Houston
Sponsored by

High-end Watches Locally?

1,784,977 Views | 14950 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by Quo Vadis?
nealan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Also, a little friendly advice, don't get into this hobby !!
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Seriously…I couldn't help myself, my bronze BB58 came in today. I know all the issues with bronze, but I just loved the way this looked compared to the steel version, especially on the black and gold NATO strap.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jh0400
AG
From a value standpoint, it's hard to beat the BB58.
aTm_bomb
AG
I have a bronze watch... what issues? The patina?
Diggity
AG
third rate
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Rapid patina development, easily scratched are the two main issues. Depending on the alloy, can also form a greenish crust and some people develop contact dermatitis with bronze.

This will be my daily watch, though, and I want it to look used, so I didn't mind the patina, and I don't mind the scratches. It also allowed me to get it MUCH cheaper than what I've seen elsewhere.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TheOC16
AG
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

Seriously…I couldn't help myself, my bronze BB58 came in today. I know all the issues with bronze, but I just loved the way this looked compared to the steel version, especially on the black and gold NATO strap.

It's a heck of a game day watch!

schmendeler
AG
Not a big bronze fan myself, but that looks really sharp
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Tudor does bronze so well (oris too). Great watch!
zgolfz85
AG
Since it's been a full day without a CW post, I'll start....they do an exceptional bronze:

https://www.christopherward.com/int/watches/C60-Pro-300-Bronze/C60-42ADC31B0KK0-VT1.html?currency=USD&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwwae1BhC_ARIsAK4JfrzVQD9-7bVjDXMwvLF1slV9azgDcQaiApsODTB3VgxSDY10RuvuRtsaAs0dEALw_wcB

https://www.christopherward.com/int/watches/C60-Pro-300-Bronze/C60-42ADC31B0BB0-HB.html?currency=USD&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwwae1BhC_ARIsAK4JfrwCioXOwJfTqQkQsbAWGF4Am5OV8OKarIE_64s-ux8IrlpDc1OsXDMaArD6EALw_wcB
slaughtr
AG
zgolfz85 said:

Since it's been a full day without a CW post, I'll start....they do an exceptional bronze:

https://www.christopherward.com/int/watches/C60-Pro-300-Bronze/C60-42ADC31B0KK0-VT1.html?currency=USD&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwwae1BhC_ARIsAK4JfrzVQD9-7bVjDXMwvLF1slV9azgDcQaiApsODTB3VgxSDY10RuvuRtsaAs0dEALw_wcB

https://www.christopherward.com/int/watches/C60-Pro-300-Bronze/C60-42ADC31B0BB0-HB.html?currency=USD&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwwae1BhC_ARIsAK4JfrwCioXOwJfTqQkQsbAWGF4Am5OV8OKarIE_64s-ux8IrlpDc1OsXDMaArD6EALw_wcB
I have the blue one. I don't wear it enough.
aTm_bomb
AG
Yea I have the CW Bronze Aquitaine and it's given me no issues. Patina'd nicely and is worn at least 50% of the time. Guess I'm lucky my skin doesn't react to bronze.

Stock Photo
Aggie Therapist
AG
TheOC16 said:

Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

It's a heck of a game day watch!

This whole time I've been thinking you are Class of '16

Wow
TheOC16
AG
Haha, I am, I took that photo with my grandpa's ring because believe it or not, his ring is actually in way better shape than mine.

He lost his a long time ago and then replaced it - actually, I got my ring the same day he got his replacement. He rarely wears his and I never take mine off. Mine is pretty worn down, so I took the photo with his ring.
Aggie Therapist
AG
A worn down Aggie ring is something to be proud of
AgEng06
AG
Did someone say CW bronze? (Pic obviously not taken today)

BBRex
AG
Sea Speed said:

I want a nautilus so bad and I would probably retire my Rolex forever if i got it. That sucker would be so beat up by the time I die. Of all material possessions I can think of, it's definitely my number one.
Man, this is a funny hobby. I couldn't care less about a Nautilus. I think they are dog ugly, and while I appreciate the guts that go into them, if someone gave me one, I'd sell it tomorrow.
Diggity
AG
BBRex said:

Sea Speed said:

I want a nautilus so bad and I would probably retire my Rolex forever if i got it. That sucker would be so beat up by the time I die. Of all material possessions I can think of, it's definitely my number one.
Man, this is a funny hobby. I couldn't care less about a Nautilus. I think they are dog ugly, and while I appreciate the guts that go into them, if someone gave me one, I'd sell it tomorrow.
well if somebody gave me anything worth $50-100K, I would probably sell it as well.
Sea Speed
AG
For me it is because of the history of the design. I've been going to sea for 20 years and the design was inspired by a ships porthole and that is just awesome to me. Couple that with the craftsmanship and history of the brand and I am just so in to it.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
BBRex said:

Sea Speed said:

ERRONEOUS! Definitely one of my grail watches. But I hear what you're saying about it being a funny hobby and different strokes.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
schmendeler
AG
CBatt20 said:

What are y'alls favorite recommendations for a first watch? Considering getting into the hobby.

So was this a bot or what?
BBRex
AG
My realistic grail watch (and one many of y'all could afford) would be a steel Rolex Oyster Perpetual 41 with a blue dial. I love the subtle balance and taper of the baton hands, and I don't have a blue dial watch. It's simple, beautiful and practical all at once. I just can't justify spending that much on a watch. I love admiring watches, though, and I love seeing what shows up here.
nealan
The good thing about Rolex specifically (at least within the last 10 years or so) is that they hold value very very well. We have seen a bit of a price dip recently, but not horrible. The way I look at it , you can buy a Rolex, enjoy it for a while and then still get out from under it and recoup most of your money. The money you lose you can chalk up to the price of being able to enjoy the watch while you had it. That's also true of many watch brands outside of Rolex (Omega etc) but ONLY if you get them at a pre-owned or grey market discounted price. When I buy a Rolex, I expect to enjoy it for a year or two and then lose maybe $500 on it when i inevitably trade it on something else to scratch the watch itch. This may not work for everyone , but it's been working for me for about a decade so far

edit to add, I have never bought a Rolex from a boutique because I have never been able to due to Rolex's BS games. So, all have my watch buying and trading has been through grey market or trusted folks like FTAC
SPF250
AG
I have never sold a watch.
schmendeler
AG
I don't like selling them either. I've got some that i bought early in that i could probably get rid of but they are also cheaper watches that wouldn't fetch much any way.
SPF250
AG
I still have the Seiko gold plated dress watch that my parents gave me for my A&M graduation. Wore it every day for over 30 years. It still runs and one of my sons has expressed an interest in having it.
schmendeler
AG
Oh that's a family heirloom for sure!
giddings_ag_06
AG

Any info on this watch? I know nothing about it and can't find anything googling for this. I'm not attached to it, but just want to know more about it. Thanks for any help.
schmendeler
AG
What does the case back look like?
Aggie Therapist
AG
It looks like some type of tribute to the $20 coin
giddings_ag_06
AG
schmendeler said:

What does the case back look like?

Scruffy
AG
Looks like should be chocolate inside.
schmendeler
AG
Well i got nothing.
giddings_ag_06
AG

Aggie Therapist
AG
The more you look at it, the worse it gets
First Page Last Page
Page 413 of 428

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.