Houston
Sponsored by

High-end Watches Locally?

1,784,105 Views | 14947 Replies | Last: 17 hrs ago by Mathguy64
GAC06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FTAC2011 said:

For the dress watch folks I will have this soon. Brand new. And for 1,200 under msrp. 23k total.

White face, yellow gold I'd be tempted
peteratm02
AG
I want this!
AMB99
AG
I've seen this thread run on for quite a long time. Long time lurker on TA. Figured it'd be the right place to get some help.

To the point. Divorce commencing. Wife seems destined to bleed us dry. Might need an extra cash infusion. She bought me this for our 20th; Breitling Navitimer Automatic 41mm Stainless Steel. I'm not really much of a high-end, luxury guy.

What would be the most effective way to resell the watch. I've probably only worn it a few dozen times in the last 3 years. It is in really nice condition with original box, papers, etc.

Serviam
AMB99 said:

I've seen this thread run on for quite a long time. Long time lurker on TA. Figured it'd be the right place to get some help.

To the point. Divorce commencing. Wife seems destined to bleed us dry. Might need an extra cash infusion. She bought me this for our 20th; Breitling Navitimer Automatic 41mm Stainless Steel. I'm not really much of a high-end, luxury guy.

What would be the most effective way to resell the watch. I've probably only worn it a few dozen times in the last 3 years. It is in really nice condition with original box, papers, etc.

You could try to sell it to FTAC.
Sea Speed
AG
$8k 1995 sub on classified board

https://texags.com/forums/50/topics/3387828
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
AMB99 said:

What would you try and get for it?
Aggie Therapist
AG
Sorry to hear about the divorce brother.

Hopefully the process ends sooner rather than later so you can focus on the next chapter in life.

PM me if you need an ear.
stonksock
Celebration post!

After almost 2 years of waiting, a Rolex AD told me my watch has finally come in:
https://www.rolex.com/en-us/watches/datejust/m126334-0001

It goes for 3k more on the grey market:
https://www.jomashop.com/rolex-watch-126334blso.html#

Everything seems on the up and up but they want cash or a wire transfer. I'll go in tomorrow in person to make sure its legit and confirm the bank info. A pretty tech savvy youtuber got conned when one of his contractor's email server got hacked and sent him a legit looking invoice. I don't have much going on tomorrow so its not a big deal to go check in person.

I had previously bought a Cartier Tank XL from the same AD
https://www.cartier.com/en-us/watches/collections/tank/tank-must-watch--CRWSTA0040.html
but that was 2 or 3 years ago when the MSRP was $3700
schmendeler
AG
Congrats.

The payment method sounds kind of fishy to me. I would for sure go in person. I'd be a little suspicious if an AD didn't take credit cards.
stonksock
yeah they took a credit card for the Cartier even though I offered to do a bank wire. I had previously bought a pre owned watch from a dealer in another state that they preferred that to avoid the swipe fees. They sent me a form with their letter head saying they were setting up an account for me to transfer money into but they left the first and last 3 digits blank and asked me to call in to get them.

Everything seems on the up and up because they aren't saying "do it now or its gone". Either way doing it person unannounced will quell any fears I have.
schmendeler
AG
Why are they setting up an account? If this is something they do all the time, they should have an existing account for this purpose.

As for avoiding swipe fees, sorry, that's a 'them' problem. You're paying $10k for a watch that they are making a sizable margin on. They should offer you a discount for that, honestly. That's a lot of points to pass up on as well.
stonksock
I don't know... if I go into the store and talk to a random rep and they have no idea what I am talking about then the gig is up and I can let them know their email server has been hacked
Serviam
I've had shenanigans like that done before. They know they can't charge more than MSRP so they'll try to beat any more out of you that they can.

I stopped buying at Thomas Markle because it snowballed. First they asked me to pay by wire; so I did no problem. The next time they told me that I needed to buy a watch winder when my next steel sports watch came in, and I did (bad mistake), the next time my sales guy flat out told me I needed to buy a pair of $50k diamond earrings for my wife and I refused. I haven't heard back from him since. This is after buying $200k of Rolexes from them before the feeding frenzy.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
For sure would be grabbing the points on a pricey watch.

Ask FTAC, I was willing to pay him a little extra for points because I was that close to status.
stonksock
yeah i am a bit annoyed with this AD too... I let him know what I wanted 2 years ago when the watch I wanted was going for 6-7k over msrp and he told me I "was first in line". Now that the used market has come back to earth and I email him letting him know I am giving him one last chance before just buying a pre-owned one from a dealer out of state and all of a sudden the watch I wanted is in stock ready to go... trying to do my due diligence to make sure its for real.
YouBet
AG
stonksock said:

yeah i am a bit annoyed with this AD too... I let him know what I wanted 2 years ago when the watch I wanted was going for 6-7k over msrp and he told me I "was first in line". Now that the used market has come back to earth and I email him letting him know I am giving him one last chance before just buying a pre-owned one from a dealer out of state and all of a sudden the watch I wanted is in stock ready to go... trying to do my due diligence to make sure its for real.

This dude sounds straight up used car salesman. Buyer beware. Hard.
Serviam
Buying that watch at MSRP is a pretty good deal though, so he does have a little bit of hand on you. From what it looks like, that watch is going for about $12,500 or so, and that's for a 2020 model. So buying it for $11,300 NIB out the door isn't bad. I'd happily wire the funds for it, if I wanted it. But I wouldn't buy a watch winder
FTAC2011
AG
You're paying what? 11.2k out the door?

For that one I can get to you on gray market for ~13k or a tad less.. so imo you're getting a pretty good deal.

The points can't be worth that extra $1500-2k
stonksock
FTAC2011 said:

You're paying what? 11.2k out the door?

For that one I can get to you on gray market for ~13k or a tad less.. so imo you're getting a pretty good deal.

The points can't be worth that extra $1500-2k
yes the invoice they sent was for $11203.88
stonksock
I bought a Cartier tank xl from him a few years ago... but that watch was a crazy value at $3700 back then for an in house automatic. Cartier smartened up and raised the MSRP since then.
bthotugigem05
AG
It's not just getting the points but also some credit cards give really good extended warranty and purchase protection benefits.
stonksock
I went in today and everything was on the up and up. I was confused and they didn't set up an account just for me it was their regular account. I took the number to my brokerage in person and they confirmed they had sent money to that account before. An hour later I had the watch
Serviam
stonksock said:

I went in today and everything was on the up and up. I was confused and they didn't set up an account just for me it was their regular account. I took the number to my brokerage in person and they confirmed they had sent money to that account before. An hour later I had the watch

I don't see a pic, therefore I don't believe you
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
AMB99
AG
Good question. I know what it cost originally. I could go digging through the interwebs and make some comparisons, but I am not sure where to go for reliable information. That's why I started here.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
What year?
AMB99
AG
Just 3 years old; 2021.
jh0400
AG
AMB99 said:

Good question. I know what it cost originally. I could go digging through the interwebs and make some comparisons, but I am not sure where to go for reliable information. That's why I started here.

Put the reference number into the search on Chrono24, filter out watches with box and papers in the US, and look at what they're listed for. For a private party sale, you'd need to subtract at least 10-15% from those values, or at least that's been my experience with private party vs dealer.
TulaneAg
FTAC... Do you have any Tudor dealers discounting the Pelagos FXD M25717N-0001 model?

My old 80's Seamaster is acting up again after being repaired a few times. I think it's time to retire it from the regular rotation and find a replacement and I'm still loving this Pelagos FXD after looking at it for a year.

FTAC2011
AG
Dm sent. I should be able to help
stonksock
Serviam said:

stonksock said:

I don't see a pic, therefore I don't believe you
Sorry for the delay

https://imgur.com/LrZYbfN

https://imgur.com/n7idYM1
AgLA06
AG
Sharp
Diggity
AG
very nice.

That was my #1 pick for a DJ, but I already had two blue faced Omega's so I went with the grey.

Still love that one.
stonksock
Thanks!

I was getting super close to giving up and buying a used one. I got a big bonus a few years ago and I had earmaked 1/3 of it for this watch back when I "registered my interest" in this one. Since that time I had an amazing run in stock market and retired early (under 45). So this is now my retirement Rolex.
Quo Vadis?
How about a new Cameron Deepsea? Just picked this guy up at the Rolex boutique in Abu Dhabi. It's a little different from the usual 136660, this is the one 2024 version that isn't a sea dweller, it's in its new Deepsea category, and the verbiage has been removed from the dial making it look much cleaner.
First Page Last Page
Page 408 of 428

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.