD was about to shove a 20 foot poll straight up my ass and tell me to enjoy it.

**** HCAD!!
Bondag
AG
4 years ago I settled in informal with Jubally.
3 years ago I went to informal with same paperwork and he wouldn't even discuss it with me so I went to ARB and was able to get it down to lower than I asked for in informal. (additional data had come in and lowered some of the comps)
2 years ago I didn't bother fighting. Had intentions, but life got in the way.
Last year used Jubally number on e protest and they accepted it. Then I got an email saying they weren't supposed to accept it and I could still go to my informal. NOPE.

It is a crapshoot on who you get and what side of the bed they work up on that day.
Diggity
AG
It's not always a waste of time.

I was able to get them to change my "Cost & Design" factor reduced from "Total" to "Extensive". If you dive deep into how they arrive at their final values, this small change in their view of the level of remodeling on your home makes a huge difference in your market value.

I walked out of the ARB meeting frustrated because they didn't touch my price that year, but it's saved me quite a bit of money over the past few years, and will continue to do so.
E
AG

Just looked again, my HCAD market value didn't change this year but the appraised went up full 10%. My new appraised is about $4k less then HCAD market value.

Does HCAD take total bedroom into account? It says mines a 3/1 but it's really a 2/1. Don't know if that will help lower the appraised value.
sbs
AG

No change, but I still plan to protest
Martin Q. Blank
E said:

Just looked again, my HCAD market value didn't change this year but the appraised went up full 10%. My new appraised is about $4k less then HCAD market value.

Does HCAD take total bedroom into account? It says mines a 3/1 but it's really a 2/1. Don't know if that will help lower the appraised value.
Absolutely. Get that corrected.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.