Houston
Sponsored by

High-end Watches Locally?

1,785,151 Views | 14951 Replies | Last: 21 min ago by FTAC2011
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I stopped giving a damn about the "royal" family is 1776. You do you tho.
RVAg02
AG
He wears that watch because Diana gave it to him. Basically wears it and only it all the time.
AgLA06
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I stopped giving a damn about the "royal" family is 1776. You do you tho.

Damn you're old!

BoDog
AG
I said the exact same thing to myself and imagined those comments in 3, 2, 1,...... I just knew that would be brought up on this thread.
TarponChaser
AgLA06 said:

schmendeler said:

Prince William an Omega bro
Literally the family that defines formality and etiquette in the world wears a sports watch with a tux.

Someone send a mental health check to Farmer.

The old etiquette of not wearing a watch let alone a sports watch comes from a time when the only folks who wore formal attire were the wealthy gentry who did not need watches and from the notion that wearing a watch could indicate one was so gauche and rude as to perhaps signal that they had someplace better to be than the formal event they were attending and might give such offense as to not pay attention to the others in attendance.

Those days are long past. Today, wearing such a watch either with formal attire or a suit is more of an individualistic personality statement within the other more defined boundaries.
AgLA06
AG
TarponChaser said:

AgLA06 said:

schmendeler said:

Literally the family that defines formality and etiquette in the world wears a sports watch with a tux.

The old etiquette of not wearing a watch let alone a sports watch comes from a time when the only folks who wore formal attire were the wealthy gentry who did not need watches and from the notion that wearing a watch could indicate one was so gauche and rude as to perhaps signal that they had someplace better to be than the formal event they were attending and might give such offense as to not pay attention to the others in attendance.

Those days are long past. Today, wearing such a watch either with formal attire or a suit is more of an individualistic personality statement within the other more defined boundaries.
Agreed.

It's really nothing more than made up rules to justify "the elite" feeling more important. It's like when my 5 year old makes up new rules midway through some made child's game so she doesn't lose at her own game.

Farmer1906
AG
AgLA06 said:

TarponChaser said:

AgLA06 said:

schmendeler said:

Agreed.

It's really nothing more than made up rules to justify "the elite" feeling more important. It's like when my 5 year old makes up new rules midway through some made child's game so she doesn't lose at her own game.

All rules are made up. Unless they are rooted in morality given to us by god, it's just some man-made decision.

You wouldn't wear crocks with slacks, you wouldn't wear patent leather shoes with jorts, and for a long time, you wouldn't wear sneakers with a suit. You can break traditional norms, but we're not really better off for it.
AgLA06
AG
Farmer1906 said:

AgLA06 said:

TarponChaser said:

AgLA06 said:

schmendeler said:

Agreed.

All rules are made up. Unless they are rooted in morality given to us by god, it's just some man-made decision.

You wouldn't wear crocks with slacks, you wouldn't wear patent leather shoes with jorts, and for a long time, you wouldn't wear sneakers with a suit. You can break traditional norms, but we're not really better off for it.
I think the point is 99.99% of people don't see it anywhere close to the same scenario as the things you listed. Including the exact family that the people that made this "rule" up hoping to impress.

It's like old money sitting around at a party laughing at the poors.

Then new money shows up and it's suddenly not being rich, but being rich first that makes them elite.
Farmer1906
AG
AgLA06 said:

Farmer1906 said:

AgLA06 said:

TarponChaser said:

AgLA06 said:

schmendeler said:

Agreed.

I think the point is 99.99% of people don't see it anywhere close to the same scenario as the things you listed. Including the exact family that the people that made this "rule" up hoped to impress.

Then new money shows up and it's suddenly not being rich, but being rich first that makes them elite.

Not all of us can be the .01%
AgLA06
AG
Farmer1906 said:

AgLA06 said:

Farmer1906 said:

AgLA06 said:

TarponChaser said:

AgLA06 said:

schmendeler said:

Agreed.

I think the point is 99.99% of people don't see it anywhere close to the same scenario as the things you listed. Including the exact family that the people that made this "rule" up hoped to impress.

Not everyone wants to be the .01% or thinks they're anywhere near as important or as worthy as a goal as they do. They're just typically the ones who need to judge others to justify their worth.

And back to the normal thread.
zgolfz85
AG
People in high ranking corporate jobs wear $150 Vuori joggers and Jordans to work and take home $350k a year. Where does that fit into your etiquette rules?

It feels good to dress up and adhere to antiquated etiquette norms when you're 25-35 and have the energy for it. After that, limit me to special occasions. Sign me up for casual and a nice wrist watch.
Irish 2.0
zgolfz85 said:

People in high ranking corporate jobs wear $150 Vuori joggers and Jordans to work and take home $350k a year. Where does that fit into your etiquette rules?

It feels good to dress up and adhere to antiquated etiquette norms when you're 25-35 and have the energy for it. After that, limit me to special occasions. Sign me up for casual and a nice wrist watch.
I'm a 35 y/o VP. If you catch me in anything more than jeans or shorts and a t-shirt or polo, I'm likely at a funeral or wedding. Hell, I wear jeans and polos to conferences now because I just don't give a rat's ass anymore. We worked from home in our underwear for ~18 months and **** still got done.

My division continues to grow at over 10% annually and has been for the last 6 years. My employers don't care what the hell I'm wearing.
Ed Harley
AG
Farmer1906 said:

AgLA06 said:

Farmer1906 said:

AgLA06 said:

TarponChaser said:

AgLA06 said:

schmendeler said:

Agreed.

You truly believe that patent leather shoes with jorts is equivalent to a submariner with a tux? That's what puts you in the .01%?
TheVarian
AG
Ladies ladies ladies, keep it in your pants. Here for watches, not pissing and moaning of the elderly boomer.
TarponChaser
TheVarian said:

Ladies ladies ladies, keep it in your pants. Here for watches, not pissing and moaning of the elderly boomer.

GenX here, thank you very much.

Unlike the Boomers, Millennials, or GenZ in here we'll cut you like a fish. Or maybe not. Depends on if we can escape our ennui long enough to muster up the energy to care. It's whatever man.
TheVarian
AG
It is, and I agree I'd rather wear my beat up jeans, work boots, and a shirt sleeeve golf shirt to work or joggers, on clouds, and a pullover.

Can't let one goober muddle everything up. To each their own.

ETA: Was really referring to the man who is 118 this year.
zgolfz85
AG
My 88 year old neighbor still puts on a pressed shirt and slacks and polished leather loafers just to do his daily mailbox check. He probably agrees that sports watches and tuxes are low brow.
I Am A Critic
There is a large disparity between the conversations on this thread and the number of ladie's watches posted. Bunch of insecure vajeens.
Username checks out.
Farmer1906
AG
A lot of posts on here using a lot of words only to say "Money doesn't buy taste".
TheVarian
AG
Another Barnes sock. *spreadsheet updated*
TarponChaser
Farmer1906 said:

A lot of posts on here using a lot of words only to say "Money doesn't buy taste".

Taste is highly subjective.

100 years ago the elites snubbed Picasso as nouveau and vulgar.

That being said, I think we've identified @Farmer1906...

He recovered but did fall on hard times for a bit. Had to pawn his Rochefoucauld.
FTAC2011
AG
Rocking my old man watch today
FTAC2011
AG
TarponChaser
FTAC2011 said:

See here's a taste thing again...

..I'm sure a ton of y'all love this watch but I just don't care for the two-tone with gold/stainless steel. Actually, I'm not a fan of gold watches at all. Nothing inherently wrong with them, they're just not my style or taste. But I'm not judging at all. If you like it that's all that matters.
Farmer1906
AG
TarponChaser said:

Farmer1906 said:

They were right.
HouAggie
AG
zgolfz85 said:

High ranking corporate job and only takes home $350k/yr. LOL
Serotonin
AG
Styles and aesthetics change and we all have to be fluid and non-judgmental about that.

But I have to side with Farmer here.

I love the Omega but think it looks pretty terrible with a tux. Not because he's being rude or any cultural reason, just because I don't think it syncs or vibes with the rest of the outfit. The whole tuxedo harmony is rooted in simplicity, symmetry, and subtle design elements.

IMO the watch definitely clashes with all that, but that's just my subjective view and YMMV on how you view that.
panag
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

zgolfz85 said:

I'm a 35 y/o VP. If you catch me in anything more than jeans or shorts and a t-shirt or polo, I'm likely at a funeral or wedding. Hell, I wear jeans and polos to conferences now because I just don't give a rat's ass anymore. We worked from home in our underwear for ~18 months and **** still got done.

My division continues to grow at over 10% annually and has been for the last 6 years. My employers don't care what the hell I'm wearing.

Not even a Patagonia vest? Bro you are doing it wrong.
Mateo84
AG
TarponChaser said:

FTAC2011 said:

..I'm sure a ton of y'all love this watch but I just don't care for the two-tone with gold/stainless steel. Actually, I'm not a fan of gold watches at all. Nothing inherently wrong with them, they're just not my style or taste. But I'm not judging at all. If you like it that's all that matters.

I love it
zgolfz85
AG
Farmer1906 said:

TarponChaser said:

Farmer1906 said:

They were right.

Now I know you're crazy
schmendeler
AG
TarponChaser said:

FTAC2011 said:

this is one of the few two-tones i like. I heartily dislike the standard two-tone datejust.
TarponChaser
Mateo84 said:

TarponChaser said:

FTAC2011 said:

I love it

Like I said, I ain't judging. You're perfectly within your rights to do so. It's just not my thing.
Serotonin
AG
TXAG 05
AG
I think wearing a watch with a tux is a whole lot better than pulling your phone out to check the time.
YouBet
AG
TarponChaser said:

FTAC2011 said:

We're on the same team here.
First Page Last Page
Page 375 of 428

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.