Metroplex
Sponsored by

1310 The Ticket - Hardline Question

2,243,341 Views | 19958 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by dave94
zag213004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pour one out for line 4 guy
380Ag
AG
I think they are greatly overestimating how many listeners will actually follow them to a new format.
AgGrad99
AG
They have to bring in new blood, right?

They cant roll with Donnie and Sean Bass for 5 hours a day...
beagle2009
AG
Not gonna lie, hearing Bob break down / fight through tears kind of got to me
bthotugigem05
AG
AgGrad99 said:

They have to bring in new blood, right?

They cant roll with Donnie and Sean Bass for 5 hours a day...
After getting rid of Norm/Dan/Jake's salaries, they should have enough to bring in a decent name.
zag213004
AG
jub talking about how the ratings for the best they've been. I think a lot of it is to the fact they stopped pushing a lot of political stuff that a lot of people were very turned off by. And the fact that they brought in Gordo for a segment on two of main shows besides his own
Hincemm
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

It was clear that they were offered most of what they wanted
i didn't get that impression at all.

in their youtube, dan said their offer from cumulus was a 'non-starter.'
Goldie Wilson
Lol at Corby taking credit for Jake's career. Also he can't understand why anybody would leave the Ticket. No **** Corby, you make $800k and don't do ***** Probably a bit different for Dan and Jake.
AgGrad99
AG
I wonder how much the hosts make these days.
Just Tired
they went out of their way to position dan and jake as liars if they turn up at the freak.
Bones08
AG
Part of the allure of The Ticket is the cross-show relationships, especially for the afternoon shows. Any show on an island is a fraction of itself in my opinion.

Like, I've listened to the Musers for years and they are my radio leaders, but if they announced they were leaving to start a Podcast I would be incredibly bummed out. I would probably listen for a bit but I think unless they really wowed me with something different I would eventually just fall off.

Basically, I just think from a selfish perspective I don't know how whatever Dan and Jake move onto, especially if its podcasts, will be an improvement in content for me. But maybe they will surprise me.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Hincemm said:

mavsfan4ever said:

I'm talking about the segment this morning at 8:15. The hosts said they got a lot of what they were asking for. It they just wanted to leave. They were all kinda confused by it.
AgGrad99
AG
Just Tired said:

they went out of their way to position dan and jake as liars if they turn up at the freak.
I didnt really get that impression.

They all wanted them to stay, tried to get them to stay, but in the end Dan and Jake just wanted to try something different.

That's basically the same thing Jake said.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Well if Jake and Dan are outright lying to them then I don't blame them for doing this. No hard feelings if Dan and Jake just say hey we we're offered alot more money annd a drive time spot and can't pass it up. But if they lie to their faces and say they aren't going to compete and then end up at the freak, that would piss me off if I was a current host.
AgGrad99
AG
Hincemm said:

mavsfan4ever said:

I think Dan was just giggling at the fact he was finally able to use that term during their negotiations. Not sure you can take too much from that.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Yea that's a long running joke on the hang zone.
Old Tom Morris
380Ag said:

I think they are greatly overestimating how many listeners will actually follow them to a new format.

This right here. They are in a fizzling industry and seemingly walked away from a deal because they thought it was too low vs what they want, but unless they are sandbagging big-time, it doesn't seem like they have a great handle on what their alternative is going to be

You get big by being national, so maybe they are hoping they could pull something like that off via podcast/streaming. I don't see it. Unfortunately for them their skillset most fits the fizzling terrestrial radio industry
Just Tired
you'd think with the years of ijb jake would have a pretty good idea of how tough it is to build a podcast audience... and based on the youtube announcement they are clearly not men made for video.
hoosier-daddy
The Freak is allowing Julie to do both & apparently Cumulus wouldnt allow it. Risky move but no doubt Julie makes more money from her podcast sponsors than she does on The Freak.

https://www.themomgamepod.com/services

I hope they follow a similar path as Julie & Emily. If they go behind a pay wall, I'll be saying my goodbyes to Dan & Jake.
AgGrad99
AG
Was Julie not doing that podcast when she worked at the Ticket? I thought her and Emily Jones were...
t - cam
AG
Goldie Wilson said:

Lol at Corby taking credit for Jake's career. Also he can't understand why anybody would leave the Ticket. No **** Corby, you make $800k and don't do ***** Probably a bit different for Dan and Jake.

I believe Dan was one of the highest paid hosts. He and Bob got drive time money when they were about to leave a decade or so ago.
t - cam
AG
Old Tom Morris said:

380Ag said:

This right here. They are in a fizzling industry and seemingly walked away from a deal because they thought it was too low vs what they want, but unless they are sandbagging big-time, it doesn't seem like they have a great handle on what their alternative is going to be

You get big by being national, so maybe they are hoping they could pull something like that off

My guess is YouTube if they are really wanting to get more creative. YouTube as a format pays very well once you have a follower base built up.
AggieFactor
AG
Hincemm said:

mavsfan4ever said:

If what they wanted is do podcasting plus certain pay/benefits, and they were offered all the pay/benefits but a directive to not do a certain type of podcasting (some is obviously allowed since Jake has IJB, Gordo has twitch), then they did get most of what they asked for but the podcasting exclusion would make negotiations a non-starter.
Old Tom Morris
And a totally different offer
Hincemm
AG
Old Tom Morris said:

And a totally different offer
two totally different offers!
Coates
Is there any way to listen to that? I'm too far ahead on the stream.
Hincemm
AG
Hincemm
AG
also...

edit: work for free is misleading. worked beyond contract is more accurate...
hoosier-daddy
AggieFactor said:

Hincemm said:

mavsfan4ever said:

If what they wanted is do podcasting plus certain pay/benefits, and they were offered all the pay/benefits but a directive to not do a certain type of podcasting (some is obviously allowed since Jake has IJB, Gordo has twitch), then they did get most of what they asked for but the podcasting exclusion would make negotiations a non-starter.

IJB doesn't have advertisers/sponsors. My guess is this is where the impasse lies
AgGrad99
AG
Hincemm said:

also...

edit: work for free is misleading. worked beyond contract is more accurate...

That's pretty dumb. Corby just repeated Jake.

Jake said they realized they just wanted to try something different. he mentioned multiple times how long they'd been at the Ticket, it was their only adult job, etc etc...and they wanted to do something else.

Why do people have to blame someone?
walton91
I'm thinking you are correct. Just looked at Julie's website and they have quite a few sponsors, including some pretty big names. Julie and Emily also have speaking engagements, hosting events, emceeing events, etc. If Dan and Jake were to take a similar approach I would have to think there would be considerable overlap in target sponsors between the Ticket and Dan/Jake
MW03
AG
They posted their goodbye message on their youtube account with a three-camera set up. My guess is they want to take "Ticket Culture" and replicate Barstool, Fore Play, Outkick, etc. and break into the video podcasting space with advertiser/sponsor driven revenue as opposed to a subscription model for podcasting. I recall their "dragon's den" broadcasting during the covid and thinking it was a missed opportunity that there wasn't a video component to the ticket stuff.

It makes sense if you think about the "digital rights" comments. Maybe they wanted the ability to simulcast the radio program on youtube or the like and collect sponsorship revenue. Maybe they had tried in the past to use material from the radio show on youtube but weren't permitted to monetize it, so they stopped trying.

Either way, I think their attractiveness is intertwined with the Ticket itself and I'm not certain it carries. I get wanting to bet on yourself, but man. Jake has 54k on twitter. Dan has 79k. Their youtube channel has 2.5k subscribers. They just don't see like the kind of guys who would enjoy doing what it takes in the social media spaces to grow to the size to make decent money doing that work full time. Look at Mike Rhyner. He left the ticket and almost immediately started "My Dark Companion." Maybe it was to run out the clock until a noncompete ran and he could do the Freak thing, but regardless, I don't think it got much traction because he's not a self-promotion type of dude.

Now, if there is an enterprising entity out there that wants to finance these guys to move into the video podcasting space, that might be a different story. I could see someone investing in ticket personnel to create a version of Barstool, Outkick, Ringer, etc that has several components, including both multiple podcasts and written media. Whether that would be successful is a good question.

Personally, I think a lot of folks listen to the Ticket because it's on and it's easy during the work day. I just don't see myself seeking out Dan and Jake or Norm. About the only person I have sought out is Gordo and his Twitch streams on occasion. I would probably chase a Musers podcast if they ever go that route.
Macarthur
Agree with all this. The only group I would seek out on another platform is the musers (esp Gordo).
MW03
AG
walton91 said:

I'm thinking you are correct. Just looked at Julie's website and they have quite a few sponsors, including some pretty big names. Julie and Emily also have speaking engagements, hosting events, emceeing events, etc. If Dan and Jake were to take a similar approach I would have to think there would be considerable overlap in target sponsors between the Ticket and Dan/Jake

Good example. I think the difference is that Julie and Emily pull from various audiences and provide something that is somewhat unique in the space. I'm not sure Dan and Jake are different enough to make a dent without push and self-promote really, really hard. For a couple of dudes that mock Dude Perfect and how they do it, I wonder if they have what it takes. They are talented though.
Jack Ruby
The podcast/youtube/twitch stream market is absurdly over saturated right now. Everyone and their grandma is trying to break through. You'd have to get at least several hundred thousand views per episode and put one out every day to even come to close to making a living. Certainly nothing compared to what they made at the ticket.
First Page Last Page
Page 491 of 571

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.