Houston
Sponsored by

Best Greek/Mediterranean food?

10,054 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Frederick Palowaski
AggieC07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I could see that, I'm a huge advocate of Gyro King (personally my top 3 in Houston) but it is in a trailer.....
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Fadi's and Alladin are run by members of the the same family but not the same owners. Fadi's Meyerland is actually run differently than the other locations since those guys split off. I think it's a lot better.
Fadi's Meyerland isn't even listed on their Locations page. This thread has me hungry for a pint of their hummus and all the pita bread that I can eat so I went to see if they had a location near Katy. No dice...

http://www.fadiscuisine.com/index.php/locations/

In Katy, the place next to the Target is good. Kabobs or something.

K-Bobs? I don't think they have a location in Katy.

swimmerbabe11
I have also been there.

More times than i'd like to admit.
agnatgas
AG
Re: I-10 Nikos

Waited 27 minutes for a gyro at 11;05 am. The place was almost empty when I ordered well before the lunch crowd. can't imagine how long the lunch crowd waited for their food.

ChipFTAC01
AG
We had one in my podunk town growing up. It was a regular in the rotation. Wouldn't actually mind checking one out for nostalgia's sake.
GoneGirl
AG
Mediterraneo Market & Cafe in Webster was good if you're over by NASA.

Different looking little shopping center too.
Jack Cheese
AG
My parents LOVED them some K-Bob's when I was growing up. I've probably had their chicken fried steak a hundred times. We even ate Thanksgiving dinner at K-Bob's in College Station before the t.u. game in like 1980.
lancevance
I must be the only one with this problem.

Does anyone else find Fadis really confusing? One side meat, two side meat, half sides, and all that? Then they give you so much food.
LeftyAg89
AG
Lance,
No you aren't the only one. I avoid that place as much as possible.
drumboy
AG
I thought it was hummus, 2 sides and a meat. Just as standard as Lubys, right, or are you saying there's a LuAnn?
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
I must be the only one with this problem.

Does anyone else find Fadis really confusing? One side meat, two side meat, half sides, and all that? Then they give you so much food.
Yes. Its a bit confusing.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
quote:
Al Aseel on Richmond is currently my favorite in town. The location sucks, the service sucks, the ambiance sucks and the owners are Muslim so no alcohol but you won't find better Palestinian style chicken anywhere.

Better than Chicken Barg at Kasra?

Kasra is so epicly awesome.

As for the topic at hand my vote goes to Aladin as tops.
Al Bula
AG
I heard from a dude that is Lebanese that that style of restaurant isn't more mainstream because the owners --- who can prepare great food --- don't know how to run it/present it to Americans.

But who knows?
swimmerbabe11
No matter how many times I go to Fadi's, I still end up panic ordering everything.

Last time I went with my church group and the vicar prayed, loudly since there were a lot of us there, and a Jewish guy came up and told him how beautiful his prayer was.

It was awkward cause the old guy comes up to us and puts his hand on the vicar's shoulder. *thick accent* "I just want you to know, I am Jewish" LONG PAUSE (oh no, he definitely mentioned Christ's body and blood)
"AND That was a beautiful prayer! God in the Heavens above loved your prayers. Be-a-u-tiful"

I love that place.
HtownAg92
AG
quote:
Sweet lord, the new Nikos at town & country licks BAD. I've always thought nikos was subpar any way, and perhaps it's still new opening flubs, but the gyro was ass, the hummus was ass, the greeksalad had no dressing, the souvlaki was undercooked

We still prefer yia yias for white people med/Greek with the kids,me and the lady are always looking to try other joints
I went yesterday and it was very slow. Food was pretty typical Niko. But, the place gets a plus because it was lousy with hot Energy Corridor and Memorial area beav.

Fadi's can be confushing but not if you think ahead. Go scope out the meats and see if you want that or something from the grill (kabob or schwarma) On the way back, check out the line and find 4 things you like. Then ask for half orders of those 4 things.

El Aseel is super weird but really, really good. We've gone for lunch at times and the place will be closed, but there will be dirty dishes and still burning cigs on the porch tables outside. Like the whole restaurant was sucked up by the Rapture. When it is open, go with a group and split a whole fried chicken and a whole Palestinian chicken.

Verts out here in Westchase has a really bad tendency to be out of meat at noon. Then they get really surprised when people walk in the door and want meat on their kabap.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Niko Niko's is arguably the most overrated place in Houston.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Anyone know why the Verts on W Gray closed a few months ago?
IrishTxAggie
AG
Dimassi's buffet because it's close, filling, and $14 for all you can eat baklava and honey cake.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Ate at Nikos 2 weeks ago b/c wife "heard" it was great. We both left disappointed. Will not bang (Nikos, for clarification) again.
TXAG 05
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

Anyone know why the Verts on W Gray closed a few months ago?

Saw that. Went there a couple weeks ago for lunch and it was empty
Frederick Palowaski
AG
Mr. McGibblets said:

Us Greeks/Lebanese only go 4 places.

Fadis
Mary's
Phoenicia
Cafe Lily

Honorable Mention

Hungrys

No love for Shawarma King?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.