Metroplex
Sponsored by

1310 The Ticket - Hardline Question

2,249,784 Views | 19987 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by chupacabra tacos
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
One of the interesting points Mike made was how many live ad spots he was doing. Basically every commercial break. Really makes Cat, Dan Bennett, and anyone else making decisions on salaries look ridiculous

Was also interesting how the "Tier 1" label and joking really started to get stuck in his craw, and he seemed to direct that at Junior. He said "I get reminded every other Friday on payday that I'm not Tier 1; I don't need to be reminded"
Cappo
AG
Norm needs to go. We just lost Sirois and that sucks
Spaceship
AG
Man paying Mike $45k in 2022 is an absolute joke. I'm assuming that's about what Danny made too then, but maybe he was a little higher due to tenure and time slot.

But Cumulus ran off their top minor league prospect for a huge radio station because they are so cheap. Mike always brought it and worked very hard and loved the station. I don't see why they couldn't better reward that. I don't blame him for leaving one bit.

What is their plan when one of the shows retires or leaves now? It will be a MAJOR drop off.
MW03
AG
MECH Abe said:

This fall Norm will discuss the aging Zeke holding back the younger, more capable Pollard without the least bit of irony.

Worth repeating
AG
I know this is Texags where everyone makes $250k base, but this is crazy talk

I dont know what the app brings in, but the OTA advertising CBD oils and testosterone therapy and crappy electricians and plumbing can't be bringing in enough to make everyone rich
DannyDuberstein
AG
That's a strawman. He was not asking to be made rich. But $45k for what was basically a 3rd host and who was thought so highly of that he is actually the one pitching a lot of those products instead of the two actual hosts is crazy. I think the quality of Norm's show is going to suffer pretty significantly over $20-30k
Demasiado
AG
I thought drunk Mike held his own against gordo
Law Hall 69-72
AG
I thought it was insulting that the best Cat could come up with to get Mike to stay was saying you're on mile 23 of a marathon.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Yea, the fact that most people wanted Sirois do the live spots shows how valuable he is. The companies know who the P1s like and follow and they accordingly picked Sirois. I will now listen to much less Ticket when Sirois is gone.

And I agree on the hosts being cheap. They always make comments about liking certain media stars bc they take care of their people, or at least Dan does. He just mentioned the other day that he respected lebitard and mcafee bc they took care of their crew. And honestly, Dan (and maybe Bob) seems like he would be one of the only hosts up there who actually may go to bat for his guys or give up a little pay for them.

It's ridiculous if the hosts are making big bucks (no clue what they make but I'd guess at least 300k) and Sirois is making 45k. I get guys like jer bc he doesn't talk at all and advertisers aren't wanting him to do anything. But Sirois was worth much more than that.
powerbelly
AG
200-350
mavsfan4ever
AG
Really hope Sirois starts a podcast once his noncompete is over (if he had one). I'd be an immediate listener
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, he was trying to look out for his buddy Jeremy in his argument with Gordo, but his own case is much stronger. Board Ops have come and gone, and most have shown they can do what Jer can. Some jobs are indeed $40-50k jobs. But they have a whole talent-less group of Saturday morning and fill-in guys who prove every week and every dry dock that they can't do anything close to what Mike can and he was providing a ton more than $45k of value
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
I'd include Jake in the group that would go to bat for the producers / board ops. He did those jobs for 10+ years so he knows how little those guys make and how hard they work.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Danny's leaving seemed more of a principled stand. Mike made it clear that he loved the job but now that he's divorced, he just can't pay a household worth of bills on $45k.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Bob Loblaws Law Blog said:

I'd include Jake in the group that would go to bat for the producers / board ops. He did those jobs for 10+ years so he knows how little those guys make and how hard they work.

Yea that's probably true. But I'm still not sure if Jake is making enough to truly go to bat for them by taking a little less money if it goes to them. Which, if true, is crazy bc Jake is great.
mavsfan4ever
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Yeah, he was trying to look out for his buddy Jeremy in his argument with Gordo, but his own case is much stronger. Board Ops have come and gone, and most have shown they can do what Jer can. Some jobs are indeed $40-50k jobs. But they have a whole talent-less group of Saturday morning and fill-in guys who prove every week and every dry dock that they can't do anything close to what Mike can and he was providing a ton more than $45k of value

As Dan and Jake say, I'd love to have been in the meeting where cat or Dan Bennett or someone at cumulus said Mike isn't worth more than 45k and they could easily replace him. So ridiculous.

And totally agree on board ops. Anyone can learn how to do that job and be good at it after a short amount of time. They are fairly easy to replace.
Just Tired
Spaceship said:

What is their plan when one of the shows retires or leaves now? It will be a MAJOR drop off.

pull somebody out of lynchburg or cleveland.
Demasiado
AG
I was very much in the camp that the ticket can do no wrong but this is such old school management bs of not paying key support personnel. Norm is unlistenable, and anyone that he brings is outside the ticket's target demographic. This is the reason why all radio stations have a shelf life
WC87
AG
Should have put Norm on 2 or 3 day work week and made Sirios a decent enough host offer to pair with Donnie.

But that didn't happen and we've got fantasy call of the Belmont in perpetuity.

Duck that.
DallasAggie89
hoosier-daddy
The Norm hate has been on this board for over 15 years. I'm still a Norm P1.
Nagler
AG
hoosier-daddy said:

The Norm hate has been on this board for over 15 years. I'm still a Norm P1.

So you're the one.
amg405
AG
Just checking to remind everyone how trash the Ticket is now. Radio is dead.

Top 5 sports podcasts are all better every. single. day. than the Ticket.

Try Pardon My Take for a week and tell me it isn't 100% better than the Ticket.
powerbelly
AG
amg405 said:

All the barstool stuff is so bad.
AgGrad99
AG
His comments about the Tier labels were pretty harsh and completely understandable
double aught
AG
I'm typically a Junior fan. But his occasional talk of tier status comes across as incredibly rude and arrogant.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
double aught said:

I'm typically a Junior fan. But his occasional talk of tier status come across as incredibly rude and arrogant.

So...typical Junior.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Thought it was also interesting how in spite of Mike repeating "We are reminded every other Friday" numerous times and the reference being seemingly obvious in context of the conversation, he eventually had to explain to Gordo what he meant by Friday ("Paychecks!") because he didn't understand why he was referencing Fridays. A little insight into folks scraping by on their $40k because Friday is important with bills to pay vs someone that isn't

I thought that ended up a pretty great, inadvertent illustration of what he was talking about where these dudes are taking shots at non-tier 1 without a thought ever being given to the fact they are scraping by.
Hincemm
AG
amg405 said:

tell me you're a dude bro without telling me you're a dude bro
WC87
AG
I always thought the Tier 1 talk was incredibly condescending and I know in my line of work could violate HR policy. Can you imagine openly discussing grouping of employees in tiers, and then doing that on air? And I'm not talking exempt vs non-exempt. Slotting a coworker with a Tier 4 tag and yourself as Tier 1 would never fly at my company. We all know employees are in pay bands but that's not open discussion fodder, and certainly not broadcast to the world.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I work for big corporate and while HR is a pain in the ass, one area where I felt ours always did a great job was helping us scope roles properly so that we leveled them correctly and as a result could pay correctly. and when needed, worked well with us when changes were needed. And then periodically, they do pay equity analysis and "predictive pay" analysis to make sure no one is getting screwed. I don't know how management or HR can let something get so out of hand that a guy can essentially become a 3rd host and everyone just happily looks the other way on salary
Nagler
AG
At the end of the day there are very definite tiers at a radio station. To say there isn't a difference between the main hosts on the 4 big shows and everyone else isn't realistic. It may be bad taste to talk about it but at the end of the day this isn't your typical office situation. Closer to a professional sports organization. Your players, i.e. main hosts are tier 1. The rest of the support staff, producers, ticker people, etc, are on lower tiers. Sorry it hurt Mike's feelings but at the end of the day most people don't turn into the station to listen to him.
DannyDuberstein
AG
If you listened, Sirois' point was that there is no tier 2. You are tier 1 or you are $40k and under dirt

Well, his point was that and the fact that tier 1 guys rubbing their nose in it was pretty sorry
Hincemm
AG
yeah...i think this mike interview will end tier talk on the ticket...
Chewy
AG
This looks like another corporate regularity where you have people in upper management milking all they can in the short time they have left and padding their existing nest.

The hosts drive ratings and ratings drive advertising dollars. They don't care about anything other than the next ratings book and managing expenses.

Sounds like Big Dan and Cat have on serious blinders due to corporate mandates, loyalty, and padding their nest as much as they can. They know they're done making money when their time at Cumulus is done.
First Page Last Page
Page 379 of 572

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.