Houston
Sponsored by

Gaslamp in the news

29,557 Views | 239 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by CheeseSndwch
schmellba99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nope, never came up.

And honestly, who cares? They get to run their business how they want to. You don't like it? Don't spend money there. Pretty simple really.
Texaggie7nine
quote:
Nope, never came up.

And honestly, who cares? They get to run their business how they want to. You don't like it? Don't spend money there. Pretty simple really.
I'm completely fine with letting them operate their business as they desire, but the video seems to display blatant racism.

Personally I think if we didn't have these anti-descriminatory laws when it comes to private businesses then racist business owners would be more likely to make their racist views known and it would be much easier for me to know which businesses I will not give my money to. They would either have to live with a small niche market of racist *******s who I wouldn't shed a tear if a bomb blew them all up, or go out of business because no decent human would do business with them.
7nine
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
Nope, never came up.

I'm all for small business rights, but the problem here is possible violations of public accommodation laws. Should a business be allowed to operate as they see fit without government intrusion? Yes. Should a business be allowed to operation in violation of federal law? No.
Texan76
quote:
quote:
Nope, never came up.

I'm all for small business rights, but the problem here is possible violations of public accommodation laws. Should a business be allowed to operate as they see fit without government intrusion? Yes. Should a business be allowed to operation in violation of federal law? No.
Do we need public accommodation laws in 2015? No.

But guess what, we keep adding more of these and more protected classes. Yippee!
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Nope, never came up.

But guess what, we keep adding more of these and more protected classes. Yippee!
Did we need them in 1964? Depends on who you ask.

Do we need them in 2015? Depends on who you ask.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
quote:
Nope, never came up.

Pretty sure bars and night clubs are not included in the public accommodation laws in the same manner that restaurants and other businesses are.

I don't care who and how much they charge personally. No skin off my back as I've never stepped foot in the place and odds are high I never will. I just don't have a problem with a business owner deciding how to run their business, even if I think they are d-bags. Like 79 said, this gives us all the opportunity to go elsewhere and for them to not get out money.

Seems pretty simple of a solution to me.
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Nope, never came up.

Pretty sure bars and night clubs are not included in the public accommodation laws in the same manner that restaurants and other businesses are.

I don't care who and how much they charge personally. No skin off my back as I've never stepped foot in the place and odds are high I never will. I just don't have a problem with a business owner deciding how to run their business, even if I think they are d-bags. Like 79 said, this gives us all the opportunity to go elsewhere and for them to not get out money.

Seems pretty simple of a solution to me.

Title II of the 1964 Civil Rights Act:
quote:
SEC. 201. (a) All persons shall be entitled to the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, and privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, as defined in this section, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin.
(b) Each of the following establishments which serves the public is a place of public accommodation within the meaning of this title if its operations affect commerce, or if discrimination or segregation by it is supported by State action:
(1) any inn, hotel, motel, or other establishment which provides lodging to transient guests, other than an establishment located within a building which contains not more than five rooms for rent or hire and which is actually occupied by the proprietor of such establishment as his residence;
(2) any restaurant, cafeteria, lunchroom, lunch counter, soda fountain, or other facility principally engaged in selling food for consumption on the premises, including, but not limited to, any such facility located on the premises of any retail establishment; or any gasoline station;
(3) any motion picture house, theater, concert hall, sports arena, stadium or other place of exhibition or entertainment; and
(4) any establishment (A)(i) which is physically located within the premises of any establishment otherwise covered by this subsection, or (ii) within the premises of which is physically located any such covered establishment, and (B) which holds itself out as serving patrons of such covered establishment.
I believe Gaslamp would fall under Sec. 201(b)(2) as they serve food for consumption on premises.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I tend to agree with 79. We need a couple dewsh magnets to keep them concentrated. They'll still periodically drift off into normal bars and annoy the regular customers, but it's not as bad.

I think the three attorneys in the OP provided a valuable public service in identifying this particular vinegar dump. I thank them for that, and I will continue to not patronize the business. But we don't need new laws to enforce good taste.
schmellba99
AG
Read your bolded part - it says "principally engaged". Places like Gaslamp are not principally engaged in serving food, they are principally engaged in serving alcohol. That is why there are 51% signs for CHL and what not.
Texan76
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Nope, never came up.

If you asked dumbasses in 1964, they would say no.

If you asked dumbasses in 2015, they would say yes.

So it is true that it depends on who you ask.
Ag of Enlightenment
AG
having worked several "club jobs" in the past and conversed with dozens of officers and deputies who've done the same, almost all "high end" or trying to be "high end" clubs have what could be seen as racist practices regarding who their doormen let in. The more "exclusive" the club is, the worse they are. They deny most minorities and unattractive people left and right, unless of course you're a celebrity of some sort. As newer clubs open up and that particular club is no longer the new hip thing, they lax their attitudes. this continues until the club eventually closes or starts having "urban night." That is basically the life cycle of 95% of all night clubs.
Jock 07
AG
Dallas is supposed to be the town with a bunch of pretentious ****tards
The Wonderer
AG
You are referring to a state prescribed definition with respect to the CHL law. CRA 1964 was a federal law and probably won't hold to a state definition.
CrossBowAg99
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Nope, never came up.

So you are a dumb ass? I am pretty sure that you went to UT
Texan76
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Nope, never came up.

So you are a dumb ass? I am pretty sure that you went to UT
No. And no.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
You are referring to a state prescribed definition with respect to the CHL law. CRA 1964 was a federal law and probably won't hold to a state definition.
This is why I hate law - you can continue to split the hairs to an infinite point. You win, please go bring down the wrath of the DOJ upon this establishment. Burn it to the ground, piss on the ashes and let's just go ahead and go Muslim on the owners and have them stoned to death in public as a warning to everybody else.

Seems that is the only real answer in this horrifying situation that evidently needs a Ferguson-esque response from the entire world.
The Wonderer
AG
Not advocating that at all. They wanna dewsh it up, they can dewsh up. As said, they are like the bug zapper that draws the dewshes from the other bars. Just pointing out how I think they could be attacked.
herb96
AG
Gaslamp in the news again, lol.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/undercover-at-midtown-bars/35935308
AggieC07
AG
Meh, not that bad I guess.

But still not ever going back.
Third Coast Horn
Sounds like the place to be iyam.

I asked my buddy about it and he said, "Yeah, they are a little racist, but not to me. Fine *****es everywhere too."
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
Texas does not have public accommodation laws.
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
quote:
Texas does not have public accommodation laws.
The federal government does.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Yes, I am aware.
The Wonderer
AG
That's why your previous post doesn't make sense.
Ryan the Temp
AG
The post made reference to state laws, so my response was purely informational.
The Wonderer
AG
I meant state definition in general as the CHL law was being referenced regarding the the CRA 1964 language. Never referred to anything relating to a state accommodation law.
Ryan the Temp
AG
My mistake. Thanks.
DRDave
There about to be more important things in live than this topic. Just mind thought.
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
There about to be more important things in live than this topic. Just mind thought.
Put.The.Flask.Down.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Liquid lunches.
Chewy
AG
I love Gaslamp holding strong to, "It's not that you're brown. It's just that U - G - L - Y, you ain't got no alibi. You ugly."

I love the owner, "Look at me. I ain't white." He's just saying his favorite color is green. Capitalism baby!
Diggity
AG
and in the least surprising news of the day.......

Lawsuit planned amid Gaslamp racial allegations
IrishTxAggie
AG
I'd love to punch that lawyer Sutherland guy in the face. It looks very punchable... You know... For a chef and all.
tylercsbn9
AG
How much will they get for their hurt feels?
Texaggie7nine
I'm currently looking for representation on my lawsuit against Backyard on Northgate. The black group in front of me I saw was charged $5 for cover then the bouncer asked for $10 for me. Of coursed I laughed and said I wouldn't even pay $1 cover to get into a bar and left but I felt discriminated against none the less.
7nine

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.