Metroplex
Sponsored by

1310 The Ticket - Hardline Question

2,249,557 Views | 19987 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by chupacabra tacos
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not that it's a big difference, but I think Davey is a year or two older than Sirois. So mid to late 40s
AgGrad99
AG
Sirios just sounds younger, even if he's not. He brings a LOT more energy.
bthotugigem05
AG
I think the future for the Ticket is more syndicated national shows, them not building bench strength would point in that direction I think. Musers and HL, syndicated stuff for everything else
tk for tu juan
bthotugigem05 said:

I think the future for the Ticket is more syndicated national shows, them not building bench strength would point in that direction I think. Musers and HL, syndicated stuff for everything else

The Ticket is going soft…

sterlicious
AG
powerbelly said:

dave94 said:

This whole deal reeks of Cat and Corby just bringing their buddy in.
I think Cat is the biggest part of the problem. He has never had to recruit talent (outside of convincing Bob and Dan to stay I guess). The fact that he isn't more focused on building a bench is astounding.
Until these last two departures, I felt like they've had the deepest bench they may have ever had. They've done a great job splitting the hosts for vacations and bringing in guys for spots here and there. I used to be so beaten down when the Hardline would go on vacation and any show other than Ben & Skin filled in. With as few departures as there are, I'm sure it's hard convincing good talent to sit around Dallas and do weekend shows too. I'm actually surprised Peter Welpton wasn't in the mix for HL producer. Davey would do better with coming up with bits like the ones Corby used to do in the '00s, but Peter would be pretty good as an occasional 4th voice.
mavsfan4ever
AG
dave94 said:

This whole deal reeks of Cat and Corby just bringing their buddy in. They don't need another 50-something perspective/sense of humor. That's why Jake has been such a welcome addition to the hosts. And this is coming from someone in their demographic.

Plus, Dave Lane doesn't bring all that much to the table anyway.

Bingo. Agreed on Jake. That's also why Sirois was refreshing (even though he was older he still acts younger and has a younger perspective on most things).
mavsfan4ever
AG
Peter would have been a better choice. But I'm pretty sure he has a real job and likely wouldn't want a full time producer or third host role.
Decay
AG
No clue on the context but I hopped in my car at the perfect time for Dan in some kind of hell... Paraphrasing but "Just resign yourself to everything you said you wouldn't become... That's exactly what you'll be. Everything sucks"
AgGrad99
AG
Question.

Norm uses up a long segment breaking down all the race horses in the upcoming race. The amount of people who care about that in the metroplex cant be more than a handful.

But even if you are one of those few who are interested in the horses....I cant imagine any of them want to hear Norm call a fake horse race? Why did he ever start doing that, and why doesn't someone end that segment?
Chewy
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

I'd be curious their numbers for audience and revenue between on air and stream. I'm in Houston and listen via the IHeart app and get quite a few Houston commercials which I assume are just cheap remnant ads I would guess. Maybe it's targeted and drives a decent CPM.

I only listen because of my time in DFW and still use Gordo for entertainment and news filtering. Not sure they have any national reach beyond fans of Dallas sports and familiarity with the hosts.

Will be interesting to see what happens over the next 10 years as I think the audience is splintering.
DannyDuberstein
AG
The fantasy horse race call is by far the most cringe thing I've ever heard on The Ticket and the only reason I think ot exists is because no one wants to deal with the wrath of Customer Service Norm
Hincemm
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Question.

Norm uses up a long segment breaking down all the race horses in the upcoming race. The amount of people who care about that in the metroplex cant be more than a handful.

But even if you are one of those few who are interested in the horses....I cant imagine any of them want to hear Norm call a fake horse race? Why did he ever start doing that, and why doesn't someone end that segment?

Same goes for the nfl name game. And the only reason I'm remotely interested is because of Dan's parody.
Old School Brother
AG
If you haven't watched the Gordon/Sirois twitch livestream, you should. Sirois admits that his decision was purely about money. He was about to lose his house by sticking with his current base salary at the Ticket, which he says was less than his age (he just turned 46). They get into a pretty long discussion about salaries and actually get pretty ticked at each other for a little bit. Sirois basically claiming that the "Tier 1" guys have some responsibility to make sure their support guys get taken care of a little better. He uses Big Strong Jer as an example. Claims at one point that he makes $37k and doesn't even get money for stuff like live spots and appearances like Sirois does. Gordon feigned ignorance, said he has no idea what anyone else at the Ticket makes besides Jub and Junior. Asked why he's responsible for anyone but himself. Said he wants everyone to be happy, but how can he be expected to help if Jer has never come to him and said that he thinks he's getting screwed financially.

Assuming Cat has watched that video, I would say the bridge for Sirois to come back has been burned, but who knows.
powerbelly
AG
I would be curious if the Musers could hold out for higher support staff salaries.
double aught
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Sirios just sounds younger, even if he's not. He brings a LOT more energy.
Theyhadmetalbatstoo,whichididn'tevenrealize.
East Dallas Ag
AG
i know there are other Ticket threads on other collegiate forums and Reddit, anyone look at those and is it pretty much the same general consensus as whats been posted here? While ratings are the ultimate indicator, you'd think if there was predominantly negative feedback from all of these sources, it might influence the Cats of the world.

powerbelly
AG
You can see for yourself:

https://www.reddit.com/r/theticket/
bthotugigem05
AG
I love their description of the Hardline: "It's hard to explain. It's like the kid from church camp went to a party and is hanging out with the guy who sells cocaine. Just not a lot in common."
walton91
Old School Brother said:

If you haven't watched the Gordon/Sirois twitch livestream, you should. Sirois admits that his decision was purely about money. He was about to lose his house by sticking with his current base salary at the Ticket, which he says was less than his age (he just turned 46). They get into a pretty long discussion about salaries and actually get pretty ticked at each other for a little bit. Sirois basically claiming that the "Tier 1" guys have some responsibility to make sure their support guys get taken care of a little better. He uses Big Strong Jer as an example. Claims at one point that he makes $37k and doesn't even get money for stuff like live spots and appearances like Sirois does. Gordon feigned ignorance, said he has no idea what anyone else at the Ticket makes besides Jub and Junior. Asked why he's responsible for anyone but himself. Said he wants everyone to be happy, but how can he be expected to help if Jer has never come to him and said that he thinks he's getting screwed financially.

Assuming Cat has watched that video, I would say the bridge for Sirois to come back has been burned, but who knows.

The clock started ticking for Mike about 4-5 years ago. I remember Danny (I think) going to his house to interview him for a segment. The subject of Norm wanting to work another 5 years came up and Mike nearly did a spit take hearing that back then. Fast forward 4-5 years and Mike just got tired of waiting on Norm to retire or came to terms with the fact that Norm may never retire
Old School Brother
AG
walton91 said:

Old School Brother said:

The clock started ticking for Mike about 4-5 years ago. I remember Danny (I think) going to his house to interview him for a segment. The subject of Norm wanting to work another 5 years came up and Mike nearly did a spit take hearing that back then. Fast forward 4-5 years and Mike just got tired of waiting on Norm to retire or came to terms with the fact that Norm may never retire
While I agree with that, Mike said on the Twitch stream with Gordo, and I think that he truly believes it, that Norm should be allowed to work as long as he wants. Not saying he's thrilled about it, but I really don't think he's pissed at Norm for not retiring.

I really wonder about the timeline for deciding to move Mino to producer and bring in Davey as a 3rd host on the Hardline. Sirois pretty clearly stated on the Twitch that he was offered the HL producer job, but it wasn't enough money to solve his problems. Did they know at that point that they were going to add Davey as a 3rd host? If not, it's pretty messed up that they basically made Sirois quit because he told them he wasn't making enough to live, then added a position that would add salary to that show. I definitely don't agree with whoever said that Davey is taking producer money ($50k) to do a host role. He may not be making as much as Corby and Bob, but he's also not doing it for charity.
dave94
AG
I could more easily see Dave Lane begging to be on the air and taking a low salary as opposed to the Ticket money whipping him to come.
PatAg
AG
sterlicious said:

PatAg said:

sterlicious said:

I generally love it when Davey fills in and really enjoyed his stint last Friday, but I, too, can't believe they filled a role like that with Davey and not Sirois or Danny. I kinda thought Danny was already filling that role TBH. I'm surprised Justin Montemayor isn't a bigger piece of this pie. He seems like he's really got something. Interesting to see how this goes in the future. I worry more about Bob leaving for a big ESPN TV gig or Junior deciding he's done with it all. Junior having a baby was probably great for the listeners as he may see reason to keep earning money longer than he would've otherwise.
Bob has a face for radio
You ever seen Paul Finebaum?
Why would I ever watch or listen to that ogre
Hincemm
AG
Old School Brother said:

While I agree with that, Mike said on the Twitch stream with Gordo, and I think that he truly believes it, that Norm should be allowed to work as long as he wants. Not saying he's thrilled about it, but I really don't think he's pissed at Norm for not retiring.

this is such a terrible decision by cat, mike, etc.

it sucks for the ratings, the P1s, and the ticket personnel.
PatAg
AG
He's not going to say he quit because Norm wouldnt retire, and Im sure he does actually like Norm.
You can like someone and also think they are being an ahole for staying long past their time
Old School Brother
AG
Hincemm said:

Old School Brother said:

this is such a terrible decision by cat, mike, etc.

it sucks for the ratings, the P1s, and the ticket personnel.
100% agree. They are so afraid of offending Norm. They could easily make 10-12 Boom in da House and let Norm have a few segments one day a week like Hansen used to get. That allows him to say he's still "broadcasting", but I doubt that they've even broached the subject with him. Stuff like the fantasy horse race calls and the super detailed draft stuff is just so past its prime.
sterlicious
AG
Norm is way more listenable for me since Grubes started creating all the crazy drops, but there are still plenty of days in the week that I tune in for the beginning of the show, hear the set list, and if they're talking about golf/horses/baseball will just tune out for the day. If they're talking Cowboys or Mavs, I might stick it out. I love Donnie and wish Boom in da House could be a thing now. Giving Norm a "Dale" hour a couple times a week seems like a nice compromise. Maybe he'd still want to do the draft coverage or Normathon.
DadAG10
Gotta hang on to the 76-89 demo group.
AgGrad99
AG
When they first announced Mike was leaving, Donnie said, 'i thought you and I were going to work together for the next 15+ years., and I'm sad that wont be happening'.

Donnie has to be a little annoyed as well.
DannyDuberstein
AG
AgGrad99 said:

When they first announced Mike was leaving, Donnie said, 'i thought you and I were going to work together for the next 15+ years., and I'm sad that wont be happening'.

Donnie has to be a little annoyed as well.

Donnie should be the most annoyed of all, other than Mike. He's left with his generic sports talk grandpappy, and an unknown partner and chemistry that may fail miserably when Norm does go. Assuming Norm doesn't outlive him which he might
EastSideAg2002
sterlicious said:

Norm is way more listenable for me since Grubes started creating all the crazy drops, but there are still plenty of days in the week that I tune in for the beginning of the show, hear the set list, and if they're talking about golf/horses/baseball will just tune out for the day. If they're talking Cowboys or Mavs, I might stick it out. I love Donnie and wish Boom in da House could be a thing now. Giving Norm a "Dale" hour a couple times a week seems like a nice compromise. Maybe he'd still want to do the draft coverage or Normathon.
But would they keep paying him as a full time host? I am not sure Mary would take that paycut.
sterlicious
AG
I gotta believe Mary will be doing just fine no matter what
sterlicious
AG
...and that's a very "Will Smith on Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" take that Gordo is taking towards Jer and Fernando's salaries
Old School Brother
AG
PatAg said:

He's not going to say he quit because Norm wouldnt retire, and Im sure he does actually like Norm.
You can like someone and also think they are being an ahole for staying long past their time
Sirois can simultaneously think that Norm has earned the right to stay as long as he wants and also not be thrilled that it is keeping him from getting a host gig. Both of those things can be true. He can also think that Cat should've come up with a creative solution like making Norm part time or offering him the 3rd host gig on the HL.

I don't believe that Sirois thinks Norm is being an ahole. I think he understands that Norm honestly doesn't realize that he's past his prime and people want him to retire. Norm's ego gets in the way of him realizing that he's holding Sirois back.
EllisCoAg
AG
And somewhere the Ole Grey Wolf is chuckling to himself
jefe95
AG
Aggie golfer Ryan Palmer on discussing LIV Golf.
First Page Last Page
Page 386 of 572

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.