Houston
Sponsored by

High-end Watches Locally?

1,751,878 Views | 14850 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by BBRex
TAM85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Scruffy said:

I want.
Wife would kill me.

So do you usually buy first and explain later?
Terminus Est
Scruffy said:

I want.
Wife would kill me.

You need to learn the "oh I've had this for a while I just don't wear it often" line.
planoaggie123
AG
Terminus Est said:

Scruffy said:

I want.
Wife would kill me.

You need to learn the "oh I've had this for a while I just don't wear it often" line.

…and the "I don't think I want to do a vacation next year" line too.
TAM85
Lol, yeah I need to figure out how and when to pitch this.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
$2,500 I'm sure I can hide. NO WAY am I swinging a country club initiation fee amount on a watch without her finding out.
Terminus Est
PrestigeWorldwideAg12 said:

$2,500 I'm sure I can hide. NO WAY am I swinging a country club initiation fee amount on a watch without her finding out.

For a guy named prestige worldwide you need to up your country club game
Daytona22
AG
TAM85 said:

Scruffy said:

I want.
Wife would kill me.

That's what I did when I bought mine. She's still with me ha!
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Terminus Est said:

PrestigeWorldwideAg12 said:

For a guy named prestige worldwide you need to up your country club game

Kids man… they suck the bank account dry
SPF250
AG
TAM85 said:

Scruffy said:

I want.
Wife would kill me.

Bought my Speedmaster that way a few years ago. That one slid by. Bought a car that way many years ago. Still hearing about that one. (It was a red Alfa Romeo convertible. Totally worth it.)
YouBet
AG
I still owe my wife several massive purchases without her input. Over the years, the aggregate amount she has spent on clothing would buy me a Daytona for each day of the week.
FTAC2011
AG
As a watch salesman, I know as soon as the wife is involved, I'm eating ramen for dinner.
jh0400
AG
My wife just thinks watches are another of my hobbies she doesn't understand. She doesn't know brands at all other than Rolex. I could come home with a Patek or AL&S, and she wouldn't know the difference between that and an Oris. At the same time I'd never hear the end of it if I came home with an OP.

On the other hand, to her dropping that Sky Dweller on a week in Europe is a perfectly reasonable and rational thing to do.
SPF250
AG
What's that watch Katie George is wearing?
jh0400
AG
Daytona Panda

https://instagr.am/p/Cys4DzEuEvk
SPF250
AG
Giddy up!
FHKChE07
AG
Does she really make that much as a sideline reporter to afford a $35k watch? If so, I need to change my occupation.
Terminus Est
FHKChE07 said:

Does she really make that much as a sideline reporter to afford a $35k watch? If so, I need to change my occupation.
I wouldn't think so, but maybe she's from family money? Her husband is a pro-soccer player, but the MLS scrub type variety so I wouldn't think he's making that much money either.
SPF250
AG
She may get an allowance like a sponsorship of sorts.
Diggity
AG
Isn't it around $15K retail?

Not absurd to think she could grab one direct.

AgLA06
AG
Terminus Est said:

FHKChE07 said:

I wouldn't think so, but maybe she's from family money? Her husband is a pro-soccer player, but the MLS scrub type variety so I wouldn't think he's making that much money either.
I'm guessing like most Americans, you'd probably be wrong.

I'm friends with a backup goalie who's been in the league a while. I'm aware of soccer salaries overseas, but wasn't aware of how the MLS had progressed until I talked to him last. Salary is a combination of skill and time in league. He's making $300k a year as a backup with seniority. Each team has one big stud making between $2.5M and $10M a couple of guys making low 7 figure / high 6 figure annual salaries depending on resume and name recognition.

Then 5-10 guys making $300K + and then the bottom half of the rost made up of year to year guys and new players in the league. Average team salary spend is about $15M with top quarter teams spending $20M-$25M.

Unless he's a top 5 player on a team, it probably wouldn't be a smart financial decision to buy a Daytona, but it wouldn't exactly cripple them financially either.
FTAC2011
AG
With Rolex, it's essentially as liquid as cash. Even if it's spending more than your income usually allows, you will always be able to sell the watch quickly if ever need be without losing too much, or even gaining if the market is right.

So it can be a savings account you wear on the wrist… simply just moving money around.
FHKChE07
AG
People always say that about Rolexes, but what does a service on a Rolex cost these days? And they aren't always appreciating as we have seen in the last year.
ChipFTAC01
AG
AgLA06 said:

Terminus Est said:

FHKChE07 said:

I'm friends with a backup goalie who's been in the league a while. I'm aware of soccer salaries overseas, but wasn't aware of how the MLS had progressed until I talked to him last. Salary is a combination of skill and time in league. He's making $300k a year as a backup with seniority. Each team has one big stud making between $2.5M and $10M a couple of guys making low 7 figure / high 6 figure annual salaries depending on resume and name recognition.

Then 5-10 guys making $300K + and then the bottom half of the rost made up of year to year guys and new players in the league. Average team salary spend is about $15M with top quarter teams spending $20M-$25M.

Unless he's a top 5 player on a team, it probably wouldn't be a smart financial decision to buy a Daytona, but it wouldn't exactly cripple them financially either.

Only quibble is that her husband doesn't play in MLS, He plays in the second tier USL for Louisville. He probably doesn't make 6 figures.
Diggity
AG
yeah, I was about to say the same. Guy washed out of MLS pretty quickly.
FTAC2011
AG
FHKChE07 said:

People always say that about Rolexes, but what does a service on a Rolex cost these days? And they aren't always appreciating as we have seen in the last year.

Depends on where you get it done. But full overhaul around $400. I've had a submariner that still runs perfectly that hasn't been serviced in almost 20 years
schmendeler
AG
I'm willing to consider buying a Rolex from anyone fearful of maintenance costs.
AgLA06
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

AgLA06 said:

Terminus Est said:

FHKChE07 said:

Only quibble is that her husband doesn't play in MLS, He plays in the second tier USL for Louisville. He probably doesn't make 6 figures.
Sorry. I couldn't tell you who he is. I wrongly assumed he meant MLS when he said professional soccer USA. Being a career long backup scrub in MLS isn't a bad gig. Not as good as backup kicker or QB in the NFL or bullpen catcher in MLB, but not a bad gig.
AgLA06
AG
FTAC2011 said:

FHKChE07 said:

Depends on where you get it done. But full overhaul around $400. I've had a submariner that still runs perfectly that hasn't been serviced in almost 20 years
Where would you recommend that would be around $400 and I wouldn't lose sleep about letting it out of my sight? I was quoted multiples of that to send to Rolex.
Diggity
AG
FTAC2011 said:

FHKChE07 said:

that sounds very cheap. I paid well over that for a non-chrono Seamaster.

Is that from TM?
FTAco07
AG
Where are you located? I have a guy in Dallas I use that serviced by vintage day date for about $500. He's a Rolex OG who wears his original Paul Newman Daytona as a daily.

I had previously taken it to Rolex (they have a service center in Dallas) and they really pissed me off refusing to work on it due to a modified bezel and replacing it with a modern one that doesn't fit properly.

AgLA06
AG
Houston. Sending it to the service center in Dallas was quoted as $1,200 before determining any additional parts.
FTAC2011
AG
Diggity said:

FTAC2011 said:

FHKChE07 said:

that sounds very cheap. I paid well over that for a non-chrono Seamaster.

Is that from TM?

No it's from one of my jeweler contacts out of Philadelphia. I believe my pricing is a bit better than if you walked in to get it done or called him because I use him a lot.

I've helped a few of my Texags customers get their watches serviced through him.

Very trustworthy and their watchmaker used to be head watchmaker for breguet. Fully Licensed to service all major brands
dummble
AG
She tagged the jeweler in the post. Might just be a loaner/sponsorship.
ChipFTAC01
AG
AgLA06 said:

ChipFTAC01 said:

AgLA06 said:

Terminus Est said:

FHKChE07 said:

Sorry. I couldn't tell you who he is. I wrongly assumed he meant MLS when he said professional soccer USA. Being a career long backup scrub in MLS isn't a bad gig. Not as good as backup kicker or QB in the NFL or bullpen catcher in MLB, but not a bad gig.

I didn't know who he was either (or her for that matter). Just googled her and then googled her husband.
jh0400
AG
She's done some promo work for them.

https://instagr.am/p/CuzcLJVMcc9
First Page Last Page
Page 356 of 425

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.