Metroplex
Sponsored by

1310 The Ticket - Hardline Question

2,244,292 Views | 19967 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by double aught
thriller03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Caught the first hour and a half plus a few minutes now with B&S….my take so far…

They are stressing how they aren't sports but might talk sports (leaves the wiggle room to talk a lot of sports if teams get good IMO, like a playoff run). They are talking about how management is so hands off. They are going to talk about the Ticket some. How they al finally have freedom to do something.

It kind of sounds aimless, but I know it's day one and they are giddy and have that startup energy. I think they are hoping that the *thought* that some KTCK dirty laundry might get aired will keep people listening. Then if a good team pops up locally, they can "go sports." In the meantime they'll grab some folks who don't like sports.

Also might get a re-motivated Little Ticket. It'll be fun but I l'll be curious to see ratings a year from now.
MaroonDontRun
AG
I think they summed the non sports station best when they said, when you are at a bar having a conversation about a subject you almost never have a injection about a team or a score every 15 minutes.

Makes some sense.
FTAco07
AG
Is the ticket going to immediately stop playing all drops from Mike, Mike, Julie? I would assume so and that's going to cost them some gold.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Doubtful. They played metal bats this afternoon. They only stopped with Greggo drops because he forced them
752bro4
AG
Stupid b+tch
Albatross Necklace
MaroonDontRun said:

MW03 said:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/commentary/2022/10/03/the-way-mike-rhyner-has-returned-to-dallas-radio-leaves-this-ticket-p1-awfully-conflicted/

Quote:

When I talked with Mike the day before The Freak's launch, I asked how he squares building a station on listener loyalty and then competing against his former partners for those same listeners.

"I don't have a real good answer for that right now," he said. "I realize I'm gonna have to square it in some way."
Quote:

Ticket program director Jeff Catlin told me he was as shocked as anyone when he first heard the rumors several weeks ago.

"I didn't believe it. And now I am really sad about it," he said. "Mike has a home on The Ticket for life, but he never contacted me about having the itch to get back on air."

Jeff doesn't understand why Mike never reached out to anyone at The Ticket about his plans.

"I didn't think it was their business," Mike told me when I asked why his longtime Ticket colleagues learned only through the grapevine of his plans to return.

Mike said sticking it to The Ticket or to owner Cumulus Media wasn't a motivator. But he followed up with the contention that he had been "minimized and marginalized" by almost everyone at the station.

Corby Davidson, who still works in the prestigious drive-time hours that he shared with Mike from January 2000 to his retirement 20 years later, said he has no idea what his former Hardline co-host means about being minimized.

"Mike was universally loved at The Ticket," Corby told me. "We hoisted him on our shoulders in retirement. We invited him to all our events. We had him on all our shows, as recently as August."

Corby said he and his colleagues believed Mike would always be the face and heartbeat of The Ticket. "He chose otherwise, and destroyed relationships that had been in existence for 30 years. It's heartbreaking and unconscionable."

I seem to remember Corby and Danny subtly taking shots at Mike periodically after retirement which I think gives away their attitude towards Mike. I think the nicname Snake is probably more appropriate than we realize.

Sirios Julie and Danny were forced out of The Ticket earlier this year.

Sirios and Julie got a spot at The Freak.

Danny didn't.

That says ALOT about Rhyner's opinion of Danny and by extension Corby.

bigcat22
AG
I just wish Rhynes would get over himself and forgive Greggo. He's apparently the only Ticket member Greggo hasn't made peace with, because Mike refuses to speak with him. A proper Hardline reunion would be huge.
Chewy
AG
bthotugigem05
AG
I'll still be a P1 but glad I have something to change to during commercials.
double aught
AG
Chewy said:

Will one of you please break it to Corby that he has a terrible haircut.
Ol Jock 99
AG
FTAco07 said:

Is the ticket going to immediately stop playing all drops from Mike, Mike, Julie? I would assume so and that's going to cost them some gold.

Why today doesn't suck ended with the standard Mike countdown, while Mike was on air on The Scab.
PatAg
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

FTAco07 said:

Why today doesn't suck ended with the standard Mike countdown, while Mike was on air on The Scab.
why would you call it the scab?
hoosier-daddy
Scabs cross the Union line
bthotugigem05
AG
Also I thought the Glenn bit was funny
Ol Jock 99
AG
Just being silly. The freak is a goofy name though.
Rudyjax
AG
'03ag
Bit?
'03ag
FTAco07
AG
No better way to debut The Freak morning show that going up against Peter King. Ratings for the first 15 minutes are going to be off the chart before tumbling.
sixiron
AG
I tuned in for a couple minutes and heard the word "like" about 15 times in 10 seconds.
bthotugigem05
AG
WHOA, LAPTOPS! DAMN!
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
double aught said:

Chewy said:

Will one of you please break it to Corby that he has a terrible haircut.

He looks like a 50 year old lesbian.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...
The Collective
AG
Quote:

Corby said he and his colleagues believed Mike would always be the face and heartbeat of The Ticket. "He chose otherwise, and destroyed relationships that had been in existence for 30 years. It's heartbreaking and unconscionable."

Those relationships are only intact as long as Mike does what they want him to do with his own life? Some friends...
DannyDuberstein
AG
Seems like there is some hairline recession attempting to be disguised. It's basically a Lakewood cool dad reverse combover. Covering up those power alleys
Rudyjax
AG
Tuned into the Ticket and the Freak this morning.

The musers were talking Cowboys and Cooper Rush.
The Freak was talking about Julie's candy dish.

Riveting content.

If i had to choose between a Cowboys and a candy dish conversation, I'd go with the Cowboys.
dave94
AG
I tuned in for a little bit also. The guys are totally just hair cuts.

We seem to now have FM Julie. I usually love her, so hopefully this is just her excitement at the start of something new and she's trying too hard.
zag213004
AG
"big tex" just took a jab at The Freak. Basically big tex made joke about his carnies colleagues and George said 'those are your coworkers' to which "big tex' said sometbing to the effect of 'that's right but that don't mean nothing these days'
Law Hall 69-72
AG
I liked the old Big Tex better. When he was talking about the gunfire overnight around Fair Park he said "it's a war zone down here" and "howdy ninos".
Just Tired
Ken Scarborough said:

Tuned into the Ticket and the Freak this morning.

The musers were talking Cowboys and Cooper Rush.
The Freak was talking about Julie's candy dish.

Riveting content.

If i had to choose between a Cowboys and a candy dish conversation, I'd go with the Cowboys.
true... when they're 3-and-1. 1-and-3 like many expected at this point might have made it a tougher decision. i'd take julie's candy dish over the rangers.
walton91
The Collective said:

Quote:

Those relationships are only intact as long as Mike does what they want him to do with his own life? Some friends...
"Some friends" goes both ways. Whatever the status of their relationship, I thinks the blame here is probably 50/50. Plenty of Ticket guys have left for competing stations over the years that they have remained friends with.
From the DMN column..."why not return to the place so identified with his best work and where he had lifelong friends? His response is that no one at the station ever specifically raised that possibility and he was not about to call them and ask." So he wanted back on the air but it was up to the Ticket to ask the guy who retired first? That doesn't make sense. Until 97.1 came calling, he said, "I was a very happy retiree." Jeff also doesn't understand why Mike never reached out to anyone at The Ticket about his future with 97.1. "I didn't think it was their business," Mike told me when I asked why his longtime Ticket colleagues learned only through the grapevine of his plans to return".

Mike is a stubborn old dude. Was it none of their business? Sure, that's fair. He's been out 2 years he can do what he likes, but clearly this move blindsided his friends at the Ticket, people he worked with for 20+ years. Mike said he felt minimized and marginalized after he left. When you don't see people everyday after they leave your company, its natural for the relationship to suffer. Sounds like Mike resented that, but given how lone wolf he can be, I wonder how much of an effort he made.

J.P. 03
AG
Would it qualify as an amazing, ironic note if the move to get all the hosts together to counter the Freak launch yesterday ends up backfiring spectacularly because Craig got them all sick?
AgGrad99
AG

Quote:

Forced out?

Sirios was offered a role on the HL but apparently turned it down. He said yesterday he's got nothing but love for all the people over there, etc. According to him, he just needed to go make some money, and realized his opportunity to do that at the Ticket was minimal.
Sling Blade
AG
What was Junior's announcement?
Gomer95
AG
That he had a fever last night and was broadcasting from his home lol. For real that was it.
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Quote:

Forced out?

Sirios was offered a role on the HL but apparently turned it down. He said yesterday he's got nothing but love for all the people over there, etc. According to him, he just needed to go make some money, and realized his opportunity to do that at the Ticket was minimal.
I missed this - was he offered Davey's role as third host? I find it hard to believe he would turn that down.
First Page Last Page
Page 429 of 571

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.