Metroplex
Sponsored by

Portillos is coming

75 Views | 87 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by shoes
AgBQ-00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just found out today that Portillos is building a location in north ft worth up by living spaces
cadetjay02
AG
They are about done with one in The Colony, currently hiring. I've never had it but I hear good things and will never turn down chocolate cake.
DallasAggie89
AG
cadetjay02 said:

They are about done with one in The Colony, currently hiring. I've never had it but I hear good things and will never turn down chocolate cake.

The Colony location hasn't even started to go vertical. Doubt it opens before early 2023.
Moe Jzyslak
AG
I make a point to go when I'm in Chicago. Really good stuff. A little on the pricey side.

Hot dogs are great, Italian beef sandwiches are insane, and their chocolate cake shake is probably the best shake I've ever had from a fast food/fast casual place
bert harbinson
AG
Have an employee from Chicago, she's been talking up the Italian beef for years.
Duncan Idaho
An I the only one that thought it was por-tea-yos and was surprised by the menu?
Saxsoon
AG
I had it in phoenix. Solid dog
Trajan88
AG
Went to one of the Portillo's food truck stops held in N. Texas about 6 weeks ago.

Waited about 90 min. to sample their Chicago-style dog, Italian beefs/sausage sandwich, and crinkle cut fries.

All very good.

Looking forward to their opening at Grandscape at The Colony (the rep. said they were targeting a December open).

Option if you need a Italian beefs fix... highly recommend TJ's Dawg House (food truck) ... sets up at the Lowe's parking lot (near old Richardson Square Mall) and also at Four Bullets Brewery.

https://yelp.to/P82FO4PJ4sb
Know Your Enemy
AG
In Chicago a lot of people are *****ing because apparently they sold out to a Boston based company. I went to 2 different locations in Chicago back in July. One was pretty good and the other was very good. Either way it's better than anything else down here. Get the Italian beef with hot peppers and/or a Maxwell Street Polish. Thank me later.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Oh, I've heard rumors that eventually there will be about 15 locations in DFW. The next one is McKinney I believe and then Keller.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Mr Beef and Al's are better beef sandwiches but portillos dominates the hot dog game
rsf0626
I'm hoping they have one in Dallas proper. I feel like lower greenville would be a perfect location. Deep ellum on the other hand…
double aught
AG
Trajan88 said:

Option if you need a Italian beefs fix... highly recommend TJ's Dawg House (food truck) ... sets up at the Lowe's parking lot (near old Richardson Square Mall) and also at Four Bullets Brewery.

Those guys are always in that parking lot blasting yacht rock and other older jams.
Trajan88
AG
Yep... Seals and Crofts or Dr. Hook rockin' the parking lot. \m/

chick79
AG
I tried TJs Dawg House once for a Chicago dog. No poppyseed bun. You must have the poppyseed bun to be authentic!
Know Your Enemy
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Mr Beef and Al's are better beef sandwiches but portillos dominates the hot dog game
I never went to Al's growing up but they had one for a brief time in Addison on Belt Line. Went there twice and both times it was mediocre at best.
FTAco07
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Double emphasis here. Mr Beef on Orleans also happens to be the building that is used as the restaurant for the show The Bear
bco2003
AG
Quote:

Portillo's food truck schedule in Dallas-Fort Worth in September 2022

- Dallas Arboretum at lunchtime Sept. 13 and 14, starting at 10:30 a.m. Park at Gate 4. Those who aren't Dallas Arboretum members will pay $10 to get into the grounds.
- Harvest House in Denton on Sept. 16. Hours are 2 p.m. until dinnertime, while supplies last.
- Taste of Oak Cliff from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Sept. 17 and 18. Festivalgoers have to pay $20 entry fee to get in to the event.
- Nebraska Furniture Mart in The Colony on Sept. 20. Hours are 4 p.m. through dinnertime, while supplies last.
- Truck Yard in Dallas on Sept. 21. Hours are 11 a.m. for lunch and dinner, while supplies last.
- Truck Yard in The Colony on Sept. 22 and 23. Hours are 11 a.m. for lunch and dinner, while supplies last.
- Texas Live! in Arlington on Sept. 24. Starts at 11 a.m., while supplies last.

The Beef Bus that's a pretty great name, no? will sell four items: an Italian beef sandwich; a hot dog, served Chicago-style with mustard, relish, celery salt, onions, sliced tomatoes, pickle and sport peppers; and two versions of a Polish sausage. (The chargrilled Polish sausage is served like a Chicago-style hot dog with all the fixins. The Maxwell Street Polish sausage comes with yellow mustard and grilled onions.)

https://www.dallasnews.com/food/restaurant-news/2022/09/08/chicago-restaurant-portillos-to-sell-italian-beef-sandwiches-at-these-7-north-texas-spots/
Know Your Enemy
AG
Looks like they'll be at Texas Live for the Arky game for anyone going to that.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I've been told they open 12/30/22.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

Still on track for 12/30 from what I've been able to gather. Drove past last week and it seems like they still have a lot left to finish, though.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Still on track for 12/30 from what I've been able to gather. Drove past last week and it seems like they still have a lot left to finish, though.
ain't no way they're opening in 3 weeks.
PatAg
AG
I've only ever heard of their hotdogs, I didnt evev know they made sandwiches.
fka ftc
PatAg said:

Italian beef sandwiches are great. Hot dogs too.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Maxwell Street Polish is amazing.
AgsWin2011
AG
Don't forget about the chocolate cake shakes!
Know Your Enemy
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Know Your Enemy said:

ain't no way they're opening in 3 weeks.
Just talked to someone at their corporate office. They never announced the 12/30 opening date and aren't sure how that got out. Anyway, there has been a delay of 2-3 weeks in opening. She wouldn't give me an estimated date but said it would be all over social media once they finalize it.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Went to the beef bus last Wednesday and it looked like they were training folks in the hotel it was set up at.
DannyDuberstein
AG
PatAg said:

The italian beef with hot peppers is absolutely awesome. Beats any hotdog i've ever had.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Seems to have opened today
jpc08
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

Maxwell Street Polish but on their french bread is where it's at. The normal hot dog bun doesn't hold up well.
bert harbinson
AG
Have an employee on a take-out mission. Got there before opening today and was #6 in line. Have another employee who is from Chicago, she's been talking up the Italian beef for years. Will report back after lunch.
Know Your Enemy
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Seems to have opened today
Official grand opening is next Wednesday but the soft opening was yesterday. I think I will roll out there Saturday afternoon to see how long the wait is.
Know Your Enemy
AG
jpc08 said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Maxwell Street Polish but on their french bread is where it's at. The normal hot dog bun doesn't hold up well.
The poppy seed bun works for me.
bert harbinson
AG
New store problems, left one sandwich off our order, had to go back. And mine was wrong, a combo instead of Italian Beef, but no big deal. Not a fan of sausage, but this was really tasty and very satisfying. I can understand the hype.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.