Houston
Sponsored by

High-end Watches Locally?

1,502,515 Views | 13709 Replies | Last: 30 min ago by jh0400
Fall92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just ordered an Original Grain Alterra Chrono. Only about $350. My wife's been bugging me to get an OG so I opted for the new model. Hasn't come in yet. Would have preferred a Christopher Ward or SeikoSKX but not gonna complain.

http://www.originalgrain.com/
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
schmendeler
AG
it kind of pisses me off that you can't look at that watch without putting in your email address. their loss.
Diggity
AG
The OG watches? I didn't need to enter my email.
TP Ag '87
AG
Yeah, I don't care for their offerings enough to give them my email.
schmendeler
AG
the one that the poster preordered, it wouldn't let you see the details of it. unless there is some sort of back way.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
just make up an email address
Guitarsoup
AG
Steve@Apple.com

Always
testosterbone
AG
Bowknurr@hottermail.com
Fall92
AG
I fished out the access code for you: OGCHRONO.
Diggity
AG
gotcha...didn't click that one.
schmendeler
AG
nice, thanks!
TRIDENT
AG
Just ordered a Seiko SRP777 thanks to this thread.

https://monochrome-watches.com/seiko-prospex-srp-srp773k1-srp775k1-srp777k1-srp779k1-hands-on-review-price/

Now I need to find this strap, or similar, for it.
BBRex
AG
I added a black leather NATO strap to my 007. I'm liking the look so far.

aTm2004
AG
BBRex
AG
Farmer1906
AG
I thought these were 007s.

https://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/cinema/james-bond/

And Rolexes Subs before that.

BBRex
AG
Well, if you mean James Bond, yes. The 007 in this case refers to the model number -- SKX007.
Farmer1906
AG
gotcha
terradactylexpress
BBRex said:

Well, if you mean James Bond, yes. The 007 in this case refers to the model number -- SKX007.

Although the model number is not a coincidence
Texaggie7nine
BBRex said:

My knockoff from harwin I got 13 years ago is still going strong.
7nine
David_Puddy
AG
Nobody gives a sh-t
SO*TX*AG09
Holy sheeeeet guys...just trekked the 31 pages and learned more about watches than the last 29 years of life. It's awesome how much energy went into this.

Ok: . I've never owned a watch, my dad doesn't own a watch and my brother doesn't own a watch. Not necessarily a financial decision, just I guess we aren't a watch appreciating family. I've been really wanting a quality watch for the past couple years and have been planning on splurging for a tag or Brtlng this winter; mostly just because that's what friends and coworkers have. After going through this thread I've decided I want a dive (of course) mostly because I'm always outdoors whether hiking, wading or upland bird hunting. I like chronos, but would likely never use the features.

So what I've found the biggest criteria is for the watch is for it to be bulletproof. I'm not a big fan of maintenance or "being carefull" with any of my toys or belongings, so I'd like to have a slick watch that can take a beating (within reason)

What's your idea of a tough, good looking, watch in the 2k-5k range? Is there much of a difference when you narrow the heavy hitters in this price range? I definitely don't want too much bulk as I'd likely be wearing it witch suits and dress shirts to work like a poor.

Thanks in advance gentleman
aggiepaintrain
AG
great watches for the money

http://www.tudorwatch.com/watches/heritage-black-bay/m79230r-0001
Farmer1906
AG
A titanium Tudor Pelagos. It's your classic looking dive, nice in house movement, titanium case and bracelet (bulletproof), and it's too giant. You're not going to find a great drive watch that fits well with a suit, but it's as good as any. Plus it's a great improving brand. It's not Rolex's little brother that uses ETAs. It's becoming its own quality brand.
Farmer1906
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

great watches for the money

http://www.tudorwatch.com/watches/heritage-black-bay/m79230r-0001

Didn't even read the response until after I posted. You must not have terrible taste.
SO*TX*AG09
That's a great looking watch. Not familiar with the company though.

To clarify.. I wear suits maybe once a month. Long sleeves dress shirts every day, and fishing shirts every weekend
aggiepaintrain
AG
Tudor = Rolex's budget friendly line
Guitarsoup
AG
Tudor is basically Rolex Lite. So Toyota made Lexus to have a higher end product. Rolex made Tudor to make a lower end product. Still a very good watch, just not $10k+ like Rolex.
schmendeler
AG
Not that there's any danger of me buying one anytime in the near future, but is the shape of the hour hand universal across the line? It is really ugly to me.
Guitarsoup
AG
schmendeler said:

Not that there's any danger of me buying one anytime in the near future, but is the shape of the hour hand universal across the line? It is really ugly to me.
I agree, and I think it is just on the dive watches.
Farmer1906
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Tudor is basically Rolex Lite. So Toyota made Lexus to have a higher end product. Rolex made Tudor to make a lower end product. Still a very good watch, just not $10k+ like Rolex.

That may have been the case at one time, but no longer. Other than being owned by the same parent company they are different. Different in house movements, different production facilities, & now very different looking models being introduced. I think the north flag looks great.
Farmer1906
AG
schmendeler said:

No love for the snowflake.
captkirk
AG
aggie1906 said:

Guitarsoup said:

That may have been the case at one time, but no longer. Other than being owned by the same parent company they are different. Different in house movements, different production facilities, & now very different looking models being introduced. I think the north flag looks great.
Ive got two of them and they are great watches
schmendeler
AG
not the ugly ones!
Post removed:
by user
First Page Last Page
Page 31 of 392

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.