Metroplex
Sponsored by

1310 The Ticket - Hardline Question

2,249,547 Views | 19987 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by chupacabra tacos
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MECH Abe said:

This fall Norm will discuss the aging Zeke holding back the younger, more capable Pollard without the least bit of irony.

TRUTH
Demasiado
AG
Donny tearing up almost got me
dcAg
It is that absolute truth and reality of the situation.
ftworthag02
AG
So true
bthotugigem05
AG
Yep, hosts will have to step it up, Cumulus has specifically posted in the job opening that producer is not going to be an on-air role.
Bones08
AG
What a bummer of an announcement. Sirois was great. Always liked listening to Sirois and Donny and seriously thought I would be hearing them together for years and years once Norm was gone.

I'm not upset at Norm. I'm upset at Cumulus for not having the balls to force Norm to retire or force him into a reduced roll (give him the old Dale Hansen treatment and have him on a couple hours a week or something).

I honestly can't believe the station is mortgaging their future for another year or two of Norm (please only be for another year or two).
DannyDuberstein
AG
I'd also be crying if i was Donnie. Carrying a show with just Norm and no Mike to keep your sanity would suck so bad. The me and grandpappy show
Stive
AG
Assuming Norm is the reason that Mike is leaving and it's not just Mike wanting to go work with Cash in his businesses, is it possible that Norm has some kind of extended nasty contract that Cumulus doesn't want to fight about? Customer Service Norm is absolutely going to drag his attorney into the mix if Cumulus tries to adjust his hours or contract parameters in any way right? That obviously doesn't keep Cumulus from moving Mike to the Hardline with extensive fill in work from time to time.....

That makes me think this was just Mike choosing to move on to a different role in life.
MW03
AG
I think him wanting to work with his brother is a huge part of it. I'm surprised because I get the impression that he enjoys being "local" famous, and that will wane some. He's got such a big personality I'm sure he'll be fine no matter where he goes, but I think a lot of his notoriety is thanks in part to the ticket and i wonder how much of that will stick around. I know I don't really care to follow Rhyner much anymore, but that's me. I was never on Sirois twitch feeds or whatever anyway.

As for Cumulus, I think they may have shot themselves in the foot a little bit. I imagine that those tier 2 personalities that were ready kept the other hosts in check a little bit. When you save a buck by not keeping the replacements around, you give the hosts pretty much all the leverage because there's nobody waiting in the wings to take over if they demand too much.
Law Hall 69-72
AG
I think Norm will be there as long as he wants to because of his relationship with Dan Bennett. Dan was his producer at KLIF when Dan first came to Dallas.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Good point on hosts having a little more leverage. As far as the potential Norm contract stuff above, surely he's been on short enough deals that the opportunity to alter the scope has presented itself multiple times in the not too distant past
walton91
Stive said:

Assuming Norm is the reason that Mike is leaving and it's not just Mike wanting to go work with Cash in his businesses, is it possible that Norm has some kind of extended nasty contract that Cumulus doesn't want to fight about? Customer Service Norm is absolutely going to drag his attorney into the mix if Cumulus tries to adjust his hours or contract parameters in any way right? That obviously doesn't keep Cumulus from moving Mike to the Hardline with extensive fill in work from time to time.....

That makes me think this was just Mike choosing to move on to a different role in life.
Norm is on a 2 year deal, but I'm pretty sure he just signed it earlier this year. Not long term, but also not going anywhere right now.
DannyDuberstein
AG
The talent pipeline is now bare. They need to flush these god awful weekend morning shows and see if they can't find a crop of younger talent. Country Force, Work In Progress, Elf. All awful and they've all had shows for years. Not gonna get better
Law Hall 69-72
AG
Elf is extra, extra, extra crispy bad.
AG
I enjoy Elf on Sunday morning because he actually talks college sports when everyone else is NFL.
The Collective
AG
Really wish Cumulus would just sell off the Ticket.
True Anomaly
AG
MW03 said:

As for Cumulus, I think they may have shot themselves in the foot a little bit. I imagine that those tier 2 personalities that were ready kept the other hosts in check a little bit. When you save a buck by not keeping the replacements around, you give the hosts pretty much all the leverage because there's nobody waiting in the wings to take over if they demand too much.
I can't imagine there's anyone on the corporate level at Cumulus who gives two ****s about producers at the Ticket. I bet it's also why when Jake fought his contract they actually caved and compromised- because Jake has been a host for two years and his show does get great ratings in the right demographic. But a producer trying to get more for themselves? No way
Spaceship
AG
Instead of an elevated spot for Sirois, he's leaving…this is a big bummer

Somehow I feel Norm is responsible too
AgLaw
AG
That's two talented/longtime Ticket producers gone in the last month. Did Cumulus cut pay?
Moe Jzyslak
AG
They certainly didn't increase pay. With the economy right now, no raise is equal to a pay cut, so yeah.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Is there more color on listening data? As the hosts have gotten older I wonder if there is a crop of excited 20-somethings who worship the station the way there has been in the past. Is Jake the last of that era? I like Mino as a board op but sometimes he has a bag when it comes to hardcore sports talk.
The Collective
AG
Spaceship said:

Somehow I feel Norm is responsible too

He probably is, but I can't blame him for continuing to work. Mary has gotta eat after Norm goes.
Nagler
AG
Someone that knows him above posted that his brother was doing very well. He's leaving to work with his brother.

Seems like brother Cash called and said come work for you and I'll pay you a lot more.

Time to go.
Matsui
AG
What is cash doing?
Legal Custodian
AG
I'm still holding out hope that if a host position opens up in the next 2-3 years that Sirois will be their first call.
Old School Brother
AG
Cash has a video production company called The Well Creative that does a ton of work for the Mavs and also has a fairly new company called The Collectible Network that deals with sports memorabilia. Mike was already working some for Cash around his Ticket schedule, but apparently Cash has a lot of work that he needs help with and I'm sure he can pay his brother pretty handsomely. I'm sure it would've taken a tier 1 gig at the ticket to keep Mikey from making this move.
J.P. 03
AG
Quote:

Later, in a phone interview, Sirois said he weighed the decision carefully, checking in with Ticket employees and then reaching his conclusion.

"How long do you continue to something that's perfect and fun everyday versus some other opportunities that might come your way." he said. "I think it will be a better financial opportunity than sticking around."

A Cumulus station
Hincemm
AG
Legal Custodian said:

I'm still holding out hope that if a host position opens up in the next 2-3 years that Sirois will be their first call.
my exact comment to a buddy. 5 years from now, norm hangs it up, morning drive hands it up, and you have boom in the house.
Hincemm
AG
J.P. 03 said:

Quote:

Later, in a phone interview, Sirois said he weighed the decision carefully, checking in with Ticket employees and then reaching his conclusion.

"How long do you continue to something that's perfect and fun everyday versus some other opportunities that might come your way." he said. "I think it will be a better financial opportunity than sticking around."

A Cumulus station
that's the rub. a lot of these guys have to trade doing what they love/enjoy (mike said as much) for dollars...er cash
hoosier-daddy
So TC got laid off. Anybody know who he worked for?
Legal Custodian
AG
hoosier-daddy said:

Where did you see that?

Speculation he'll come back possibly?
hoosier-daddy
No. IJB

At the end he said he was "directing podcast stuff"

And Jake said when he was off the air it was due to contract.
DannyDuberstein
AG
No cirque and no fill-ins makes this one feel like it ended a bit contentiously with management.
MavsAg
AG
Legal Custodian said:

hoosier-daddy said:

Where did you see that?

Speculation he'll come back possibly?
Please no
ac04
occurred to me this morning that the two people responsible for "metal bats, too" by the red hot chili peppers are both gone now.
First Page Last Page
Page 377 of 572

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.