Metroplex
Sponsored by

1310 The Ticket - Hardline Question

2,244,298 Views | 19967 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by double aught
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gomer95 said:

That he had a fever last night and was broadcasting from his home lol. For real that was it.
Also that he get 15 new pair of underwear, then he re-hashed his squared away list.
The Collective
AG
J.P. 03 said:

Would it qualify as an amazing, ironic note if the move to get all the hosts together to counter the Freak launch yesterday ends up backfiring spectacularly because Craig got them all sick?

I just want it to be known that this remains my favorite Norm moment. It reminds me so much of something my dad would do.
AgGrad99
AG
Bob Loblaws Law Blog said:

AgGrad99 said:

Quote:

Sirios Julie and Danny were forced out of The Ticket earlier this year.
Forced out?

Sirios was offered a role on the HL but apparently turned it down. He said yesterday he's got nothing but love for all the people over there, etc. According to him, he just needed to go make some money, and realized his opportunity to do that at the Ticket was minimal.
I missed this - was he offered Davey's role as third host? I find it hard to believe he would turn that down.
I dont know what role he was offered exactly, but it was mentioned when everything went down (maybe on Gordo's podcast with him).

Ervin Burrell
AG
Albatross Necklace said:

MaroonDontRun said:

MW03 said:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/commentary/2022/10/03/the-way-mike-rhyner-has-returned-to-dallas-radio-leaves-this-ticket-p1-awfully-conflicted/

Quote:

When I talked with Mike the day before The Freak's launch, I asked how he squares building a station on listener loyalty and then competing against his former partners for those same listeners.

"I don't have a real good answer for that right now," he said. "I realize I'm gonna have to square it in some way."
Quote:

Ticket program director Jeff Catlin told me he was as shocked as anyone when he first heard the rumors several weeks ago.

"I didn't believe it. And now I am really sad about it," he said. "Mike has a home on The Ticket for life, but he never contacted me about having the itch to get back on air."

Jeff doesn't understand why Mike never reached out to anyone at The Ticket about his plans.

"I didn't think it was their business," Mike told me when I asked why his longtime Ticket colleagues learned only through the grapevine of his plans to return.

Mike said sticking it to The Ticket or to owner Cumulus Media wasn't a motivator. But he followed up with the contention that he had been "minimized and marginalized" by almost everyone at the station.

Corby Davidson, who still works in the prestigious drive-time hours that he shared with Mike from January 2000 to his retirement 20 years later, said he has no idea what his former Hardline co-host means about being minimized.

"Mike was universally loved at The Ticket," Corby told me. "We hoisted him on our shoulders in retirement. We invited him to all our events. We had him on all our shows, as recently as August."

Corby said he and his colleagues believed Mike would always be the face and heartbeat of The Ticket. "He chose otherwise, and destroyed relationships that had been in existence for 30 years. It's heartbreaking and unconscionable."

I seem to remember Corby and Danny subtly taking shots at Mike periodically after retirement which I think gives away their attitude towards Mike. I think the nicname Snake is probably more appropriate than we realize.

Sirios Julie and Danny were forced out of The Ticket earlier this year.

Sirios and Julie got a spot at The Freak.

Danny didn't.

That says ALOT about Rhyner's opinion of Danny and by extension Corby.

Or that Danny wanted nothing to do with the new station.
Legal Custodian
AG
Rhyner mentioning feeling "minimized and marginalized" is probably The Ticket not including him in decision-making and bigger picture items anymore. Seeing as he used to run the thing and have a hand in everything they did, whenever Cumulus came in, they didn't need that guiding hand anymore. This led him to checking out.

I believe this is just Rhyner not wanting to be told what to do and what to talk about. He likes to control things and he didn't have that anymore at the Ticket. He left the Ticket but still had the itch to control and do something, this came along and he took it.
TV Casualty
AG
Ken Scarborough said:

The musers were talking Cowboys and Cooper Rush.
The Freak was talking about Julie's candy dish.

Is Julie's candy dish a euphemism for something
Chewy
AG
Man. I can't wait until The Freak talk settles down so some of us can belly ache about the content that's being produced on air.

Junior's fear of starting the next plague along with his bulk delivery of underwear was not nearly as intriguing as he thought.

It could have all been funny but he's too serious about it.
Rudyjax
AG
TV Casualty said:

Ken Scarborough said:

If only.
AgGrad99
AG

Why did The Ticket go away from call ins? Way back in the day, they used to take calls for a segment or two a day. I'd rather that, than some of the repeat segments.

For example Big Show Coming to Town and the Concert Calendar. Or the half a dozen 'pick games' segments (love Picks with Friends, dont really care about the rest).

Maybe the P1s would ruin it with too much schtick. But
double aught
AG
Ken Scarborough said:

TV Casualty said:

Ken Scarborough said:

If only.
Press box hot
MW03
AG

This is awesome for Grubes.
double aught
AG

Gomer95 said:

That he had a fever last night and was broadcasting from his home lol. For real that was it.
Also that he get 15 new pair of underwear, then he re-hashed his squared away list.
I tuned in halfway through. Was he saying that buying new tires makes him feel squared away? If so I vehemently disagree. There is maybe no purchase that's less satisfying than new tires.
double aught
AG
MW03 said:

This is awesome for Grubes.
Whatever. Can't even fix a horse's bones.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Sirois could have had the producer HL gig, so the same $45k per year job he had already which Danny had left because the $$$ sucked. Not 3rd host. And the later HL time slot would have taken away extra income he was earning with his brother. As he said on the twitch broadcast with Gordo, after his divorce he's under extreme financial pressure. Not making him 3rd host and then reacting with Davey was a big ****up by the Ticket
Legal Custodian
AG
double aught said:

Gomer95 said:

I tuned in halfway through. Was he saying that buying new tires makes him feel squared away? If so I vehemently disagree. There is maybe no purchase that's less satisfying than new tires.
Disagree there. Our water heater went out. Spent 1K+ to get a new one installed and up to code. It was the most unsatisfying purchase I've ever made as nothing changed. I had hot water before, I have hot water now.
double aught
AG
That's why I said maybe. Water heater is a good example. Though I did get some satisfaction out of installing one myself. New roof is another beating of a purchase.
PatAg
AG
I wonder if anyone else feels the same as me, or if I am just being resistant to change.

I really enjoyed BaD radio, where all 3 of Bob, Dan, and Jake would contribute. They had a really good mix.

I have found myself not really enjoying the new version of BaD radio, as I think they miss Bob balancing out their hot takes and somewhat calling them on him,

I think the new Hardline is not good, because Corby is just an inferior version of dan and jake. I wouldn't say I listen to it less, because I had already pretty much stopped listening to the Hardline consisting of Corby and Danny.
Davey is ok in small guest doses, but I don't really enjoy him on the Hardline.
powerbelly
AG
Bob was the steady hand that kept Jake and Dan from steering too far off course and they helped keep him form the hardcore sports rabbit hole. It was the perfect show IMO.
bthotugigem05
AG
powerbelly said:

Bob was the steady hand that kept Jake and Dan from steering too far off course and they helped keep him form the hardcore sports rabbit hole. It was the perfect show IMO.
I think if you replace Jake and Dan with Corby and Davey the same could be said of the Hardline. I think Cat didn't really have a choice, if he wanted to keep Sturm he needed to move him to a more prominent show, otherwise his other professional opportunities may have been too good of an offer.
powerbelly
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

powerbelly said:

I think if you replace Jake and Dan with Corby and Davey the same could be said of the Hardline. I think Cat didn't really have a choice, if he wanted to keep Sturm he needed to move him to a more prominent show, otherwise his other professional opportunities may have been too good of an offer.
I agree Cat didn't have a choice re: Sturm. I would have loved the hangzone to just move to afternoon drive. Cat would never demote his little buddy though.
Rudyjax
AG
Just Tired said:

Ken Scarborough said:

Tuned into the Ticket and the Freak this morning.

Riveting content.

If i had to choose between a Cowboys and a candy dish conversation, I'd go with the Cowboys.
true... when they're 3-and-1. 1-and-3 like many expected at this point might have made it a tougher decision. i'd take julie's candy dish over the rangers.
That's very true. I only like Cowboys talk after a win.

I can't stand it after a loss.

That' being said, both of those segments had me on XM 22.
AgGrad99
AG
PatAg said:

I wonder if anyone else feels the same as me, or if I am just being resistant to change.

I really enjoyed BaD radio, where all 3 of Bob, Dan, and Jake would contribute. They had a really good mix.

I have found myself not really enjoying the new version of BaD radio, as I think they miss Bob balancing out their hot takes and somewhat calling them on him,

I think the new Hardline is not good, because Corby is just an inferior version of dan and jake. I wouldn't say I listen to it less, because I had already pretty much stopped listening to the Hardline consisting of Corby and Danny.

Davey is ok in small guest doses, but I don't really enjoy him on the Hardline.
I like BaD radio. I think they've got a really good mix, and Jake did a good job of filling Bob's shoes. I like how that show brings in guys like Hamm and Blake. They've always done a good job of bringing in a lot of voices...Donnie, Julie, Jake, etc. etc.

Once Bob joined, the Hardline needed another voice to balance Corby's spareness. Sirois would have been absolutely perfect....very similar to Dan. It's obvious that Bob prepares for his discussions. He always has facts and stats, and a fresh perspectives to discussions. I struggle to name anything fresh Corby brings to the show, other than a tennis segment or two, which no one cares about. When is the last time he did a deep dive into anything?

I like Davey, but he didnt bring anything new to the show. When it's time, I wish they'd let Davey take over for Norm, and bring in someone new for the HL to compliment Bob better.
Just Tired
double aught said:

Ken Scarborough said:

TV Casualty said:

Ken Scarborough said:

If only.
Press box hot
Press hot box
East Dallas Ag
AG
If you thought it was bad then...
'03ag
double aught said:

Gomer95 said:

New Tire Day is awesome.
Old School Brother
AG
If you switched the heads on Corby and the blonde, would anyone notice?
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
East Dallas Ag said:

WTF??
The Pilot
AG
Is Cat going to have the musers sprinkled into every show?
Vince Blake
Good lord. Corby looks like an ugly lesbian.
ChipFTAC01
AG
'03ag said:

double aught said:

Gomer95 said:

New Tire Day is awesome.

Anybody that think that new tires are satisfying has never had ****ty old tires that drastically needed to be replaced.
agcraigb
AG
I think he is an angry lesbian.
PatAg
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

powerbelly said:

Except Corby and Davey have a bag of nothing, and Dan and Jake are talented.
double aught
AG
dave94 said:

I tuned in for a little bit also. The guys are totally just hair cuts.
What does this mean?
BoomGoesThe
walton91 said:

"Some friends" goes both ways. Whatever the status of their relationship, I thinks the blame here is probably 50/50. Plenty of Ticket guys have left for competing stations over the years that they have remained friends with.

Who are these "plenty" of Ticket guys you speak of?
double aught
AG
East Dallas Ag said:

Looks like Ellen Page in Juno

First Page Last Page
Page 430 of 571

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.