Houston
Sponsored by

Just got road rage hit and runned on the Beltway

26,110 Views | 232 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
Illuminaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
quote:
It's used to light up your brake lights and warn the guy behind you he's too close. I didn't slam my brakes. I touched my brakes to put on the lights without decelerating.

LOL... 'warn' the guy. Bull***** Don't poindexter speak to make it sound like anything other than what it REALLY was about: flexing nuts/garnering some retribution on a tailgater. If you move your foot off the accelerator AND tap your break so the light comes on... you've decelerated. Warning the guy can be done with hand gestures (NOT the bird) or caution lights or even flashing your lights on and off a bunch. It's a way to go on the offensive against a tailgater and while I've not been to defensive driving in a long time, I can't remember brake checking being advocated as a way to handle tailgaters. You lost your mind for a minute on the road and turned the situation from one ******** doing ******** things to 2 ********s doing ******** things and subsequently increased the risk of all of those around you.

Warning the guy can be done with hand gestures - yes, waving hands can in no way be misconstrued, be easily seen through tinted/glared windows AND it's always best to not have both hands on the wheel in traffic. GOOD SUGGESTION!

caution lights - yes, take your eyes off the road and a hand off the wheel while in traffic to locate and push a button that usually isn't in the easiest spot to hit. EVEN BETTER SUGGESTION

even flashing your lights on and off a bunch - yes, flash your lights a bunch so the person in front of you now is distracted in traffic wondering WTF you are doing. BEST SUGGESTION

I'm amazed that someone would think these are reasonable enough to post and that people starred it. I tap my brakes all the time to let people behind my big ass truck (that they can't see around) know that there's traffic ahead. I've never had anyone flip out over that in 4 years of driving in Houston.

I guess I've been lucky enough not to have you behind me.

ETA: Just for curiosity's sake I did some searching while insomniac. I can't find a single reference that suggests any of your recommended solutions. In fact, they all state that tapping the brakes IS the method to use.

Furlock Bones
AG
driving back to Austin yesterday. left lane campers galore.

then, we got the added pleasure of idiots driving with their flashers on in the rain. FTMFL.
schmellba99
AG
This thread has turned into what amounts to two declawed kittens fightng one another. Jeezus, what a bunch of poons.

This is why the rest of the world wants to kill us. This thread right here is the epitome of pussified America.
62strat
AG
quote:

quote:
Tapping your brakes to warn someone off when there isn't anywhere to go isn't imprudent. It's telling someone to back off.
Simply not true. As shown by the video earlier in this thread where it contributed to a pretty bad accident that put lives at risk. In other instances, it has killed people.

Say what you will, but that car the wrecked in the video I posted?? I bet he's not gonna tailgate again. And I bet the car who tapped brakes honestly probably did not feel too good about what happened, and they won't brake check again.

I'd say that's an all around complete success.
FNG
quote:
This thread has turned into what amounts to two declawed kittens fightng one another. Jeezus, what a bunch of poons.

This is why the rest of the world wants to kill us. This thread right here is the epitome of pussified America.

The rest of the world wants to kill us because of Kanye and Kim.

A guy that talks over a drum beat or sampled music and is an "artist", and his wife, an attention hoor.
FNG
quote:
driving back to Austin yesterday. left lane campers galore.

then, we got the added pleasure of idiots driving with their flashers on in the rain. FTMFL.

People in Austin have not been able to drive for decades. That they can't handle rain "in the country" is no surprise.
MouthBQ98
AG
Not supposed to use flashers while moving. They are for stationary disabled vehicles. They interfere with your blinkers, so nobody can tell if you are going to turn or change lanes, which is an increased risk. The vehicles already have running lights which are adequate to increase visibility.
Olag00
AG
quote:
Not supposed to use flashers while moving. They are for stationary disabled vehicles. They interfere with your blinkers, so nobody can tell if you are going to turn or change lanes, which is an increased risk. The vehicles already have running lights which are adequate to increase visibility.
I believe the flashers go off when a blinker is on so only one is blinking (not sure if it is only newer vehicles or when they added this feature)...but houston drivers never use blinkers anyway
MouthBQ98
AG
Must be new, because none of mine do that.
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
quote:
I believe the flashers go off when a blinker is on so only one is blinking (not sure if it is only newer vehicles or when they added this feature)...but houston drivers never use blinkers anyway
I have a 2010 and it doesn't do this. I've never heard of cars doing this.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
quote:

The rest of the world wants to kill us because of Kanye and Kim.

A guy that talks over a drum beat or sampled music and is an "artist", and his wife, an attention hoor.
Them too, no doubt.
Furlock Bones
AG
quote:
quote:
not one of the many cars with flashers on changing lanes did anything but flash.
Olag00
AG
Yep, looks like it was either an idea I had and thought it came to fruition because my 2016 doesn't do it either. I may have gotten it mixed up with the daylight running lights, they turn off when the blinker turns on. I thought that was unusual and thought one of them was out when I could see the reflection in vehicle in front of me but turns out it is by design.
Furlock Bones
AG
Aw yes cars with led running lights often turn off when the blinker comes on to make the blinker visible.
Liquid Wrench
No problem, just use hand signals like Troll9000.
texsn95
AG
nicknaylor
Buck O Five
AG
Since this thread contains posters who are, for whatever reason, proud of their big old dinged up trucks, here is a quick PSA. Other vehicles on the road have cruise control, which allows a steady flow of traffic. If you initiate a pass at 85mph going downhill, and drop to 65mph on the uphill, you are clogging the left lane.
RK
AG
good call. super annoying tendency.
Diggity
AG
where are these "hills" you speak of?
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
where are these "hills" you speak of?
Overpasses
lb sand
AG
quote:
You don't want to use your blinkers around here. You give away your plan.
Buck O Five
AG
Hwy 6 between Heampstead and Navasota. I10 closer to San Antonio.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
quote:
Troof. I effed up and did this just yesterday. Got to watch 3 cars hit the accellerator to ensure I could not get in front of them so I could exit. Was awesome.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Troof. I effed up and did this just yesterday. Got to watch 3 cars hit the accellerator to ensure I could not get in front of them so I could exit. Was awesome.
Yep; you'll occasionally find an outlander who is actually aloof to the troof and lets you in.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.