Houston
Sponsored by

Houston Country Clubs

48,794 Views | 103 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by DRE06
Ragoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
How far off do you think?

It is closer to 50k.
OA_02
AG
I would encourage guys to check out Redstone/golf club of Houston. You get access to 5 courses and it is reasonable in terms of initiation and monthly dues.
Sazerac
AG
And nowhere near where I live or work
Aggie1391
Riverbend (unless you're over 50, already too many of those guys around).
OA_02
AG
Someone mentioned Houstonian, and I believe that is part of the Golf Club of Houston Membership group.
sixbarag
Sponsor
AG
Houstonian Golf soon to be Black Hawk Golf Country Club.
POW
AG
Our division President is at Royal Oaks. Played it a handful of times but can't comment on prices. Think the guest fee is $120-150 when I go out and play with him. Company covers all his club expenses though. One of our VP's is out at Houstonian, played there once & I liked it better (probably because it was more open than RO & I suck), I get more of that uppity country club snobbish feel from people at Royal Oaks, everyone at Houstonian was really nice - had a good vibe there. My BIL used to be a cart guy at Sweetwater, says it is filled with Asians & just a lot of members overall although I think last I heard there costs had gotten pretty cheap, not sure though.

No experiences with the other courses.
98Ag99Grad
AG
If it wasn't out of your specified area I'd recommend Golfcrest. I left Hearthstone and joined there a couple of years ago and love it.
1Aggie99
AG
anyone a member at Pine Forest off of Clay rd?
Aggie1391
Oops, was thinking of Pinecrest

[This message has been edited by Aggie1391 (edited 5/5/2014 9:52p).]
DRE06
AG
quote:
anyone a member at Pine Forest off of Clay rd?

1) Notoriously great greens
2) Incredible new resort-style pool
3) Super affordable Junior Executive rates

There are better private golf courses, but not for the price, location, and amenity base.
Ragoo
AG
What us the cost dre?
DRE06
AG
From last year.
quote:
Young Executive is until age 43.

$2000 initiation;
Dues
$339 (39-42)
$293 (36-38)
$247 (33-35)
$203 (21-32)

$25/month capital dues
$75/month food/bev minimum
$14 cart fee
Weekend guest fee $64 + cart

[This message has been edited by Dre06 (edited 6/26/2013 2:26p).]
Westicles
AG
Does anyone know the latest junior membership specs at Lakeside?
Samuel E. Cronkowitz
AG
Here's Lakesides info from 2011:

Full:
$58,300 Initiation
$555/mo dues

Jr:
$17,500 Initiation
under age 32 - $277.50/mo
ages 32-35 - $360.75/mo
over age 35 (i believe until 40) - $471.75/mo

Jr Legacy:
$13,750 Initiation
same dues as Jr
Brennan Huff
What are the dues out at Riverbend these days?
Aggie1391
Not sure about the full member costs at Riverbend, but if you're under 27 its 250 initiation and 200 a month plus carts. If you're between 28 and 32, its 500 initiation and 300 a month. Based off linearity, I'm assuming 33-40 is 750 initiation and 400 a month.
Westicles
AG
I wonder what the waitlist for junior membership at Lakeside is, if any. It's enticing if the junior membership truly goes until age 40 before you owe the full membership initiation.
Samuel E. Cronkowitz
AG
I'm guessing those numbers are probably ~10-20% light compared to what they are today (initiations, at least).

Not sure on the Jr wait list, but there isnt one for Full Membership.

Sazerac
AG
WestWood is $25k and $600/month. BraeBurn is nearly the same.
The monthly is a smooth $1k easy once you play, entertain, food and bev....
Thats pretty hefty....

The JR programs at all these places are pretty sweet....wish i would have done that a decade ago.

I could do Lakeside JR Legacy but Ive only got 2 yrs left before the big increase.
Sazerac
AG
Westwood says their memberships aren't transferable, so you can't sell to anyone or buy from anyone. It's also in a terrible area of town....

NorthHollywoodHenry
AG
Anyone have any info on junior member initiation fees and monthly fees at the Houstonian (now Black Hawk CC) or BraeBurn these days?
Westicles
AG
Braeburn CC junior is 5K until you're 35. Dues are around 300-350 I think. There is a wait list about 8-12 months long for Junior.
Westicles
AG
346+30 for a service fee to be exact (just looked it up).
ChipFTAC01
AG
So I grew up in a one country club town and when I was in high school in sugar land, everyone was just a member at the course they lived on. Do pepople change country clubs in Houston? Like maybe you start at a member at say Westwood, but as you climb the ladder you upgrade to one of the better clubs?
rononeill
any idea what brae burn looks like at full fare?
Westicles
AG
25K and $520 monthly.
Burner Username
I joined The Houstonian back in march with the jr exec rate and at that time it was the following:

Initiation: $18K, 10% discount if paid in full (so $16,200), plus tax brought it to $17,3xx.
Monthly: $365 for a single membership, $415 to include spouse. Don't know what it is for family because I don't have kids, but I want to say it's like $445 or something.

They also gave me 2 free months of dues, plus another $1500 bill credit which can be used for dues, cart fees, etc., so even though I joined in March I probably wont be paying anything monthly until the end of this month.

The golf course is incredible. Blows away Sweetwater, Braeburn, Sugar Creek, etc. I wouldn't say there are a ton of younger members out there, but there's enough of them to get some decent games going and most of the younger members are near scratch or better players. There's a fair share of older guys carrying 20+ handicaps as well. Everybody I've met out there with the exception of Andre Ware and his crew are really good guys though. If you end up joining and want to meet some younger guys let me know.
aggiechance
AG

[This message has been edited by aggiechance (edited 7/2/2014 3:14p).]
God-Family-Friends-Ag FB
Could have sworn someone recently mentioned some base level membership to a few nice woodlands courses that was like $150-180 a month after a modest initiation fee. Anyone heard of this? Yes I realize it's The Woodlands, but these were nice courses he mentioned and the price sounded too good to be true.
bilbobag
quote:
Blows away Sweetwater, Braeburn, Sugar Creek,

I was a member at Shadow Hawk until I left to go to Brae Burn 2 years ago.. Houstonian is a good track but Brae Burn I would give the edge due to better playing conditions and better manicured.

The slight course improvements as a result of the capital improvement will make the course even better and play harder..

Be wary of the managing group, escalante, at Houstonian.

[This message has been edited by Bilbobag (edited 7/2/2014 8:27p).]
aggiemike89
AG
I got a membership to the Redneck Country Club for my birthday last week. Saw ETC last Friday and had a great time.
aggiemike89
AG
I got a membership to the Redneck Country Club for my birthday last week. Saw ETC last Friday and had a great time.
BarryProfit
Agree that bburn > houstonian, plus, if you live in town, it's a no brainer.
DRE06
AG
quote:
Agree that bburn > houstonian, plus, if you live in town, it's a no brainer.

Location of The Houstonian is a deal killer unless you are in Cinco/Katy.

There is no such thing as leaving work and playing an afternoon round is you work in town.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.