Houston
Sponsored by

High-end Watches Locally?

1,785,138 Views | 14951 Replies | Last: 18 min ago by FTAC2011
panag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Here's my newest "beater" watch. I clearly have a theme to my collection since my dress piece is a blue on blue JLC. Wife stole my DJ 36 because she wanted a bigger watch and you ******** convinced me it was too small…

Farmer1906
AG
It wasn't.
panag
AG
Agreed - just stirring the pot. It is cheaper to let her wear my 36 than to buy her the new one she wants!
Diggity
AG
nobody wants to wear the Lady Date anymore.
AgLA06
AG
panag said:

Agreed - just stirring the pot. It is cheaper to let her wear my 36 than to buy her the new one she wants!
That makes more sense as big as watches seem to wear on your wrist.
panag
AG
Haha it may also be the pic as my wrist is 7 1/8 and the watch is a 42 (though my 40 does fit a hair better).

No rain on this parade damnit!
nealan
My wife wears a lady datejust and likes it . Not every woman wants to wear a mens watch
nealan
"Not that there's anything wrong with that"
Diggity
AG
you're right of course. I just know that they aren't selling worth a crap at this point because of the trend of larger watches.
nealan
Interestingly, she tried on 29 and 26 and preferred the 26.
RVAg02
AG
my wife prefers her 26 datejust as well.
YouBet
AG
My wife's Rolex is small. It was her mother's and isn't going anywhere so not worried about resell.
FTAco07
AG
My wife preferred the 31mm Datejust and I think it's the perfect size for her relatively small wrist.
panag
AG
My wife has a 26 that's a family piece so that's not going anywhere. The 36 would be an additional piece. I encounter rest of you…
Diggity
AG
My wife has the 26 that she received as a gift and I'm not sure how anyone can tell time on those.

It's a nice elegant watch for a formal event, but that's about it. I don't think they make that model anymore.

The 31mm is quite a bit larger than the original Ladydate. Just them getting with the times.
nealan
My wife likes the 26 especially because she can wear it with a bracelet or two
schmendeler
AG
Sorry if already discussed and i missed it.

Looks like Omega has a new variant of the moonwatch on the horizon. It's a riff on the Alaska Project watches Omega was developing for NASA in the late 60's/early 70's

White dial, red accents, on stainless steel.

Daniel Craig was seen wearing it. I like it. I also liked the Swatch Moonwatch Mars because it was very similar to the Alaska Project.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/daniel-craig-wearing-a-yet-to-be-released-white-dial-speedmaster-at-planet-omega-in-new-york
BoDog
AG
If its a day that ends in Y then Omega is probably releasing a new watch/version....
AgEng06
AG
BoDog said:

If its a day that ends in Y then Omega is probably releasing a new watch/version....

Yeah, but this one I can get behind if it's a regular release (read: regularly priced and available) and not some limited edition. I love my 3861 Speedy and would also love a white version of it.
schmendeler
AG
It's true, ha
schmendeler
AG
Yeah just a regular version with a white dial is a nice option
panag
AG
May be blasphemy but I like this better than the traditional Moonwatch.
schmendeler
AG
Burn the witch!
Daddy-O5
AG
Not sure this is really the right thread for this, but my family inherited a couple of old watches; one's a Rolex and one's a Chaumet.

Best spot in Houston for an appraisal for these watches (amongst a bunch of other jewelry).

I Am A Critic
Did you inherit a decent camera too?
Username checks out.
FTAC2011
AG
Are you doing an appraisal for insurance purposes? Or are you trying to sell them? Not sure about the other but the Rolex is worth a few grand
Daddy-O5
AG
Honestly not sure. Trying to determine reasonable value to decide what to do with them next.
YouBet
AG
They seem to have blurred over the years. Were they stored underwater?
TheVarian
AG
That Rolex is SLICK

ETA: you could always just go to the Rolex store in the Galleria if you're feeling brave
panag
AG
I don't recommend the Rolex boutique in the Houston Galleria. I took my grandfathers '74 datejust there when I inherited it and they told me it was fake because it had too few digits in the reference number.

Took it to the Rolex service center in Dallas a couple months later and spoiled alert, it's not fake.
TheVarian
AG
Did a quick google search for ya because I'm curious

Do you have the paperwork/box with it?

Also, don't know how reliable these websites are buttttt

4-5k
https://www.bidsquare.com/online-auctions/morton-subastas/rolex-cellini-18k-yellow-gold-ref-4114-13-ca-1976---1977-1587627

https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/watches/wrist-watches/rolex-cellini-vintage-18k-yellow-gold-champagne-dial-mens-watch-4310-papers/id-j_14740062/

eBay had it sold for 7,800

If it were me, I would go to Rolex and have them look at and see if they can pull the history up on.
TheVarian
AG
And the Chaumet:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Chaumet-Womens-34mm-Watch-173195099392-E-Pre-Owned/435482326

Can't tell if the columns/time pieces are blue or black here
https://www.ebay.com.my/itm/153879229521

TheVarian
AG
Good to know, where is that service center located?
panag
AG
Sorry meant to say the one in Dallas. The Rolex AD I've used here in Houston is De Boulle, but my go to jewelry/watch store is Zadok FWIW.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Hal Martin's and/or US Coin & Jewelry
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
First Page Last Page
Page 367 of 428

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.