Houston
Sponsored by

High-end Watches Locally?

1,750,344 Views | 14849 Replies | Last: 20 hrs ago by Quo Vadis?
Mateo84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Marauder Blue 6 said:

Mateo84 said:

htxag09 said:

was looking at a 36mm....

I saw the discussion about the 36 mm sizes from today right before I picked this up brand new from my AD this afternoon … bring on the HATE and the LOVE … this one is sure to be polarizing

Beautiful watch! Was this something you'd ordered or did you just walk in and buy it off the display? I'm just curious about lead times for new watches at MSRP these days.

I didn't technically "order" it but I did specifically request it. I told the salesman two Rolex models I was interested in when I bought some Omega pieces recently. It only took a month before he had one for me.

My understanding was that it would have likely taken much longer for a popular Submariner or something similar but this model is less commonly requested. That being said, I've spent a fair bit with this specific salesman at this AD over the last couple of months now so I might be getting bumped up "the list" a little at this point.
TheOC16
AG
New watch day, I joined the Aquis club. (I think another one of us has this in green if I'm not mistaken??)

This is a watch I considered as my first good watch/luxury watch purchase when I was transitioning out of Fossil. I think about buying this every time it's time for a new watch, as in my opinion this is THE prettiest bold green watch I've seen (only potential caveat being the olive president, but those are different worlds). Saw it at a price I couldn't pass up so I offloaded a few other pieces and snagged this one.

Initial impressions confirm prior thoughts - this is a huge value proposition. It is just a couple small tweaks away (micro-adjustment system, bezel grip) from being just as good as any dive watch out there. FIVE DAY power reserve is really beneficial to the way I rotate watches, 10 year warranty, the bracelet and clasp are substantial and comfortable, finishing is great. And I'm not a rubber guy, but I've heard their strap option is top of the line.

I was also shocked this morning walking down the dark hall in my office to see extremely bright lume.
This after the watch hasn't been outside in who knows how long as it was just taken out of the box after several days in shipping. Pretty remarkable.
schmendeler
AG
Very nice!
jh0400
AG
I've got the 39.5 and really like it. I wish they'd make the green rubber strap available in that size instead of just the 41.5. What size is yours
AgEng06
AG
Looks awesome. Like was asked, what size is yours and is it the Calibre 400?
TheOC16
AG
41.5, that's another great thing I didn't mention - nice that Oris makes this in three different sizes. Wasn't aware the strap didn't come in 39.5 though... that's unfortunate.

And yes, Calibre 400. Would have been open to the standard as well, but happy to have the extra power reserve and warranty.
jh0400
AG
You can get black rubber on the 39.5. Apparently the green was only released on a special edition 41.5, so the only option is to buy a takeoff from someone who swapped to a bracelet.
AgEng06
AG
I really like that. I didn't consider it in my dive watch search post above, but it's something I'll take a look at.
slaughtr
AG
Headed to Vienna and Budapest next week. Suggestions on watch stores from anyone?
ChipFTAC01
AG
I assume you watch nerds have seen the story about how Yoko Ono likely will be getting back John Lennon's PP that's been missing for 40 years?
jh0400
AG
I really like this one. If I needed another Oris diver it would be at the top of my list.

panag
AG
Man that's a great looking watch. Nice.
Dies Irae
did you buy this from FTAC?
BBRex
AG
Tudor just came out with another variant of the FXD. The dial is black, the bezel is unidirectional and the strap is forest green with a red stripe. Watches of Espionage says that it's been around for about a year for SEAL Team 6 units, and there are some differences with those military models, including the Pelagos name in different colors and two lines of text instead of four. Also, the military version has a left-hand option. I think I like this one better than the original.
AgEng06
AG
I apologize for spamming with questions, and I love the diver talk... but I need you guys to help me decide on a DJ 41. My goal is a nice watch that isn't too flashy and can be worn in almost any situation/dress. My other "fancy" watch for now is a sapphire Speedy Professional.

For a while now my favorite has been smooth bezel, jubilee bracelet, bright blue dial (shown below). I've felt like the fluted bezel would be a little too "flashy" and not be as versatile in some situations, but I also realize the fluted bezel is the quintessential "Datejust". I'm pretty set on the blue dial, but also like the slate (again, looking for something versatile).

Thoughts?

FTAco07
AG
I personally prefer the oyster bracelet with smooth bezel as the best combo for that watch. My strong preference for Rolex is a smooth bezel with oyster bracelet or fluted bezel with jubilee, and never a jubilee on a sport watch.
AgEng06
AG
Interesting. At that point, unless you just need the date, an OP would suffice. It would definitely save some money.
FTAC2011
AG
I personally love the jubilee smooth bezel look.

White dial and slate dial are my favorite with that setup
schmendeler
AG
Smooth bezel looks like an oyster perpetual to me
FTAco07
AG
That's just my personal preference. I am all for anyone and everyone getting whatever piece they like in whatever variation they want!
AgLA06
AG
I didn't realize there were that many smooth bezel fans.

Fluted is Rolex to me.
Farmer1906
AG
AgEng06 said:

For a while now my favorite has been smooth bezel, jubilee bracelet, bright blue dial (shown below). I've felt like the fluted bezel would be a little too "flashy" and not be as versatile in some situations, but I also realize the fluted bezel is the quintessential "Datejust". I'm pretty set on the blue dial, but also like the slate (again, looking for something versatile).

I don't understand this logic.
Not MarathonAg12
nealan said:

I'm eyeing a Seamaster 300 for my next watch. Can't decide on black or white

I love my black SMP300. I can wear it around the lazy river in swim trunks or to a formal occasion.

I like the Bond Vibes.

Farmer1906
AG
Not MarathonAg12 said:

nealan said:

I'm eyeing a Seamaster 300 for my next watch. Can't decide on black or white

I love my black SMP300. I can wear it around the lazy river in swim trunks or to a formal wedding.

I like the Bond Vibes.

"can", not "should".
Not MarathonAg12
Thanks Farmer
YouBet
AG
AgLA06 said:

I didn't realize there were that many smooth bezel fans.

Fluted is Rolex to me.
I like both. Depends on the model.

Interesting to note that a smooth bezel Rolex, the Oyster Perpetual, is listed as "Quintessentially Rolex" and "the purest expression of Rolex's manufacturing spirit..." so they disagree.

Regardless, I'm not a huge fan of that one. Love the Sky-Dweller with that fluted bezel. It's kick ass. And then my Milgauss has the smooth bezel which I also love.

AgEng06
AG
Thanks for all of the input. If anything, it makes me comfortable knowing there isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to go about it. Hopefully I can find an AD with both options to try them on and see what I like.
panag
AG
I think Oyster/smooth and Jubilee/fluted are the best combos but there's no bad choice. They all look slick.
AgLA06
AG
AgEng06 said:

Thanks for all of the input. If anything, it makes me comfortable knowing there isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to go about it. Hopefully I can find an AD with both options to try them on and see what I like.

The right way is if it's what you like.

This doesn't sound like a gift, so get exactly what you want. Because we aren't paying for it! And to hell with us then!!
AgEng06
AG
Very true. Thanks!
JCA1
AG
I'm not a watch guy and stumbled on this thread more out of curiosity than anything. Now I'm looking at Omega, Longines, and others' websites thinking to myself, "hmmm, I could justify that." Thanks a lot.

And note to self to stay off the automotive board.
TheOC16
AG
Not only can you justify it, you DESERVE it.
Not MarathonAg12
JCA1 said:

I'm not a watch guy and stumbled on this thread more out of curiosity than anything. Now I'm looking at Omega, Longines, and others' websites thinking to myself, "hmmm, I could justify that." Thanks a lot.

If you are looking to save money, add the bourbon board to your list.
panag
AG
TheOC16 said:

Not only can you justify it, you DESERVE it.
SPF250
AG
JCA1 said:

Join us as we all go…
First Page Last Page
Page 344 of 425

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.