Houston
Sponsored by

Gaslamp in the news

29,530 Views | 239 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by CheeseSndwch
AggieC07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I heard good things about La Grange not a big fan of Hay Merchant. Etros is pretty fun every once in a while.
Texaggie7nine
I guess my beer snobbery has turned me into a crochety old man. I could care less about the crowd at the bar, all I care about is what good beer the bar has to offer. I'd take a bar full of meathead *****ers with premium craft beer selection over a bar of great people who are fun to be around with just bud and miller.
7nine
Catch
AG
quote:
I guess my beer snobbery has turned me into a crochety old man. I could care less about the crowd at the bar, all I care about is what good beer the bar has to offer. I'd take a bar full of meathead *****ers with premium craft beer selection over a bar of great people who are fun to be around with just bud and miller.
And this is why we can't hang out. I drink Bud Light regardless unless it's not available. Then I'm in a whole world of confusion trying to find something I like.
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
quote:
And this is why we can't hang out. I drink Bud Light regardless unless it's not available. Then I'm in a whole world of confusion trying to find something I like.
Don't go back to Boheme. I was so confused.
Texaggie7nine
You ever do brewery tours Catch?
7nine
RK
AG
#teamcatch

if you like expensive beer and hate people...just stay home. I like cheap beer and hate people, so that serves me, as well.
IrishTxAggie
AG
I've seen you take shots, so if there is no Bud Light and hard liquor you should be safe right? Also, gonna be at the normal place tomorrow for the games?
Texaggie7nine
quote:
#teamcatch

if you like expensive beer and hate people...just stay home. I like cheap beer and hate people, so that serves me, as well.
Lots of bars have beers you cannot buy at a store. And many beers taste so much better out of the tap.
7nine
IrishTxAggie
AG
quote:
quote:
#teamcatch

Lots of bars have beers you cannot buy at a store. And many beers taste so much better out of the tap.
Beer snobs...
Texaggie7nine
quote:
quote:
quote:
#teamcatch

Beer snobs...
It's funny, if some came on a steak thread and said they don't like steak snobs and think that a Ribeye at Outback is just as good as any other place, I doubt you would agree with them.
7nine
Diggity
AG
IrishTxAggie
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
#teamcatch

Beer snobs...
It's funny, if some came on a steak thread and said they don't like steak snobs and think that a Ribeye at Outback is just as good as any other place, I doubt you would agree with them.
Outback!!!
Catch
AG
quote:
You ever do brewery tours Catch?
Yeah, I'm not opposed to trying different beers, but when I go out drinking I stick with old faithful.
I generally find that if I start drinking heavier, higher ABV beers I still pound them like Bud Light which doesn't usually work out too well for me. Also, mixing a variety of different beers does a number on my stomach.
Catch
AG
quote:
I've seen you take shots, so if there is no Bud Light and hard liquor you should be safe right? Also, gonna be at the normal place tomorrow for the games?
Man, I have no clue what's happening in that regard. I got a charity work thing I have to go to earlier in the day and it sounds like everyone else is hitting up other **** prior to the game. So no clue if we'll actually have our regular table saved. So I'm just playing it by ear and finding out where everyone is after my work event.
Texaggie7nine
I didn't mean necessarily to go for the beer, but tours are fun, so I was wondering if you were willing to not have bud in order to enjoy a fun tour.
7nine
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
quote:
Man, I have no clue what's happening in that regard. I got a charity work thing I have to go to earlier in the day and it sounds like everyone else is hitting up other **** prior to the game. So no clue if we'll actually have our regular table saved. So I'm just playing it by ear and finding out where everyone is after my work event.
Party in Midtown? It has been awhile and I've missed the TNDCs lately.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Gotcha. Shoot me a text. I'm sure I'll be down there somewhere around our game.
Catch
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Party in Midtown? It has been awhile and I've missed the TNDCs lately.
Haven't really been any TNDC's lately. Kinda gave up on them about a year and a half ago. I figured Id had a good run of drinking every Tuesday for just over 12 years. Was just too much effort to stay at the office until 5 in order to go out drinking when I could be back home on the couch at 4. A buddy will occasionally shoot one out now once a month, but he usually picks family friendly joints so people can bring their kids, which totally defeats the purpose of going out drinking...
schmellba99
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
#teamcatch

Beer snobs...
That's because good steak is an important topic.

Being snobbish over a beer that tastes like week old Brazos river water that has stagnated in a pool the local alligators use to **** in and that a skunk wouldn't even lower himself to drink is just silly.
The Wonderer
AG
Yeah, I noticed a few starting to come across again. Didn't pay them much mind as I've been stuck at the office later than normal the last few weeks.
Texaggie7nine
quote:
I got a charity work thing I have to go to earlier in the day
Is this what you are calling scrip clubbing now?
7nine
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
quote:
I got a charity work thing I have to go to earlier in the day
Is this what you are calling scrip clubbing now?
Daycare payments
The Wonderer
AG
So Gaslamp's attorney/cook is about to be on the Matt Patrick show (hosted by Producer Kenny while Patrick is out with cancer treatment) on AM 950. I can't wait.
tmaggie50
AG
Got a review?
The Wonderer
AG
Got busy and missed it. You pull the podcast and use my post timestamp as a reference to where it's at.
dreyOO
quote:
Cheap drinks were always a plus there. Went for a St. Arnold's Pub Crawl a few years back and it was a ghost town inside compared to the other places, but you can't beat $2 domestics. Although I always found BRB to be extremely discriminatory...Nothing but bottom-less chapped gentlemen posted on the wall and not a single bottom-less chapped woman. I'm surprised Mayor Porker didn't intervene on what would have been such an obvious discrimination suit.

Places like La Grange, Hay Merchant, and Boheme are significantly better than anything Midtown has now.

La Grange reminds me of a college crowd or recently removed. That's probably exactly what most midtowners want.

Somebody mentioned Etro...man, has that place gone downhill or is it just me and my old age? Place seems to need a power washing on the inside ... along with most of its customers.
Token
AG
LaGrange is effing awesome. White pants, white shorts, everywhere
88jrt06
AG
quote:
LaGrange is effing awesome. White pants, white shorts, everywhere

Some on women!
ChipFTAC01
AG
Downtown after the Astros game last night was slammed. I haven't been down there past happy hour in a while. All of the bars were packed.
Diggity
AG
It was. Bovine and Barley ended up having a good crowd.
ChipFTAC01
AG
We were just looking to grab one more quick drink so we walked up to Not Molly's (the Irish bar across from Molly's that I never can remember it's name). It was basically a bunch of old guys hiding out from all of the crowds. Kind of funny.
drumboy
AG
quote:
We were just looking to grab one more quick drink so we walked up to Not Molly's (the Irish bar across from Molly's that I never can remember it's name). It was basically a bunch of old guys hiding out from all of the crowds. Kind of funny.

Shae McElroys I think. I've been one of those old guys a time or two.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
So Gaslamp's attorney/cook is about to be on the Matt Patrick show (hosted by Producer Kenny while Patrick is out with cancer treatment) on AM 950. I can't wait.
It wasn't anything special. Kenny was pretty easy on him, and the dude really didn't come off as a monster d-bag like I expected him to.

He basically said that these guys were int he VIP line, which unless you have a card or are a scantily clad chick with scantily clad friends, you are going to pay a cover anyway. They got pissed and claimed it was because they were black that they were being charged a cover, and that the public has already crucified Gaslamp and he wasn't sure there was much more he could say.

They did bring up that groups of guys almost always get charged cover, and that their goal is around 50/50 and that it's no secret that being a hot chick or knowing a bouncer is likely to get you free entrance.
Texaggie7nine
quote:
quote:
It wasn't anything special. Kenny was pretty easy on him, and the dude really didn't come off as a monster d-bag like I expected him to.

He basically said that these guys were int he VIP line, which unless you have a card or are a scantily clad chick with scantily clad friends, you are going to pay a cover anyway. They got pissed and claimed it was because they were black that they were being charged a cover, and that the public has already crucified Gaslamp and he wasn't sure there was much more he could say.

They did bring up that groups of guys almost always get charged cover, and that their goal is around 50/50 and that it's no secret that being a hot chick or knowing a bouncer is likely to get you free entrance.
Did he explain the vid of the white chick getting in for free then them asking her black friends for a cover?
7nine
Al Bula
AG
Yawn. Are people still butt hurt about paying cover?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.