Houston
Sponsored by

Best Greek/Mediterranean food?

10,125 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Frederick Palowaski
HBCanine08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mary's
Zabak's
Aggie09Derek
AG
quote:
Al Aseel on Richmond is currently my favorite in town. The location sucks, the service sucks, the ambiance sucks and the owners are Muslim so no alcohol but you won't find better Palestinian style chicken anywhere.

Better than Chicken Barg at Kasra?
Boiling Denim
Add another vote for Aladdins

Also tried Al's Quick Stop on UberEats and that was really good. Will def order again

Went to Niko Niko's recently and the prices have gotten insane. Must be trying to help fund the new restaraunt.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Alwadi off 1960/Veterans Memorial and their location near IAH is good.
Diggity
AG
It's the chain. I think they've renamed them to Vert's though.
Diggity
AG
lunch plans confirmed. Would you like to join us?
Stan Crowch
AG
quote:
lunch plans confirmed. Would you like to join us?
No I have to go to PT but you guys enjoy! Let me know what you think.
Stan Crowch
AG
quote:
quote:
Al Aseel on Richmond is currently my favorite in town. The location sucks, the service sucks, the ambiance sucks and the owners are Muslim so no alcohol but you won't find better Palestinian style chicken anywhere.

Better than Chicken Barg at Kasra?
I mean I guess in the same way that I like the tacos at Taqueria Laredo better than the Masala Dosa at Sri Balaji Bhavan.
notheranymore
Mezza Grille
Cafe Lily
InnerCityAg
Gyro King on OST.
AggieC07
AG
quote:
Gyro King on OST.
Also delicious!
Spore Ag
Helans is an upscale Greek restaurant in the Village. Was a J. Beard finalist for new restaurant. Can be confusing as a total Greek wine list.
AggieC07
AG
quote:
Helans is an upscale Greek restaurant in the Village. Was a J. Beard finalist for new restaurant. Can be confusing as a total Greek wine list.
I've been there but they only have pork gyros (I believe).

I'm a beef/lamb gyro guy.
Spore Ag
I do prefer the lamb gyros as well but did like the pork ones. Have had better meals at lunch.
The Milkman
AG
quote:
It's the chain. I think they've renamed them to Vert's though.
Yeah for some reason they have already changed their branding to Verts Mediterranean Grill.

That stuff is like crack though. I'm there about once a week.
Diggity
AG
they have expanded fast. The first one I knew of opened 2 or 3 years ago at the Yale Walmart strip center and now they have something like 30.

They probably just felt Verts was an easier name to market.
AgLA06
AG
I tried one the other day. Wasn't my cup of tea. It reminds me of an attempt to combine a healthy form of a gyro with the freebird's concept of stations. Everything was too lean and dry.

I had Fyza's Alwadi for lunch. Much tastier. I also like Kabob Korner for more traditional Indian / Pakistani food for a quick fix.
Stan Crowch
AG
quote:
they have expanded fast. The first one I knew of opened 2 or 3 years ago at the Yale Walmart strip center and now they have something like 30.

They probably just felt Verts was an easier name to market.
Food quality and concept seem to be good but the management leaves something to be desired. My last experience there was nothing short of baffling. I feel like their rapid expansion is a double edged sword.
swimmerbabe11
I havent ever had a bad experience at one. staff is always super nice and the places are always really clean.

but...I like the name Vertskebap way better. It makes it seem less chain-y

However, it is a really awesome change from normal fast food. Their fries are terribad though.
Stan Crowch
AG
quote:
I havent ever had a bad experience at one. staff is always super nice and the places are always really clean.

but...I like the name Vertskebap way better. It makes it seem less chain-y

However, it is a really awesome change from normal fast food. Their fries are terribad though.
Staff probably just wanted to put his gyro in your pita bread.
Diggity
AG
The one out in the Katy area had a nice staff. Don't remember much from the Yale location but that's probably a good thing.
Stan Crowch
AG
Just looked up their reviews on Glassdoor. Are all QSR employee reviews this bad or is this an abnormality?

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/VERTS-Mediterranean-Grill-Reviews-E692496.htm
The Milkman
AG
The Yale location is my usual go-to and they are always nice there. The one on Waugh/W Grey seems to be a bit worse... not sure what it is.

I ordered the fries once, but realized I didnt really want or need them by the end of the kebap. I'm always full from just that. Cheap, pretty healthy, and tasty.

Also their rewards app is pretty solid and they occasionally throw free money in there if I havent been in a while
Glish21
AG
Cafe Lily
Manny's Cafe
captainsimos
I have been to the OPA Greek Taverna twice and both times was very satisfied with the meals.
First time I ordered the Moussaka (Eggplant Lasagna) and it was great. The second time my wife and I got the Greek platter and split it. Plenty of food. This is worth the trip.
13203 Jones Rd, Houston just south of Grant Road.
ski-man
AG
Gyro's & Shiskabobs on Hwy 6 near Clay Rd. Small, family run and not glitzy, but I have been going to it since 1991 and he makes a great gyro & tzatziki sauce w/ fresh cut fries. Every time I come to Houston, I make a trip down there. In an older strip center and doesn't look like much from the outside, but good food.
Let's go ski-man!
jetch17
AG
Aboss
Cromagnum
AG
If you like Syrian food, Dumar's on Hwy 6 near Dulles is hard to beat.
byfLuger41
sts7049
AG
the falafel is where it's at.
NomadicAggie
AG
For the Humble/Atascocita/Kingwood types, I definitely recommend Savvas Greek Cuisine & Grill. It's fantastic.
PottsDW
AG
Simply Greek in Spring Branch is worth a try.

We get it to go once a week.

Gyros and hummus are their strengths.
Waffledynamics
AG
Went to Aladdin yesterday. Good stuff! Wow, they give you a lot of food!

Planning on going to either Fadis, Mary's Phoenicia, or Cafe Lily, as Mr. McGibblets suggested on the first page.
Aggie1391
Tried Gyro King after seeing on here. It was good, but I got insanely sick from it. So i'll stick to Aladdin's from now on
lb sand
AG
We went to Simply Greek for lunch on Saturday. Very good/very large pita wraps. Huge portion of fries can't mess with your basket. Same price for sweet potato or regular fries and they add feta at no extra charge.

We will be adding this place to our lunch rotation.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.