Houston
Sponsored by

Gaslamp in the news

29,523 Views | 239 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by CheeseSndwch
Head Ninja In Charge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lawyer is a beast on Instagram.

https://instagram.com/timmychew/
RK
AG
he went to south bend for the sip game. lol.
UndergroundAg
"Timmy Chew"....
AggieC07
AG
quote:
Midtown is on a decline. Downtown has come out with a number of good places and I think that's the move the young crowd makes next.
I hope not, I've noticed that the downtown crowd appears to be a little bit older (late 20s early 30s). I hope it stays with that demographic. Could be wrong - I've only been out in downtown a few times.
HBCanine08
AG
quote:
quote:
Midtown is on a decline. Downtown has come out with a number of good places and I think that's the move the young crowd makes next.
I hope not, I've noticed that the downtown crowd appears to be a little bit older (late 20s early 30s). I hope it stays with that demographic. Could be wrong - I've only been out in downtown a few times.
It's cyclical. Always has been. Downtown used to be "the spot" at one point. Then it wasn't. Now it's getting back there.

I am still waiting for Richmond to pick back up, though.
AggieC07
AG
I work in Greenway Plaza, what area on Richmond are you talking about? I'd be interested in checking this area out.
Diggity
AG
no you wouldn't
Texaggie7nine
quote:
I work in Greenway Plaza, what area on Richmond are you talking about? I'd be interested in checking this area out.

Do you have a time machine that goes back to the early to mid 90s?
7nine
HBCanine08
AG
quote:
quote:

Do you have a time machine that goes back to the early to mid 90s?

MONICA
Furlock Bones
AG
quote:
quote:
i really hope it stays this way as well. there's some really good stuff down here with actual working professionals.
redag06
Downtown will change quite a bit as we closer to the Super Bowl.
Cris_Dishman
Downtown is already too crowded. It was cooler 9-12 months ago before everybody started going there.
Tom Hagen
AG
quote:
I am still waiting for Richmond to pick back up, though.

I've never left.
Post removed:
by user
HtownAg92
AG
quote:
Downtown is already too crowded. It was cooler 9-12 months ago before everybody started going there.
Chewy
AG
Downtown will build until Super Bowl and then that crowd will break it down again.

I'm thinking its time to open City Streets back up. Anyone want to be a ground floor investor with me???
HBCanine08
AG
Pink Monkey or GTFO
MAS444
AG
City Streets was awesome circa 1995-6.
MouthBQ98
AG
That was more my era, during the summers at least...
Texaggie7nine
http://www.houstonpress.com/news/gaslamp-owner-wants-out-says-allegations-of-racism-have-hurt-me-more-than-anybody-else-7794287

Looks like ownership is trying to bail.
7nine
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Fun read:

http://blog.bennettandbennett.com/2015/09/2015-79-cook-lawyer-tim-sutherlands-attempts-to-cover-up-gaslamp-racism/
UndergroundAg
I am still baffled that Timmy Chew would be working in Gaslamp's kitchen. Wow!!
IrishTxAggie
AG
Anyone wanna go halvsies on owning a deuschtastic bar in the middle of midtown?
South Platte
What a thread. If a place wants to charge you, then it's because you don't belong there. Don't be oblivious. This stuff maintains social order. Middle eastern guys wearing off the rack long sleeve shirt with slacks and sneakers, I'm talking to you. I don't belong there either, so I don't show up like I'm somebody.
drumboy
AG
Anybody remember the old Dirt Bar on Yale? I used to love coin flip Tuesdays and one time I showed up and the door guy told me they were closed for a private party. When I told him that my buddy was already inside he let me in and just said that they were trying to keep a certain look, but he let me in. I guess I wasn't metal enough or maybe eyeliner would have helped.
fatrandy
Anyone else find it ironic that Gaslamp took the space of BRB, an old country and western gay bar?

I don't think they ever had a problem with a group of dudes coming in...
Texaggie7nine
We used to hit up BRB with 1 of our gay buddies who knew the bartender. We would get like 5 to 1 alcohol poured drinks for around $5. Then venture on to the straight expensive bars.

Plus it was always fun to watch 2 lesbos dressed as cowboys make out on the dance floor.
7nine
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Guess they should have thought twice about telling their door guys to use this card:

IrishTxAggie
AG
Get liquored and lubed up before hitting on the womens... Plus the gay people will tell you whether or not you're dressed appropriately to hit on the straight women.
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
quote:

I think the lack of parking downtown will help prevent it from going full bore ******/ghetto etc
IrishTxAggie
AG
Uber...
MAS444
AG
You must not have been around here after the 2004 Super Bowl.
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
You must not have been around here after the 2004 Super Bowl.

Lot less ample parking downtown now versus 2004.
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
Uber...

A lot harder to uber in from the wherever those people come from that drive.
fatrandy
Cheap drinks were always a plus there. Went for a St. Arnold's Pub Crawl a few years back and it was a ghost town inside compared to the other places, but you can't beat $2 domestics. Although I always found BRB to be extremely discriminatory...Nothing but bottom-less chapped gentlemen posted on the wall and not a single bottom-less chapped woman. I'm surprised Mayor Porker didn't intervene on what would have been such an obvious discrimination suit.

Places like La Grange, Hay Merchant, and Boheme are significantly better than anything Midtown has now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.