Houston
Sponsored by

Houston Country Clubs

48,792 Views | 103 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by DRE06
f burg ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Which ones do you recommend? I like to play golf but do not need a Fazio designed course to have fun. Wife would like a nice pool and club house amenities. Initiation price is a factor, but would spend up to 30k.

Oh yeah, and we live in South/Southwest Houston.
RVAg02
AG
Braeburn country club. In ghetto (was there when area was nice) but nice place and probably fits your needs and location.
AeroAg1
AG
Houstonian
BarryProfit
I've been a member of both braeburn and sweetwater. I liked braeburn mucho better. Either will be fine for what you are wanting. It all depends on how far out of town you want to drive.
DRE06
AG
If you have a family, I can't imagine there's a club in Houston that can match what Sweetwater offers.
BarryProfit
Meh, the courses are just ok and there are so many members that it can sometimes be tough to get on. That kind of defeats the purpose of a club imho.
Clarendon
River Oaks!
ChipFTAC01
AG
A high school friend of mine said a lot of younger people are joining Riverbend. She lives in Sugar Creek, but doesn't know anyone joining SCCC.

I haven't played RB since high school, but I think they've pumped a lot of money into the course and facilities in the last few years.
HouAggie
AG
Riverbend
David_Puddy
AG
+1 to HouAggie's suggestion. Got a buddy that is a member there so I've played it several times. I want to say his dues are only like $300 a month or so. Great course and they keep it in awesome shape. Plus Bucky Richardson is a member there so there is a good chance you'll see him in the clubhouse bar having beers. I think I've seen him all but 1 time I've played there.
98Ag99Grad
AG
I'd like to join somewhere with guys closer to my age (35). I'm out at Hearthstone right now and am easily one of the youngest guys out there. I might check into Riverbend.
bilbobag
Whats the word on Royal Oaks??

Where's Riverbend?
Red Five
AG
Like Riverbend a lot. I think the course is better than either of Sweetwater or Sugar Creek's offerings.
BarryProfit
I've heard OK things about Royal Oaks, something like their clubhouse is under construction? Maybe that's not right but there was something going on there and I can't now remember.

I've heard good things about Reiverbend as well. Like all SL courses though, it's kind of far. That's always a factor to me when you are driving home at dusk after drinking beer and playing golf/cards for 10 hours.
bilbobag
I have heard some things about Royal Oaks. Curious what others might have to say.

I actually played golf and toured the facilities a month ago.. It's nice. Clubhouse was fine.
rosco511
AG
BraeBurn is the best choice. Tough course that is always in great condition, good membership, and good non-golf amenities.
David_Puddy
AG
Riverbend is pretty close to Dulles HS off of Dulles Ave.

If you join Royal Oaks you'll prolly see Clyde The Glide out there.
WhitefishAggie1999
AG
I would recommend Lakeside.
David_Puddy
AG
Heard Lakeside is nice, but doesn't it have pretty expensive initiation fees?
Swingdoc
I second Lakeside. Awesome course and they keep it in good shape. Royal Oaks is a fun course to play and the clubhouse is great. Royal Oaks may be better for a family than the others. Havent played Riverbend but I havent heard anything but good comments about it.
David Carr
I believe Lakeside is around $60k upfront but they my have some deal if you are under 35 years old. I would also suggest looking at Houstonian Golf Club. Great course and facilities.

Forgot to appease the Jocksniffers. Andre Ware is a member at the Houstonian.

[This message has been edited by David Carr (edited 1/20/2012 9:35a).]
Swingdoc
quote:
I would also suggest looking at Houstonian Golf Club.
This place gets overlooked. Awesome place.
Red Five
AG
quote:
Riverbend is pretty close to Dulles HS off of Dulles Ave.
Dulles is completely FUBARed right now, especially in front of Riverbend. No idea how long it will be until the construction is done.
David_Puddy
AG
Either way it's not hard to get in and out of.
MJ20/20
AG
98Aggrad99

What's wrong with Heartstone? It's one of the few places in houston that you can go to have a beer on a Tuesday at 7 and catch both the after Luby's crowd and the early 30's pops bought me a house in the stone and I'm on my 28th beer and third xanax of the day dumbass bunch. It is one of the better tracks in NW Houston.

Don't gamble with the Friday afternoon or Saturday morning rack. They turn in every card from other courses, yet only the tournament cards get turned in from Hearthstone. They've been playing out there for 30 years and while they may not strike the ball like they used to they probably average 21 putts a round. Sandbagging is one thing,but manicuring a handcap so you get 16 shots and shoot 74 is textbook Hearthstone.

That place was rockin' in the eighties and nineties.
Swingdoc
quote:
Sandbagging is one thing,but manicuring a handcap so you get 16 shots and shoot 74 is textbook Hearthstone.
Sounds like the kind of place we'd all want to join.

Harry Stone
AG
Houstonian is great. and you'd have access to Redstone
MJ20/20
AG
I wish I still had the picture to post, but there was a tournament out there where the second flight winner had a net 47. He had a 20 handicapp and fired a 4 under 67. Most clubs would have a lyching if this happend. Hell, at Champions we had a guy shoot 69 with a 9 handicapp and you would have thought someone punched Jackie Burke.
98Ag99Grad
AG
MJ20- sounds like you've played a few rounds there! I've experienced the racks firsthand and know what you're talking about. And those oldmen may only drive it 200 yards, but get to 100 yards and in, they'll kill you!

Don't get me wrong- there are alot of good guys there and the staff is super nice; but I'd like to play with a regular 4-some and not be the only one without grandkids or a kid in college.
bilbobag
quote:
I'd like to play with a regular 4-some and not be the only one without grandkids or a kid in college

I feel the same way..
Diggity
AG
my brother was looking at Lakeside and it sounds like the junior membership initiation fee wasn't too terrible.

they're apparently trying to get some younger blood in there.
MJ20/20
AG
How young does the blood need to be? Is this youngblood enough?

David_Puddy
AG
Diggity - my buddy got in on that deal as well. I want to play it soon but the $120 guest fees are a little steep for my blood.
Ashin Kusher
Lakeside isn't bad if you can dodge the gheys and ethnics.

The Stone is your best bet if you’re in the NW side of town. It's the only CC in town where you can get a hot dog and an HJ at the turn. Also if you’re looking for some deals on cheap insurance there are a couple of guys in the neighborhood offering great rates.......

Finn Maccumhail
AG
IIRC, the junior membership at Lakeside has a $35K initiation for under 35. Full initiation is like $70-75K.

HCC is around $100K I believe and ROCC is like $125K.

I know Braeburn is aggressively trying to bring in younger members but I'm not sure of the fees involved.

Houstonian is probably around $30K, just the health club is like $12K.

I'm not much of a golfer but have been looking at Houston Yacht Club & Lakewood. Both have smaller club-owned sailboats for member use. And I know Lakewood has a reciprocal with the Briar Club.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.